Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - California Beaches

Options
Ozzie_Isaac
Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,042
I have always gone to Rocky Point (Mexico) or La Jolla when I wanted beaches.

Due to current political climate, I am skipping Mexico this year.  La Jolla has gotten super expensive.

With that in mind, does anyone know of some good beaches near smaller towns in California with somewhat reasonable prices?  Kind of the hidden gems locals go to?
A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS

Comments

• chipman
    chipman Posts: 85
    Options
    Pacifica and Half Moon Bay just south of San Francisco are two popular destinations. Cost is relative however.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    Pismo beach.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    bud812 said:
    Pismo beach.
    +1  You can have a fire on the beach and it's the only one in CA I know of that you can drive on. 
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    Central Coast has a couple of nice beaches, Pismo Beach and Avila Beach, a little
    cooler than La Jolla, but
    a nice option 
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • SSQUAL612
    Options
    SSQUAL612 said:
    bud812 said:
    Pismo beach.
    +1  You can have a fire on the beach and it's the only one in CA I know of that you can drive on. 
    Plus there are wineries nearby if that interest you and Hearst Castle if you want to play tourist.  Steamers use to be a great place for a nice dinner.  
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options
    I stayed in a beachfront hotel in Carlsbad that was quite affordable.  If you go there, make sure you eat at Fish House Veracruz.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,760
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Depends on what you want to do, I prefer Morro ( was there last week ) Cayucous or Cambria, much cooler and not the sun you will get in Avila and Pismo, plus far fewer people...if you want to play in the Sun, Santa Monica Pismo or Avila....Half Moon Bay is Nice and closer to Monterey
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Thank you all for the suggestions.  Time to check them all out :)
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,760
    Options
    Thank you all for the suggestions.  Time to check them all out :)
    If you go to Morro, two bars there, the Siren and Legends....Order a Larry Shot named after me, not to say that I go to those bars A Lot  =)
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • baychilla
    baychilla Posts: 387
    Options
    Stinson beach and Muir beach.  North of San Francisco on the other side of the bay.  Also Limantour beach in the Pt. Reyes area.
    Near San Francisco in California
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    That's no way to talk about CA wimmin. They're not all beaches. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,746
    Options
    GregW said:
    Well played
    Stillwater, MN
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    GregW said:
    That place continually disappoints.  It was always a dare in high school to walk it.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    @caliking I was going to go there especially since SWMBO is from CA and fully qualifies but since you waded into the pool first-Most Eggcellent!  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    GregW said:
    Went there once back in the mid 70’s on a dare during high school. Let’s just say, for a 17 year old kid, not was I was expecting! Lot of sagging boobs and overweight perverts runnin around. 
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    jabam said:
    GregW said:
    Went there once back in the mid 70’s on a dare during high school. Let’s just say, for a 17 year old kid, not was I was expecting! Lot of sagging boobs and overweight perverts runnin around. 
    Same thing in the 90s.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    jabam said:
    GregW said:
    Same thing in the 90s.
    @Ozzie_Isaac perhaps you found the same crowd 20 years on!!  And that would definitely burn your eyes.
    Now European beaches- a much different clientele and much younger.  Eyesight restored =)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    jabam said:
    GregW said:
    Same thing in the 90s.
    @Ozzie_Isaac perhaps you found the same crowd 20 years on!!  And that would definitely burn your eyes.
    Now European beaches- a much different clientele and much younger.  Eyesight restored =)
    Oh, very true my friend.  I love European sensibilities.  I wish the prudes had stayed in England.
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    I've stayed in Pismo a few times and have visited nearby beaches, great part of Cali. The wife and I love the central coast. Anyone hitting the wineries in that area let me know and I'll give you some small places with top notch wines. I'll throw one out for you now. Rancho Sisquoc.
  • SSQUAL612
    Options
    jabam said:
    GregW said:

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    jabam said:
    GregW said:
    Same here, in college.  Lots of sailors for some reason.
  • SSQUAL612
    Options
    Legume said:
    jabam said:
    GregW said:
    Same here, in college.  Lots of sailors for some reason.
    Nothing wrong with lots of Sailors.   

• Vonbergmann
    Options
    You might want to check out Ventura or, Carpinteria Both have great beaches and are nowhere near as crowded as LA/Orange country beaches. In Ventura, it is a 5 minute stroll to the downtown area, which has a ton of shops and restaurants. And if you want to check out surfers depot their thing, there are always folks in the water at C Street in Ventura. Carpinteria is a very small town, and it's one of the safest beaches regarding no undertows. Oh, and The Spot next to the State Beach has great hamburgers. Can't go wrong either way.

Mel
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    North county San Diego, or skip all the way up to Ventura County.  A day kicking around Santa Barbara is a good day.