Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

SRF Chicago Style Hot Dogs

dstearn
dstearn Posts: 1,702
My local butcher stocks SRF steaks and hot dogs so we are now on a weekly Hot Dog dinner craze. And the Lamb Weston Hand Cut fries were rated #1 by the Chicago Tribune.

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    I have ordered them in the past when they had a good sale. Really great dogs.
    I need to seek out those fries.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    I love Chicago Style hotdogs. Living in the South, they are not common.
    The hotdog isn't hard to find, the trouble is finding the correct bun.

Your meal looks great..
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,540
    I am a sucker for a hotdog... especially a great one!!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    We do dogs every couple weeks too. I use the 1/4# plus Costco Beef Dinner Franks. They are a really good dog.
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    That ain't a hot dog, it's a salad! I love Chicago Deep Dish pizza, but I draw the line at their dogs! Tomatoes? Glow in the dark relish? Dill pickles? On a hot dog? I'm with Jon Stewart...  "Everybody knows there's three acceptable condiments for a hot dog. There's mustard, onions and stagnant cart water. That’s IT."  =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Needs ketchup. Make Hotdogs Great Again. 
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,829
    jeffwit said:
    This.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Looks great!

Remember when Sam's club used to sell a chicago dog... those were the days.

I can't find that weird colored relish - any tips?
    Phoenix 
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    blasting said:
    Looks great!

Chernobyl
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    blasting said:
    Looks great!

Aside from a nuclear waste facility, you could try Amazon...

https://www.amazon.com/Vienna-Chicago-Style-Relish-12oz/dp/B01LYYYQEB/ref=sr_1_3_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1524256927&sr=8-3&keywords=vienna+beef+chicago+relish

But WHY would you DO that?

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    How do they stack up to a Vienna beef dog?
  • dstearn
    jeffwit said:
    blasting said:
    Looks great!

Chernobyl
    Vienna Relish same as the Vienna Beef Hot Dog
  • dstearn
    How do they stack up to a Vienna beef dog?
    They are larger and taste better.  Costs more but it is Wagyu Beef.
  • dstearn
    Foghorn said:
    jeffwit said:
    This.
    Try ordering a hot dog with ketchup at the Weiner Circle in Chicago sometime. lol
  • Cubs1908
    Cubs1908 Posts: 11
    Don't forget the celery salt!  Also the hot dog would be boiled not grilled. 

Schaumburg, IL
  • CornfedMA
    CornfedMA Posts: 491
    dstearn said:
    Foghorn said:
    jeffwit said:
    This.
    Try ordering a hot dog with ketchup at the Weiner Circle in Chicago sometime. lol
    There should be a law against putting ketchup on a hotdog if you’re over th age of 10.

That is a damn good looking dog though. 
  • blasting

So after reading this thread, I've been to Albertsons, Basha's, Fry's, Trader Joes, and Whole Foods.

Failed to find either the relish or the peppers.  Might stop at RD tomorrow - there's a good chance they may have the relish.  I love Chicago dogs, and now I'm on a mission.

Phoenix 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    I'm a fan of a great hot dog and my own version of the Chicago style dog. In addition I love my version of the popular Southern great dog sold at The Varsity Club  franchise. BTW today I purchased 36 dogs from Costco inspite of never ever having as much as a taste. 

What I would really like to be able to buy locally is the Maxwell Street brand of Polish. Any of my Chicago based fellow eggers know a place to buy them???
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • dstearn
    Cubs1908 said:

I forgot to mention the celery salt. There are two styles of Chicago Style dogs. Steamed or Chared. The Weiner Circle is famous for their Char Dogs. 
  • dstearn
    blasting said:

So after reading this thread, I've been to Albertsons, Basha's, Fry's, Trader Joes, and Whole Foods.

Failed to find either the relish or the peppers.  Might stop at RD tomorrow - there's a good chance they may have the relish.  I love Chicago dogs, and now I'm on a mission.

You can can order all the Vienna products online directly from their site or Amazon. You may want to check Walmart in your area as well.

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    blasting said:

Jewel out of Chicago runs Vienna dogs on sale $2.99/pack.  Always stock up for camping season as they're a great bargain, and taste great.  The WI cheese filled ones rock too.  They have the Vienna condiments in stock.  Let me know if you can't find it and I'll send ya some stuff.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• dstearn
    RRP said:
    I'm a fan of a great hot dog and my own version of the Chicago style dog. In addition I love my version of the popular Southern great dog sold at The Varsity Club  franchise. BTW today I purchased 36 dogs from Costco inspite of never ever having as much as a taste. 

What I would really like to be able to buy locally is the Maxwell Street brand of Polish. Any of my Chicago based fellow eggers know a place to buy them???
    Ron, Bobak makes a Maxwell Polish Sausage. I believe Walmart stocks Bobak. Check the Bobak site to see where you can purchase in your area.
  • blasting
    Focker said:
    blasting said:

Jewel out of Chicago runs Vienna dogs on sale $2.99/pack.  Always stock up for camping season as they're a great bargain, and taste great.  The WI cheese filled ones rock too.  They have the Vienna condiments in stock.  Let me know if you can't find it and I'll send ya some stuff.

Thank you @Focker , that's mighty kind of you. 

I made a dog tonight, mostly Chicago style.  Used trappey's peppers instead of sport peppers, sesame bun instead of poppy seed, and regular sweet relish - not neon.  Made for a great dinner - it was delicious.  I'm a man of simple tastes.
    Phoenix 
  • Teefus
    This makes me sad
  • Teefus
    In about 1966 my Dad took me to Tiger Stadium for a ball game. When the hot dog guy came around we both got one. I asked for ketchup. I noted the look of alarm on all the nearby faces. The vendor said " we don't put ketchup on a hot dog at Tiger stadium, only mustard". It was a learning moment. I haven't had ketchup on a dog since. Yellow mustard, chopped onion, a little cheese sometimes, and if I'm feeling daring I'll add some chili. I can still hear the crack of the bat...
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    On an old Casey Kasem, he talked to Mary Wells about opening hot dog stands across the country, pink cadillacs with gold and platinum wheels resembling records.  Her 1/4lb dog being dubbed "My Guy".  With chili it would be the "Motown", all washed down with "You Beat Me To The Punch" punch.  

Googled for pics, got nothin'.  Apparently that vision, never came to fruition.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Grif
    Grif Posts: 47
    Cubs1908 said:

Actually, thats steamed, just sayin....