Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Double brisket cook tonight.

Options

Comments

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Logger said:
    Ron, please tell me her first name and I will include her in my prayers.
    By the way, good job bud.
    Thank you for the kindness for our loved ones.
    Her name is Martha, and she will certainly appreciate your efforts.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    @YukonRon That dog is cute. It also looks like it's in the uncoordinated puppy phase double dipped in energy, curiosity, and playfulness. Oh, and did I say energy? I'm sure everything goes in the mouth at this point...

As all of the others have said, you are doing a good thing for your friends. I am reminded of this quote by Gandalf from The Hobbit, "I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.”  I always admire folks like you that actually DO something for those that are hurting or in need. Yes, many others here might do the same, but that does not diminish the good deed you are doing.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Dave in Florida
    Options
    Great thing you are doing there.  Wishing your friend the best while they fight this terrible illness.  I wish our RD would carry prime again.  I was told they stopped because of low sales of prime.  
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • YukonRon
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    @YukonRon That dog is cute. It also looks like it's in the uncoordinated puppy phase double dipped in energy, curiosity, and playfulness. Oh, and did I say energy? I'm sure everything goes in the mouth at this point...

As all of the others have said, you are doing a good thing for your friends. I am reminded of this quote by Gandalf from The Hobbit, "I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.”  I always admire folks like you that actually DO something for those that are hurting or in need. Yes, many others here might do the same, but that does not diminish the good deed you are doing.
    It does not take a lot to be kind, especially if you are fortunate in life to have friends like you and everyone on the forum. It was not a problem to throw a second brisket on to an XL.

You are so correct about all energy 24/7. This puppy, 6 months at the end of this week, has been a challenge, but she is very intelligent.

Trying to get the girls in this house to remember she is a dog and not a human is the real challenge. "It is always the owners, not the dog." Certainly applies here.

It has been fun. I had not had the heart or the will to get "all in" on owning another pet, since I lost my Golden. This pup, has erased much of that.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Great thing you are doing there.  Wishing your friend the best while they fight this terrible illness.  I wish our RD would carry prime again.  I was told they stopped because of low sales of prime.  
    I understand exactly what you are talking about. It seems they are shiwing up more here, due to an opportunity with Costco quality being down a bit.

I still do not see them very often, but when I do, I grab one.

Thank you for the kind words and thoughts.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    That there is some good looking black gold.  We need more friends in this world like you.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• YukonRon
    Options
    That there is some good looking black gold.  We need more friends in this world like you.
    We do. I have the ability to identify many that would, at the very least, do what I do, and it would make my feable attempt microscopic in the grand scheme of things. They are all part of this forum, and you sir, would do more than your fair share. I know this.

They were good, or at least the pieces I tore off, under the chefs privilege rule, were.

I need sleep. After delivery of the brisket, And catching up on some work, it will be lights out early for me.

Peace.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    Great looking meteorites right there.  Great eats for a great undertaking.
    Regarding sleep, @YukonRon are you seeing improvement in that area or waiting til after BB?  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • YukonRon
    Options
    @lousubcap
    I went to sleep about 0400, had a global CC, I had to present, at 0700. I was up at 6.
    As soon as I get back from travel, in the next couple of weeks, I am getting some medical help with a bunch of things, sleep disorder being one of them.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    Options
    How do they compare? 

Jacksonville FL
  • zyou11
    zyou11 Posts: 13
    Options
    Great looking cook!

Very thoughtful and generous of you. Hope's and prayers going out to you, your family and most of all, Martha and her family. 
  • YukonRon
    edited April 2018
    Options
    @Dobie
    The one I made for our friends, from RD, said it was the best they had ever had, but, the brisket you get around here at bbq dining facilities, is less than great.

The smaller Costco was pretty good, but nowhere near SRF Black in quality not my best.

Both were in the freezer since February, this year. I would give the nod to the prime from RD.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Dobie
    Options
    I’m thawing a Costco prime for this weekend. My first one so hoping it’s decent. Can’t bring myself to spend SRF money. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Dobie said:
    I’m thawing a Costco prime for this weekend. My first one so hoping it’s decent. Can’t bring myself to spend SRF money. 
    @Dobie
    You know, I get it, but it does seem a stretch on giving some of these cuts a prime rating.
    @lousubcap made an excellent observation in his comment earlier, and I have to agree.

I am not saying it was not good, it was, but it is not like some of the previous I had gotten at Costco.

Next sale at SRF, I plan on buying a couple. I will keep checking on Costco, but I am more selective than I had been.

Your cook will be fine. No worries.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    zyou11 said:
    Great looking cook!

Very thoughtful and generous of you. Hope's and prayers going out to you, your family and most of all, Martha and her family. 
    @zyou11
    Thank you for the kind words and your efforts are greatly appreciated.

The brisket turned out pretty good. Martha and her family were very thrilled, hopefully it will feed them for a week, or at least until I get back from BBIII.

She is in a fight for her life. We are there to help as much as we can.

Thank you.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    Props @YukonRon
    Thank you, the cook turned out pretty good.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Dobie
    Options
    Jacksonville Costco just recently started carrying prime brisket so nothing to compare to there for me. I did get the SRF BOGO when it was available so curious to see how it stacks up. Was not the gold SRF though, think it was the black. House renovation is sucking big digits right now. House poor before it’s over  :| 
    Jacksonville FL
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Dobie said:
    Jacksonville Costco just recently started carrying prime brisket so nothing to compare to there for me. I did get the SRF BOGO when it was available so curious to see how it stacks up. Was not the gold SRF though, think it was the black. House renovation is sucking big digits right now. House poor before it’s over  :| 
    Brother, I know.
    Black is dang good...   no worries there.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Dobie
    Options
    I knew you could relate. If only I had Rons money  =)
    Jacksonville FL
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Dobie said:
    I knew you could relate. If only I had Rons money  =)
    You would be more broke than the California department of treasury.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    A very nice aroma to wake up to this morning. My Beautiful Wife made breakfast burritoes of eggs, brisket and shredded american cheddar.
    Had to wash this down with some delicious freshly ground French Press coffee.
    Am I the luckiest SOB or what?
    Think I will have another....

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    Well done @YukonRon.   That is a glorious way to start the day!  You're a very lucky man.
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • YukonRon
    Options
    GoooDawgs said:
    Well done @YukonRon.   That is a glorious way to start the day!  You're a very lucky man.
    Thank you and I know it. I do everything I can to keep this most favored status, too!
    I appreciate the kind words....

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Ron, that's a great cook, but an even greater gesture.

As far as the beef, I have no idea why Costco briskets get graded prime.  I used to get RD briskets, and they were graded choice.  The RD beef was every bit as good as the Costco stuff.  I try to find the oldest, floppiest brisket available and hope it's had some time to wet age and maybe tenderize a bit. 

Might be fun to buy one a few week ahead of time, and another the day before the cook, and cook side by side and see if there's a difference.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    @blind99 - I usually let the brisket wet age a couple of weeks.  I don't have access to RD but I can tell you that my Costco packer brisket experience for the past few months has been of lower quality than before.  They all have more hard fat, long and thinner (width-wise), more silver skin and very thin in the flat.   Definitely seems to be a downward trend quality-wise.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    @blind99  @lousubcap
    Well I thought I would pass along some of the info to Costco for review.  I'm not holding my breath that this will get any attention, but I ran it up the chain.
    I even informed them that it was "Senior Members" with a lot of experience and advanced culinary skills.   :)

Esmeralda V has joined the chat
     James: I'm an avid back yard cook and I'm a member on a forum where members can share experiences and post cooks, recipes etc. Recently Costco Prime Briskets are getting less than stellar reviews for the quality. Has something changed?
     Esmeralda V: Hi James! Thank you for choosing Costco! My name is Esmeralda V - I'm reviewing your request and will be with you in just a moment.
     James: Here's a post from a senior member who has a lot of experience with Prime Cuts. 
     James: As far as the beef, I have no idea why Costco briskets get graded prime. I used to get RD briskets, and they were graded choice. The RD beef was every bit as good as the Costco stuff. I try to find the oldest, floppiest brisket available and hope it's had some time to wet age and maybe tenderize a bit. Might be fun to buy one a few week ahead of time, and another the day before the cook, and cook side by side and see if there's a difference.
     James: Here is another from a senior member with advanced culinary skills. 
     Esmeralda V: Thank you for bring this to our attention. On your behalf, I will forward your information to the appropriate department. 
     James: usually let the brisket wet age a couple of weeks. I don't have access to RD but I can tell you that my Costco packer brisket experience for the past few months has been of lower quality than before. They all have more hard fat, long and thinner (width-wise), more silver skin and very thin in the flat. Definitely seems to be a downward trend quality-wise. FWIW-
     Esmeralda V: Thank you. 
     Esmeralda V: I will forward your information. I do not see any changes that have been made on the Briskets. 
     James: Thank you...a lot of forum members purchase Costco Prime frequently but now are looking at other sources due to inconsistency. Thank you for your help.
     Esmeralda V: You are welcome, have a wonderful day. We'd love to know how we did serving you! If you would like to tell us about your experience, please share your feedback here: https://secure.opinionlab.com/ccc01/o.asp?id=hBWebQdN
     James: Will someone follow up with me?
     Esmeralda V: I am sorry, no, we will forward your information for further review. They do not follow up with members. 
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • YukonRon
    Options
    blind99 said:
    Ron, that's a great cook, but an even greater gesture.

As far as the beef, I have no idea why Costco briskets get graded prime.  I used to get RD briskets, and they were graded choice.  The RD beef was every bit as good as the Costco stuff.  I try to find the oldest, floppiest brisket available and hope it's had some time to wet age and maybe tenderize a bit. 

Might be fun to buy one a few week ahead of time, and another the day before the cook, and cook side by side and see if there's a difference.
    I like the way you think, I may do that in September, hopefully, when everyone comes down for Bourbon and Beyond, and allow them to evaluate. Should be fun.

Thank you for the kind words, but I am certain you would do the same if needed.

We have been cooking for them since the treatments started. Her husband is a great friend, but he is an emotional basket case. The children are doing ok, but seriously down hearted right now. It is tough, but there is hope, and we are trying to keep it positive.
    I took the brisket to them yesterday, and left thinking about what is ahead for them. My hopes remain high.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @blind99 - I usually let the brisket wet age a couple of weeks.  I don't have access to RD but I can tell you that my Costco packer brisket experience for the past few months has been of lower quality than before.  They all have more hard fat, long and thinner (width-wise), more silver skin and very thin in the flat.   Definitely seems to be a downward trend quality-wise.  FWIW-
    I was there today picking up some supplies for BBIII. I had to check out the briskets, they had prime, but, IMO, it looked like the lower end of choice. Until I find an alternate source, or Costco gets the quality back where it needs to be, it will be BOGO at SRF, (when/if it happens) for me.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky