Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My Tri Tip Twist

Options
SoCalTim
SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
edited April 2018 in EggHead Forum
First  & foremost i want it to be known, I AM A BGE GUY, that being said, I broke out my Joetisserie for the first time in a long time.

I wanted to do a tri tip, but not in my usual way, i wanted to do it Rotisserie style using Kingsford Bluebag Charcoal, tell ya, for me there’s just something about that charcoal flavor that just hits my ‘sweet spot’

I uses a charcoal basket from my 26” Weber to hold the charcoal - as opposed to pushing it to the back side of the fire bowl, i proceeded to use a couple chunks of Hickory Mojo Bricks (that stuff IMO is magical.

350 degrees for 1.5 hrs, the end result was MAGICAL!

I brined my tri tip for 36 hrs, added lotsa garlic salt, in addition to Lawry’s Seasoned Salt - a heaping tablespoon of dark brown sugar, the end result was a flavor explosion on my palate, in addition to being so incredibly tender, this is my best tri tip ever.

I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.

Comments

• FrostyEgg
    FrostyEgg Posts: 583
    Options
    Sign me up! I could find these everywhere when I lived in CA. Haven't been able to locate one since I moved back to MN.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Now that is bringing it home.  Congrats on the creative cook and banquet-what a cross-section of goodness.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    @FrostyEgg - If you have a Trader Joe's close by,  give 'em a call.  That's the best source of tri-tip I can find around here. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • FrostyEgg
    FrostyEgg Posts: 583
    Options
    We have one close by, i'll have to give them a call. Thanks for the tip! (no pun intended) It's right by Total Wine too so it'd be win-win.
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    Looks good Tim...does that mean you’ll be using your Jotisserie more?
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Home run Tim.  Way to think outside the box.  

Phoenix 
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Would love a plate of that right now- nice job

love the creativity- 
    Greensboro, NC
  • Hntnhrd
    Hntnhrd Posts: 713
    Options
    I like the idea of the Weber basket!
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    This is totally unexpected from a Santa Maria kid, but it looks fantastic.  
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    Looks fantastic Tim.  I used to use the rotisserie on my gasser for tri tips and came out pretty good.  I might have to sneak a Jotisserie in one of these days. 
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I love it brother SoCal. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    That's a winner Tim...
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Looks delicious brother.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Options
    That looks great. Love Tri tip but has been hard to find in Austin lately. I like yo charcoal setup with the Joetisserie, I recently got one but haven’t really dialed in my cooks with it yet. 
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    Looking good brother Tim. Been thinking about getting a joetisserie for awhile now, you might have just pushed me over the edge!
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Looks like you knocked that one out of the park! Well done and thanks for the inspiration 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @SoCalTim
    As to the Kingsford charcoal, there is something’s that I prefer cooked over charcoal rather than wood or lump. 
    On a separate note, I use charcoal almost exclusively in my mini when “grilling”. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,760
    Options
    That's a California Tri Tip!
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    That's being creative.  I really like the Weber basket idea.  The tri tip looks perfect.  Tell us more about the brining process.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX