Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cash and Carry meat department

Hntnhrd
Hntnhrd Posts: 713
anyone have one of these stores near you. I have been getting my pork ribs and boneless butts there. Dirt cheaper and have been outstanding finished product. I also picked up a whole boneless N.Y. strip for 4.48 a pound and it has been great. But I have no idea what these cuts of meat are. Any idea??

Comments

• Hntnhrd
    I have heard of “moose knuckle “ and “ camel toe” but not sliced peeled beef knuckle
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    I’d be all ove that clod shiiiiiite 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Store in Bellingham WA is always on our semi monthly cross border shopping trip. I also like the 5# jalapeño bags, ideal for ABT pig outs.
    The butts are great to grind for sausage and there are aisles of sauces, gloves and other “got to have it” BBQ fixings.  
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • the clod heart is one of the shoulder muscles (Chuck). The clod is the whole shoulder. I think the knuckle is from the round (sirloin/top round/back leg)
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Hntnhrd
    Store in Bellingham WA is always on our semi monthly cross border shopping trip. I also like the 5# jalapeño bags, ideal for ABT pig outs.
    The butts are great to grind for sausage and there are aisles of sauces, gloves and other “got to have it” BBQ fixings.  
    I actually like it better then Costco and the meat prices are really great. I also buy the 15# box of sugar land bacon for $24 . Good bacon and great price. They also have 10# boxes of thin sirloin for cheesesteaks that are very good. 
  • Hntnhrd
    the clod heart is one of the shoulder muscles (Chuck). The clod is the whole shoulder. I think the knuckle is from the round (sirloin/top round/back leg)
    Thanks for the info. 
  • The beef knuckle, correct me if I'm wrong, is like a moose knuckle but originates from cattle rich environments, such as Texas and Nebraska. There is, of course, the elusive "Wisconsin moose knuckle" but it is typically only found in July-August due to the colder temperatures. 

Glad you're back, @Hntnhrd Just got a box of bear, caribou, moose, and elk yesterday. Was actually going to shoot you a text and see if you had ever dealt with moose sausage. (it's just a loaf of sausage...labeled summer but I don't think it's been cured or fermented)

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    I'm assuming the place is a giant refrigerator?  The pics make it look like the meat is just out in the open.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    I'm assuming the place is a giant refrigerator?  The pics make it look like the meat is just out in the open.
    They have a large refrigerated area of the store.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    DMW said:
    They have a large refrigerated area of the store.
    Thanks.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Hntnhrd
    @Killit_and_Grillit I got really busy last summer into fall and limited my internet time. Now I have time to goof off on the internet again, so back lurking here. 
    Most places around here that make “ salami” from game meat make it like a summer sausage. I have fried it like bolagna before and it’s not bad. Otherwise it is kind of “ mushy”. Ok with cheese and crackers. 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    The Bellingham store has at least four walk in cooler areas, I assume they are all similar. The deli, which is all the meat pictured in this post and cheeses; the veggie room; the dairy room and the frozen food room. Check out their web site for more detail.

Lazzari mesquite lump is $14 for 40# bag.... way too much stuff i just have to have like 16 qt cambros for sous vide at about 1/2 the Amazon price. Great store. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Around here, a Cash & Carry meat department looks similar to this.

Flint, Michigan