Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Apricot preserve and maple syrup glazed pork ... inspired by @YukonRon

Stormbringer
Stormbringer Posts: 2,007
edited April 2018 in Pork
A while back I saw a thread by @YukonRon about peach preserved pork, which sounded fantastic. I decided to make a similar version, using apricot preserve and maple syrup. I also took some inspiration from the famous @egret ham recipe.

I cooked pork breast ribs 3-3-1, using orange wood chunks and applying the glaze after 2 hours. I was very pleased with the result, a subtle sweet flavour with a hint of sourness. Served with a sauce made from the same glaze recipe, some coleslaw and thick cut chips/fries, this was a great meal. Full details here:

https://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk/2018/04/06/apricot-preserve-and-maple-syrup-glazed-pork/

Overhead art-y shot of the meal:

Applying the glaze after two hours of smoking:

More sauce applied just after unwrapping for the final hour:

Sliced shot:

Thanks for looking!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
| Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
| My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk

Comments

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    edited April 2018
    My gosh, I bow to the master. Excellent cook, and great images. Looks over the top.

I have been adding a touch of Sriracha to the glaze recently for just a little spicy heat, not much but just enough to really bring all the flavors to the point. It is very good too. You may wish to try it sometime.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Those ribs look delicious.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Looks spectacular!

I don't know why I'm so reluctant to wrap meat.  I've been happy with a few brisket flats and many pork butts with no wrapping, and I'm lazy, so I'm happy not to mess with wrapping and unwrapping if I don't have to.  But lots of folks have great luck doing so, and your photos sure look great!  Maybe I'll try it sometime.

I've never seen that cut of meat in my stores, and I think I'd have to go with loin or shoulder, but I love the idea, may try something.  Great post!
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,533
    Wow.... Homerun right there!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Yes Sir!  The pictures are perfect and the food looks even better.  

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932

These look great.  Very well done

XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Fantastic, nice pics too
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • gonepostal
    gonepostal Posts: 711
    A great looking meal indeed...
    Wetumpka, Alabama
    LBGE and MM
  • Stormbringer
    Cheers folks, particularly pleased with this one, and just goes to show what being part of this community can achieve.

@YukonRon I use Worcestershire sauce and ground paprika in the mix, do you think that I should use Sriracha as well as those or instead of?

@Theophan I've used this recipe with double cut pork chops, works really well. Haven't tried butt/shoulder yet, if I was going to do that I'd leave it until after the stall had finished before applying the glaze. My guess is that applying it earlier than that would leave to a lot of re-glazing and potentially too much on it. Just a guess though.
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire

• bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,716
    Great job!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket and various Weber's
    Floyd Va

• YukonRon

@YukonRon I use Worcestershire sauce and ground paprika in the mix, do you think that I should use Sriracha as well as those or instead of?

On butts and shoulders, I have been adding it to the peach preserves, then placing it on the Egg. I use the peach preserves from the startof the cook after the rub, which seems to glaze but also keeps the juices inside giving me a very tender, cut when done.
    Sriracha just seems to bring out more flavor with a milder, perhaps more subtle heat.
    Your blend of worcestershire and ground paprika may do the same.
    If you are happy with what you have, no need to change. Sriracha is just a personal fave for me.
    Great post. You have inspired me to do a pork roast this week. Thank you for sharing.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    I'm so happy I clicked on this thread. The meal sounds delicious and the pics are great. I'm sure it tasted fantastic.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Stormbringer
    YukonRon said:

On butts and shoulders, I have been adding it to the peach preserves, then placing it on the Egg. I use the peach preserves from the startof the cook after the rub, which seems to glaze but also keeps the juices inside giving me a very tender, cut when done.
    Sriracha just seems to bring out more flavor with a milder, perhaps more subtle heat.
    If you are happy with what you have, no need to change. Sriracha is just a personal fave for me.
    Great post. You have inspired me to do a pork roast this week. Thank you for sharing.
    I'll definitely give the Sriracha a go on the next double cut pork chops we do, I kinda like the idea. Also I see what you mean about the preserve keeping the juices inside, I'll try doing that from the outset next time and see what difference it makes. 

Have fun with your roast pork! :)

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Apricot and pork are a wonderful combination.  Your cook looks delicious.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• YukonRon
    YukonRon said:

I'll definitely give the Sriracha a go on the next double cut pork chops we do, I kinda like the idea. Also I see what you mean about the preserve keeping the juices inside, I'll try doing that from the outset next time and see what difference it makes. 

Have fun with your roast pork! :)
    I always do...lol. I brine my roasts 24-48 hours, first in water, molasses and canning salt. Then dry off, rub, glaze then cook. Works great. If you can find some peach wood chunks or apricot wood chunks to smoke with, you will love the results.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Stormbringer
    edited April 2018
    @YukonRon you've sold me on the brining. Is the actual composition the same as the OP of your original peach preserve thread? I'll need to locate molasses over here, shouldn't be too hard to find.

When I find a retailer in the UK that sells peach or apricot wood chunks, I'll certainly try it out. 

• YukonRon
    Use the same as the peach preserve thread just reduce the amount. (Cut in half for smaller cuts. Just make sure you have enough to immerse in the liquid.
    Hope this helps.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Stormbringer
    YukonRon said:
    Use the same as the peach preserve thread just reduce the amount. (Cut in half for smaller cuts. Just make sure you have enough to immerse in the liquid.
    Hope this helps.
    It does, thanks. Will let you know how it goes.