Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts

I need to cook more of these. Healthy.

I feel OK about how i do them.

Roughly 400 direct. 

These are mostly pretty thick.

How do y'all cook them?
Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
Dennis - Austin,TX

Comments

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    SV at 145 for 2 hours and then quick, hot sear on egg
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    ColtsFan said:
    SV at 145 for 2 hours and then quick, hot sear on egg
    LOL..well, I do have a sous vide but I'm more interested in a straight egg cook.
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Dennis - Austin,TX
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,533
    400 raised direct is fine....
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    I cook them different ways, sometimes, but most of the time I really like Melissa Clark's approach:
    The upshot is that grilling juicy, well-cooked chicken breasts involves three basic steps: pounding the breasts to even out the thickness, marinating them aggressively with salt and aromatics, then grilling them hot and fast.

The pounding, a technique I picked up from the grilling guru Steven Raichlen, is probably the least intuitive, but solves the problem of their uneven shape. Chicken breasts bulge at their middles and taper at the edges, making them hard to cook evenly over a direct hot fire. But constantly moving them around back and forth between direct and indirect heat (another option for uneven or large pieces of meat) can compromise the char because they cook so quickly.

The trick is to pound the chicken breasts, but not too thin, which could dry them out. Aim for about a thickness of about ½ to ¾ inch.

Here's our favorite recipe of hers for boneless, skinless chicken breasts: Sweet and Spicy Grilled Chicken Breasts. Never would have occurred to me to combine coriander and brown sugar, but it WORKS!

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    I just cooked some for dinner. Sprinkled with salt and fresh cracked pepper and thyme and a little lemon zest. Same as you grilled at 400 degrees direct till 165 internal. Let rest for 10min

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    If not SV, hot and direct.  400 is good. Pound them out a bit to improve even cooking.  About 16-18 minutes but more importantly IT 145-150.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    I agree with @bgebrent. 165 plus a rest is overcooked. Keep in mind that at 400 direct, the outer layers of the meat will be much hotter than the center, and the temp in the center will continue to rise during the rest. Personally, I am a 150 or less guy for chicken breasts cooked hot direct. Or you could do like a chef, and go by feel :) 
    Happy cooking!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,662
    ci skillet in the egg, lemon chicken/ piccata     go light on the oil or butter
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,410
    All ways

Indirect and direct
    Sometimes low and slow if riding shotgun with big beef or pork cut. 

Sometimes I run up to 450 and high in the dome.  

Experiment.  There isn't really a bad way.  
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Why go to the bother of cooking that on the egg?
  • fishlessman
    GrillSgt said:
    Why go to the bother of cooking that on the egg?
    i mentioned skillet because not everyone has a flat plate, i would just use a flat plate and i like to cook outside. like a little rosemary smoke as well with this
    fukahwee maine

• GrillSgt
    Just asking, not arguing. You think you get smoke flavor in a skillet on a fast cook like this?
  • fishlessman
    GrillSgt said:
    Just asking, not arguing. You think you get smoke flavor in a skillet on a fast cook like this?
    wasnt arguing either ;)  chicken, burger, fish, all take smoke quickly. maybe not as much as low and slows but they will pick it up. even a hard seared steak will pick up some wood smoke flavor
    fukahwee maine

• GrillSgt
    OK thanks. I didn't think you were being argumentative. 

This time. 

:s 
  • 400 direct, not raised. S&P or other spices applied just before putting on grill. Pull at about 160, they'll have had a few minutes rest before serving. Wife insists NO PINK inside, so I go for a little more "done" than I'd like...still juicy, tho.
    Egging in Indy...
  • dmchicago
    Thanks all.

I'm not unhappy with my results. Just looking for variations.

I generally like 'em thick so I don't pound my meat.

Took them off last night around 150-155 and they were nice and juicy.

Dennis - Austin,TX
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    edited April 2018
    dmchicago said:

So many things that I could say here
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• dmchicago
    ColtsFan said:
    dmchicago said:

So many things that I could say here
    I didn't think that would go unnoticed. 

Dennis - Austin,TX
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    edited April 2018
    Those breasts are a favorite of ours. I start by pounding them flat or Jaccard if time permits. Then marinate for 5 hours in Kraft's Zesty Italian dressing. I then apply either DP Raging River or Tsunami Spin. Then onto my Small egg direct at 375 for 4/4/1. During that last minute I top them with a piece of either Munster or Havariti cheese and sometimes both! I then serve them on a butter croissant which has mayo and lettuce. Makes me hungry for one right now! 

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    I've got some warming in a 150* water bath right now. When they're done, I'm going to bread and then fry them. So much for healthy...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • fishlessman
    is there really much difference health wise if you just remove the skin after cooking
    fukahwee maine

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    edited April 2018
    I also believe the key is to create an even breast. I use to pound them but it always made a mess. I used wax paper to minimize the splatter  (contamination).  I started just pressing them by hand. It doesn’t take much pressure and it’s no mess. The breast doesn’t take a beating either so the texture is more consistent throughout. 

• vb4677
    vb4677 Posts: 686

Yeah, me too...
    Kansas City: Too Much City for One State - Missouri side
    2 Large BGE's, Instant Pot, Anova Sous Vide, and a gas smoker...
    Barbeque, Homebrew and Blues...
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

I'm with @ColtsFan.  SV makes for perfect breasts every time.  

@RRP - that sammy is making me hungry

Phoenix 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    I also believe the key is to create an even breast. I use to pound them but it always made a mess. I used wax paper to minimize the splatter  (contamination).  I started just pressing them by hand. It doesn’t take much pressure and it’s no mess. The breast doesn’t take a beating either so the texture is more consistent throughout. 

Can also just butterfly them if one doesn't want to bother with pounding.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• GrillSgt
    Depends on the wife's mood. Sometimes I have to pound my meat, sometimes I don't.
  • Moleman
    Moleman Posts: 372
    Ron, do you recommend any specific jaccard? I see there are many on amazon, and I have to say I love my left hand pig tail flippers. Took me a while to finally pull the trigger but use them all the time now.  Thanks.