Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My wife's favorite grilled chicken

Options
Theophan
Theophan Posts: 2,654
I made my wife's favorite grilled chicken again this evening, and again it was a big hit.  I cut chicken breasts in half cross-wise (so the thickness stays the same) and pounded them to about 1/2" or so thickness (that's what the recipe called for -- I might try cutting them the other way instead, sometime, so they're thinner before I pound them), and then hit them with a rub that mostly tastes of brown sugar and ground coriander.  We both love this recipe -- by Melissa Clark on the NY Times Food section:

Sweet and Spicy Grilled Chicken Breasts
2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
2 teaspoons ground coriander
1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt (don't cut)
1 ½ teaspoons dry mustard powder
¼ teaspoon cayenne

I grilled them at 550°-600°, hot and fast because they're thin, and they were really good:

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Yup!  Looks great brother.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Looking good
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • nhk19
    nhk19 Posts: 151
    Options
    Looks great. Recipe sounds wonderful.  Might have to steal it.  Thx!
    XLBGE
    Lewisburg, PA
  • lanceclaytor
    Options
    Looks fantastic!
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    They look great. It's amazing how similar this is to my daughter's favorite chicken. I treat it exactly the same way except I just brush the chicken lightly with bbq sauce before grilling. The results look very similar. Thanks for sharing. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    Thanks to all for the kind words!

SciAggie said:
    They look great. It's amazing how similar this is to my daughter's favorite chicken. I treat it exactly the same way except I just brush the chicken lightly with bbq sauce before grilling. The results look very similar. Thanks for sharing. 
    There's something odd about this rub, I think it's how very much dark brown sugar is in it, that it always tends to turn almost into a sauce before I put it on the grill.  I used to apply the rub, then stack them, put them in a baggie, and refrigerate them for a while, but lately I've just put on the rub immediately before grilling, and I'm not sure there's really any difference.

So yeah, I can see that this might look a bit like they'd been sauced.  All that brown sugar with even just a little juice from the chicken tends to melt into sort of a sauce.

The flavor is really different, though.  I really like coriander, but it's not a super common flavor for most people, and I've been surprised at how much my family loved this recipe.  The biggest flavors are the brown sugar and the coriander, and it's just a great combination, but somehow I was a little surprised at how much my wife and others in my family have raved about this recipe.  It's definitely a family favorite now.