Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to cook lamb (boneless butterflied leg)?

Options
ColAngus
ColAngus Posts: 123
Do I cook this direct or indirect? Is this more like a steak or low and slow butt?

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited March 2018
    Options

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• ColAngus
    Options
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    l cook them direct, like a thick steak.  It was years ago, before I learned about reverse sear, but if I do it again, I'd reverse sear it.  Here's a recipe I got decades ago from the now defunct Gourmet magazine, and it was wonderful.  I never broiled it, but grilled it over charcoal, and to internal temp, probably 120°, though I don't remember:
    Marinated Butterflied Leg of Lamb

7 lb. leg of lamb, butterflied 
    3 cups dry red wine 
    1/2 cup olive oil 
    2 onions thinly sliced 
    1 carrot thinly sliced 
    2 Tb thyme 
    6 parsley stems 
    2 bay leaves crumbled 
    2 garlic cloves crushed and minced 
    2 tsp salt 
    1/2 tsp pepper 

Have the butcher bone and butterfly a 7-pound leg of lamb and pound it to an even thickness.

In a large ceramic or glass dish combine the marinade ingredients, add the lamb and let it marinate, covered and chilled, turning it occasionally, for 1 to 2 days.

Drain the lamb, pat it try with paper towels, and fit it into a basket grill, or use large skewers to keep it flat. Broil 3" from heat for 10 minutes on each side for medium-rare meat. 

Transfer the lamb to a cutting board, let it stand for 10 minutes, and cut it diagonally into 1/2" slices. Arrange the slices on a heated platter and garnish the platter with watercress.
  • ColAngus
    Options
    Well, that was a disaster. That cut of meat was full of fat... the whole bottom was fat. When that thing went on the grate, nothing but flames.

• 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    If you have a grinder, fatty lamb makes an awesone kabob
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    ColAngus said:
    Well, that was a disaster. That cut of meat was full of fat... the whole bottom was fat. When that thing went on the grate, nothing but flames.

Hope it didn't go to waste.

A reasonable plan B might have been pull it off,  and while cutting away the excess fat, let the dome temp drop to 250 ish. Even raised, direct, the meat will be getting about 400F in IR. The outside will sear and even crisp, but leave the inside rare, which most people prefer for lamb.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    made kofta kabobs lat week from a boneless leg. betting it was nearly 40 percent fat that had to get cut off. never seen one so fatty.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • PatrickJ117
    Options
    FYI---huge diff in taste of US lamb and Australian...if you can find US, worth the investment
    LBGE, Weber Summit 4 burner--Philadelphia, PA
    Syracuse U., Yankees, E-A-G-L-E-S

Old Indian saying...When riding a dead horse, by all means dismount...