Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

lamb prices

Options
way down this week, greek easter was last weekend and they are selling off the overstock. 4.49 a pound for leg here, its cheaper than hamburger =) i might even try darby's lamb proscuitto
fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it

Comments

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Options
    3.99 here   

Guy said they were gonna throw them away. But a bunch 
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    Wait - Greek Jesus rose from the dead on a different day that American Jesus?
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Wait - Greek Jesus rose from the dead on a different day that American Jesus?
    Gregorian vs Julian calendars.
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Options
    First mistake is tying a Christian event to a pagan calendar. 
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I had lamb once. Literally, once. That I recall anyway. Lamb chops cooked by my SIL. I don't remember what those tasted like or even whether or not I liked 'em. Don't think I DISliked them though. It was a long time ago.

Thanks to @fishlessmanand this thread, I looked at my local store a couple of days ago and they had Australian "butterflied leg of lamb" in 1-2 lb cryo packages. At $3.99 a pound  (normally $8). I bought a one pounder. 

Had no idea how to cook it, but I found this. Simple enough, right? Marinated for one hour, set up the egg for direct at 400° with the grid on the fire ring. It didn't take as long as the recipe says to get to 125°. In fact, I overcooked it a bit. But no matter. Tonight, I had one of the most delicious pieces of meat I've ever had! Better than any steak I have grilled since I bought the egg almost 7 years ago! Extremely tender and full of flavor. Not gamey at all. Just outstanding! 

After dinner tonight, I hopped in the car and headed back to the store. They had 5 left. Now they have NONE. Hope it freezes well. =) 

Who says you can't teach an old dog? Thanks for the heads up, Mike!!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    I had lamb once. Literally, once. That I recall anyway. Lamb chops cooked by my SIL. I don't remember what those tasted like or even whether or not I liked 'em. Don't think I DISliked them though. It was a long time ago.

Thanks to @fishlessmanand this thread, I looked at my local store a couple of days ago and they had Australian "butterflied leg of lamb" in 1-2 lb cryo packages. At $3.99 a pound  (normally $8). I bought a one pounder. 

Had no idea how to cook it, but I found this. Simple enough, right? Marinated for one hour, set up the egg for direct at 400° with the grid on the fire ring. It didn't take as long as the recipe says to get to 125°. In fact, I overcooked it a bit. But no matter. Tonight, I had one of the most delicious pieces of meat I've ever had! Better than any steak I have grilled since I bought the egg almost 7 years ago! Extremely tender and full of flavor. Not gamey at all. Just outstanding! 

After dinner tonight, I hopped in the car and headed back to the store. They had 5 left. Now they have NONE. Hope it freezes well. =) 

Who says you can't teach an old dog? Thanks for the heads up, Mike!!
    those boneless legs make great kabobs, a little hotter heat but shoot for rare to med/rare max.  those kofta kabobs posted here are incredible as well. make a shepherds pie with lamb and you will never go back
    fukahwee maine

• Carolina Q
    Options
    those boneless legs make great kabobs, a little hotter heat but shoot for rare to med/rare max.  those kofta kabobs posted here are incredible as well. make a shepherds pie with lamb and you will never go back
    Kebab recipes found and bookmarked. I've never made shepherd's pie though I like it. Need a good recipe for that too. Know anyone who has one?. =)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    edited May 2016
    Options
    this is the one i make, braise the meat for 2 hours in the oven, makes a huge difference, i add some guinness as well. minced is ground. reserve the liquid for making gravey, the gravey is extremely rich

http://www.cooks.com/recipe/5h5tt81t/shepherds-pie-british.html

fukahwee maine

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    I say it all the time - I love lamb. When I was reading your post, I thought you were going to say how you hated it. Glad you liked it!

I get it whenever it is a good price. I will also get the boneless leg, tie it together, generously coat with DP Red Eye express and cook low and slow (which is still a fast cook) to 120-123 F internal, pull and immediately put in the fridge. Cover after 1.5 hours, chill overnight, and slice on the slicer the next day.  It is a wonderful switch-up to the "usual" lunch meat. Just have to make sure you do not overcook it.

I will say that the DP red eye is fantastic on lamb. If not making lunch meat I go a bit lighter with it, and cook the meat as you did at about 400 direct, but I think it pairs perfectly. Just have to be careful because it cooks a lot faster than beef.

Brazed lamb shanks or shoulder are also fantastic.  You are kinda lucky - it is like you found a new animal to eat which has a fairly unique flavor. It does not taste like beef, chicken or pork.

And skip the mint (at least for me)! Blah...  It wipes out the taste of the animal.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Kebab recipes found and bookmarked. I've never made shepherd's pie though I like it. Need a good recipe for that too. Know anyone who has one?. =)
    Got a grinder? Shepherds pie, kofta, Mediterranean sausage and many more. Indian kabobs too

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I must second with pico-estebahn and fishlessperson on their advice. 
    Options
    Got a grinder? Shepherds pie, kofta, Mediterranean sausage and many more. Indian kabobs too
    Of all people. You should be ashamed of yourself. Goat for Indian kababs.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I kid (har har). If lamb is on sale, I'm buying some. Althoug I can get young goat for almost that price. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Great thread!! Thanks for all the advice on all things lamb. And goat, though I've never even seen goat! Well, I've seen goats, of course, but they were still walking around.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut