Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sous Vide Wings?

minniemoh
minniemoh Posts: 2,145
We got invited to the neighbors tonight for dinner, bball games, and beers. I had some frozen wings that I put in sous vide at 170 with about an hour and a half to spare before they need to go on the egg for crisping and sauce. I've never done this before. Are they going to have a decent texture if they get an 1:15 to 1:30 in the bath before going direct on the grid?

Advice appreciated.

L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
eggAddict from MN!

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,867
    I don't think I've ever done them frozen and into the bath, so I can't say for sure.  But that's the temp I do them at.  I do mine for 2 hrs.  Texture is never a problem.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • minniemoh
    Just found out I have enough time for 2 hrs in the bath. Paper towel dry and on the grid. Was planning on going direct at 350-400 to crisp and sauce. Sound like that will work? @JohnInCarolina
    eggAddict from MN!
  • JohnInCarolina
    minniemoh said:
    Just found out I have enough time for 2 hrs in the bath. Paper towel dry and on the grid. Was planning on going direct at 350-400 to crisp and sauce. Sound like that will work? @JohnInCarolina
    Raised direct is the way to go after the bath.  You can flash cool them if you want them to pick up a bit more smoke or if you just want to guard against over cooking them.

I just cook them on the grill until they have as much char as I want.  The good thing is you know they’re cooked, so there’s no danger in them being under done.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Open to trying it, just wondering what the benefits might be.  Is it simply the assurance they are cooked?
    Phoenix 
  • JohnInCarolina
    blasting said:
    Open to trying it, just wondering what the benefits might be.  Is it simply the assurance they are cooked?
    I do my jerk chicken wings this way.  They cook right in the marinade. The flavor really penetrates, much faster than doing a marinade in the fridge.  Personally I like the way they come out too - super tender.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    I have had Johns sous vide jerk wings, Fantastic!

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I’ve done jerk chicken this way too, and it turned out well. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Ahhh, marinated wings - that makes sense.  Thanks.

Does anyone have a link right handy to John's jerk chicken wings?  They sound pretty good - I did a search and it didn't pop up.
    Phoenix 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Ok guys. Back at noon on Friday I sent 20 wing flats and drummies swimming in Georgia Red Wings marinade for a 54 hour swim. I intended to egg them late Sunday afternoon. The weather forecast was for an inch of snow. BUT instead we were hammered with no less than 9" of very heavy wet snow plus now it is turning cold! The term of "widow maker snowfall" is bothering me.

Now I'm wondering about this talk of sous vide wings. Iffin I had to sous vide them how well could the skin on these work out? My concern obviously is a clammy weird skin texture.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • JohnInCarolina
    blasting said:
    Ahhh, marinated wings - that makes sense.  Thanks.

Does anyone have a link right handy to John's jerk chicken wings?  They sound pretty good - I did a search and it didn't pop up.
    I don’t think I’ve ever posted the recipe, but here it is:

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    SV then finished on the grill is now my favorite way to prepare wings. Like JIC said above, just cook them until your happy with the color.  Perfect. Every single time. 

@RRP I’d love to know how the Georgia red wings turn out if you try them.  The skin will be turrible coming out of the bath.  Use the broiler or the egg to solve that problem 
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    johnnyp said:
    SV then finished on the grill is now my favorite way to prepare wings. Like JIC said above, just cook them until your happy with the color.  Perfect. Every single time. 

@RRP I’d love to know how the Georgia red wings turn out if you try them.  The skin will be turrible coming out of the bath.  Use the broiler or the egg to solve that problem 
    Well, it quit snowing after dumping 9". I have a 170' drive which I will let Mother Nature deal with as I have a 4 wheel drive. Other wise I will shovel a path to my eggs as I just can't imagine the chicken skin via sous vide would be any good.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • minniemoh
    Thanks for the help everyone.

Just getting back to follow up here. The wings turned out pretty good. I think I could have gone 160 degrees and been fine in the sous vide. I went raised direct and ended up at 500 degrees (I walked away from the egg with the dome open for too long). I usually do wings indirect after an air-dry in the fridge and have that process pretty dialed. I sauce when the skin crisps and then set the sauce. The only thing that I wasn't happy with on the SV wings was the raised direct grilling took all the heat/flavor out of my sauce. I may try these again but I will drop them in an ice bath for a few minutes before going on the grid. I think they were a little overdone from the high heat and time it took to get the skin crispy. Forgot to take any pics... but they looked like wings. HA!
    eggAddict from MN!
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053

@JohnInCarolina

Thank you for sharing, do you mind sharing what book this is from?  I mostly use my sous vide for reheating, Egg Bites, and some veggies.  Looking to use it more.  Definitely doing this recipe soon!  
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • JohnInCarolina
    smbishop said:

@JohnInCarolina

Thank you for sharing, do you mind sharing what book this is from?  I mostly use my sous vide for reheating, Egg Bites, and some veggies.  Looking to use it more.  Definitely doing this recipe soon!  
    It’s from the book “Sous Vide At Home” by Lisa Fetterman.  I definitely recommend it.  All of the recipes in it that I’ve tried have been great. My recipe for chocolate pots is basically a riff off the one in that book.
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    smbishop said:

@JohnInCarolina

It’s from the book “Sous Vide At Home” by Lisa Fetterman.  I definitely recommend it.  All of the recipes in it that I’ve tried have been great. My recipe for chocolate pots is basically a riff off the one in that book.

Thank you!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited March 2018
    caliking said:
    I’ve done jerk chicken this way too, and it turned out well. 
    I had that chicken and can confirm the greatness
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • smbishop said:

@JohnInCarolina

The Vietnamese Caramel Chicken recipe in that book is the bomb. 

1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC