Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: NASCAR - Luv it or Hate it. Explain why.

Options
2»

Comments

• Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    Do you guys get any IOM TT coverage? Top end professional motorsport on a real road course - lamp posts, walls, kerbs, hedges, houses etc. with straw bales as 'safety' barriers. It's hard to believe the commitment these guys have, especially if you ride bikes and have some self preservation instinct. Superbike lap record averages 133+ mph, Superstock (not that far off what you can buy in the showroom) 128+ mph.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OmNXCJt7K3Q
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    @nolaegghead you should come to road Atlanta for the Mitty. Great event. https://www.themitty.com/
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    @nolaegghead you should come to road Atlanta for the Mitty. Great event. https://www.themitty.com/
    That’s pretty close to my house. If you come, hit me up and we’ll get together for a beer or something. 
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    @jeffwit will do. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options
    Eoin said:
    Do you guys get any IOM TT coverage? Top end professional motorsport on a real road course - lamp posts, walls, kerbs, hedges, houses etc. with straw bales as 'safety' barriers. It's hard to believe the commitment these guys have, especially if you ride bikes and have some self preservation instinct. Superbike lap record averages 133+ mph, Superstock (not that far off what you can buy in the showroom) 128+ mph.

The US doesn't broadcast it that I know of (but there are 47 different ESPN channels that I don't pay for, so maybe someone does).  I do have a couple DVDs on the Isle of Mann races, dayam!  Those guys are fearless, and I'd love to see that race in person, someday.  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I loath NASCAR.

I had to do a full season due to our R&D and business affiliation with one of the teams.

Races 1 through 3 were cool, numbers 4 through end of season, ......I could not wait for the engines to blow, a gift of a DQ, or even an unfortunate wreck where hopefully resulted in car damage removing them from the race, with no injuries.

Neat experience, but one I am sure never to repeat.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Eoin said:

In the US we can count on seeing a few hours of coverage of that event but nothing live/all day (at least not that I have seen). The Velocity channel carries it. Decades ago I remember seeing some coverage of it on a show called "The Wide World of Sports".

It is a pretty exciting event along much of the course. Some parts make me pucker up just watching on the telly.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• RockyTopDW
    RockyTopDW Posts: 338
    Options
    I'm not an active fan of NASCAR, but you have to love any sport that was created by bootleggers.  If it weren't for the prohibition, we may never have seen NASCAR. 
  • Hoosier_Smoker
    Options
    Two words: Restrictor plate.  I'm from the "run watcha brung" school and certainly enjoyed NASCAR in its heyday.  Real drafting, slingshotting, motor building skills, a little cheatin' here and there.  Once NASCAR and others brought in parity that ruined it for me. Oh, and the cars actually looked different from each other.
    "Get in my belly!" - Fat Bastard

LBGE - Kick Ash Basket, SS Smokeware Cap, CGS PSWoo-CI, Spider, Wok, Broil King Gasser
    Noblesville, IN
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Back when these fellows was racing, I loved NASCAR. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited March 2018
    Options
    This driver reignited my interest in NASCAR for a little while. However the reason why should be more than obvious  =)

If she was just half as talented as she is attractive, she would be the greatest ever. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• BikerBob
    BikerBob Posts: 284
    Options
    I got IOM here in south Georgia, but it started after midnight. Watch a monkey on even an F2 and tell me anybody else has balls.
    I shot two Atlantas and saw about a half lap of really exciting racing. The infield party was always in full swing.

Bob
    Cooking on the coast
  • jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    Been a fan for a long time. Back in the day my favorite was “awesome Bill from Dawsonville” now I get to root for his son Chase. 

Much better to to watch live than on TV. I usually record and watch in fast forward mode, until there is a crash or a restart. 
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 566
    Options
    Nascar changed the way movies changed.   there is no john Wayne Or Petty anymore.  Also the fans cleaned up the infield and this all made it less exciting and interesting. I do not watch it anymore
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Infield Talladega was amazing. Could care less about the race. But what a fun time.

XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum