Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Trying Brisket Travis’s Way

Options
Substituted Fat Tire Belgian Ale and Cholula hot sauce. 17# to start, trimmed maybe 5# of fat off. Went on at midnight, IT of 191 now with SMOBOT doing all the work. Smells awesome!

Charles Town, West-by-God Virginia

Sazco large Casa-Q

Large BGE

Comments

• Woodchunk
    Woodchunk Posts: 911
    Options
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    Nooooooo...

Newbies will think that boiling brisket is the way to go. 

Actually, that looks really good. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    You boil that bad boy!!! Boil it good!
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    Where did you get those foil pans? Did you use them the whole time or just after the brisket shrank down?

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Standing bye for the finale and your final analysis. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• kweitz
    kweitz Posts: 305
    Options
    Sorry so tardy. No final pics either. Brisket was on for 15 hours brought up to 202 IT. Stayed in foil pan the entire cook. Had to suck out about a quart of fat/ drippings. Brisky was moist and delicious. Not much of a smoke ring to write home about. Would do it again!

Sazco large Casa-Q

Large BGE

• GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 566
    Options
    I like to BOIL brisket better than to cook on grate.  It is always more tender and will give up smoke ring for tender and juicy anytime.    Also, I start the brisket on whole onions so out of the pan mostle and gets more smoke that way. Also, I like fat down so most braising is in the fat.
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Boil it just a little bit.  C‘mon and boil it just a little bit!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Just like Tebow invented the "jump pass", Travis invented the "boil smoke"....
    Options
    Options
    It works! Certainly not traditional, and it was a LOT of fat in which it was “boiling”, but it got rave reviews from those partaking. If I was doing a brisky and wanted to make sure that the crowd would be satisfied, I would do it this way. This was my third brisket. The first was outstanding, the second was not good. I think I could be consistently consistent with this method. 

Sazco large Casa-Q

Large BGE

• kweitz
    kweitz Posts: 305
    Options
    I think @GoldenQ’s idea with the whole onions putting the protein high in the pan is also worth consideration. 

Sazco large Casa-Q

Large BGE

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Could @kweitz be the troll account for @travisstrick
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited March 2018
    Options

“It puts the brisket in its beer or else it will be dry, it fears” 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX