Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Wild Yeast critter maintenance - care and feeding of sourdough starter

Options
13»

Comments

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    @lkapigian When I plan to bake on the weekend here's my workflow (just for conversation):
    On Thursday night I'll pull my refrigerated starter out and feed it at a 1:1:1 ratio - leaving it on the counter over night.
    Friday morning - feed the starter at a 1:2:2 ratio - leave it on the counter.
    Friday night - feed at a 1:2:2 or a 1:3:3 ratio depending on how "happy" it looks - leave it on the counter

Saturday morning I'll make the dough. Use whatever recipe you like. Refresh the starter after using some. Let it grow for a couple of hours and then stick in the refrigerator until the next round.
    I'l make several turns to the dough as I'm about the house and yard doing things. I usually will shape the loaves and put them in a banneton about six hours or so later. Put in a 2 gallon Ziplock and refrigerate.

Bake on Sunday. 

I'll add any details you're interested in but I didn't want to write a book :)
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Grilltastic
    Options
    Do you do any discarding of starter as you do the feedings when you start in the evening, seems like if not you will end up with a lot of starter
    Boynton Beach, Fl
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,776
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    @lkapigian When I plan to bake on the weekend here's my workflow (just for conversation):
    On Thursday night I'll pull my refrigerated starter out and feed it at a 1:1:1 ratio - leaving it on the counter over night.
    Friday morning - feed the starter at a 1:2:2 ratio - leave it on the counter.
    Friday night - feed at a 1:2:2 or a 1:3:3 ratio depending on how "happy" it looks - leave it on the counter

Saturday morning I'll make the dough. Use whatever recipe you like. Refresh the starter after using some. Let it grow for a couple of hours and then stick in the refrigerator until the next round.
    I'l make several turns to the dough as I'm about the house and yard doing things. I usually will shape the loaves and put them in a banneton about six hours or so later. Put in a 2 gallon Ziplock and refrigerate.

Bake on Sunday. 

I'll add any details you're interested in but I didn't want to write a book :)
    Thanks @SciAggie , can you expand on the ratio? 1 part X 2 part Y. I was not sure how long it would take to revive the starter, but figured wose case if it revided quickly I would just feed everyday until ready?
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • SciAggie
    Options
    @lkapigian the ratio is starter:flour:water. So a 1:1:1 is one part starter: one part flour: and one part water. I usually mix 125g starter: 125g flour: 125g of purified water. This will take 6-8 hours to fully mature (for me).

Then the next feeding (1:2:2) I'll take 375/5 or 75g starter: 150g flour: 150g water. Throw away the remaining starter or use it for something.

Each feeding takes 6-8 hours to mature.

@Grilltastic Yes, throw away some of the starter or use it in pancakes, waffles, Dutch babies, biscuits, etc. I wash a lot of starter down the sink.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • lkapigian
    Options
    @SciAggie so you are making a"starter" from your "Starter" specifically when you are ready to bake....Thanks for the heads up, I was just going to use some starter from the "Mother Jar"
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • SciAggie
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    @SciAggie so you are making a"starter" from your "Starter" specifically when you are ready to bake....Thanks for the heads up, I was just going to use some starter from the "Mother Jar"
    I apologize for not being a better communicator. I have a "mother jar". When I refresh the starter, I take some from the mother jar and mix with the appropriate amount of water and flour in a bowl or something. Then I clean out the mother jar and refill with what I just mixed up. 
    The only time I use a second container is if I need a bunch of starter for a double or triple batch of dough or a bunch of pizzas or something.
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • lkapigian
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    lkapigian said:
    I apologize for not being a better communicator. I have a "mother jar". When I refresh the starter, I take some from the mother jar and mix with the appropriate amount of water and flour in a bowl or something. Then I clean out the mother jar and refill with what I just mixed up. 
    The only time I use a second container is if I need a bunch of starter for a double or triple batch of dough or a bunch of pizzas or something.
    I appreciate all the input @SciAggie, hopefully I will be posting a not "To Failed" Bread Attempt 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • SciAggie
    Options
    @lkapigian Dude, sourdough took me a while to get a handle on. Just bake, and keep baking. I still don't feel like I truly control my bread, but I'm getting there. Shaping is a whole beast in itself.
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited March 2018
    Options
    caliking said:
    Its customary to name one's starter, BTW.
    2+yrs later and mine remains nameless. 
    But, I'm leaning hard toward Clarice or Precious :lol:

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • lkapigian
    Options
    caliking said:

Yeastie Boyz here
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    caliking said:

If you are going that route, Catherine would be the call (she was the one in the well).

It make a nice bubbly levain,
    Or I start from scratch again
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited March 2018
    Options
    @20stone It makes the bread rise or else it gets fed again. :grin:
    Buffalo Levain Bob has I decent ring to it. 

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL