Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New BGE products

Options

Comments

• SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,898
    Options
    Waiting for SMOBOT owners to weigh in on the new top cap and rain cover. 
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    KJ is catching them and maybe beating them in the marketing department.
    KJ is all over Instagram probably out posting BGE 2 to 1 or more
    KJ is crushing the social media game 
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,976
    Options
    Yeah yeah the Kamado Joe forum is a hopping place man!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    edited March 2018
    Options
    SamIAm2 said:
    Waiting for SMOBOT owners to weigh in on the new top cap and rain cover. 

I have a smokware cap on my egg that sits in the elements and a DFMT on my egg that sits under cover. I prefer using the DFMT but the smokeware cap does have it's benefits when exposed to the elements. I don't see an improvement with that new top.

I have no experience with the smobot.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    You are right on. The BGE brand is a juggernaut. Those who think it doesn’t matter are simply misinformed. The average consumer knows the egg. They prolly call the pretenders eggs. 
  • Hungry Joe
    edited March 2018
    Options
    You are right on. The BGE brand is a juggernaut. Those who think it doesn’t matter are simply misinformed. The average consumer knows the egg. They prolly call the pretenders eggs. 
    Are you a BGE dealer or associated with BGE?

BTW, I do know this is a BGE forum but we do discuss all kind of cookers here.
  • johnnyp
    Options
    Couldn’t agree more. BGE dominates the category.

But as society moves more and more web-based, I think it would be unwise to overlook KJs social media presence.  Future google searches will matter with the next generation of consumers. 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited March 2018
    Options
    The kicker here is that BGE controls the dealer retail space.  They could strong arm dealers to 86 competitive aftermarket offerings, like they've done with dealers offering Primo, KJ, etc.

Most new eggers don't know of these aftermarket options, and will buy this BGE stuff as a first buy package.  It's not a quick decapitation on the chopping block, but an arm and leg, with a saw, slowly.  It sucks.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Don’t get me wrong, I think BGE should keep trying to innovate and pay attention to what their competitors are doing.  That’s just smart business.  But I really doubt they’re seriously threatened by KJ.  Brand name recognition goes a long way.
  • johnnyp
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Don’t get me wrong, I think BGE should keep trying to innovate and pay attention to what their competitors are doing.  That’s just smart business.  But I really doubt they’re seriously threatened by KJ.  Brand name recognition goes a long way.
    I hope BGE stays relevant forever.  love the brand, the community and culture.

But once upon a time blockbuster probably didn’t worry about Netflix either.  
  • Focker
    Options
    That brand recognition loyalty is fading. 
    Not that long ago it was only Primo, BGE, and Grill Dome.  
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    Over the years I've heard BGE corporate is quick to sic their lawyers on any one who uses any form of the word egg on any after market product to be used on a BGE. It has been described as a "come to Jesus" meeting on steroids! One guy said he assumed that nasty lawyer would sue chickens if he could! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Focker
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Anyone still rock a Blackberry?  Obama does. Lol
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    It’s probably been a couple years since I looked at their forum. It didn’t appear to be that active...
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    johnnyp said:

Netflix was a fundamental change to the business model.  There may be an analog to that in terms of Kamado grills, but KJ isn’t it.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    It’s probably been a couple years since I looked at their forum. It didn’t appear to be that active...
    It’s a leper colony.
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,364
    Options
    Was smart to make the woo copy with the solid inner ring on the bottom to handle half stones. I have the woo and extender with grid, this adds a few more setup options but it’s definately a clone. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    RRP said:
    Over the years I've heard BGE corporate is quick to sic their lawyers on any one who uses any form of the word egg on any after market product to be used on a BGE. It has been described as a "come to Jesus" meeting on steroids! One guy said he assumed that nasty lawyer would sue chickens if he could! 
    Yeah even Big Green Craig has had to hire an entire team of lawyers.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Now that it looks like we're not gonna die from a N Korea nuclear strike, I might invest in some of this.  I'd rather support the CGS than BGE corporate.  I thought the Mini max stand was cool, but I'd rather have a table to bring along that could support the MM and many other things as well.  Hearing the guys name was Marco did make me miss @Don Marco BGE really hosed that guy!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • johnnyp
    Options
    johnnyp said:

Netflix was a fundamental change to the business model.  There may be an analog to that in terms of Kamado grills, but KJ isn’t it.
    Fair.

My point was that there was a time where their business models were comparable. DVD rentals. Retail vs mail order.

then one company evolved.  the other failed to stay relevant to the consumer. 

BGE isn’t an irrelevant brand. But if they remain reactionary and don’t increase their online presence, the next generation of consumers may find value in the competition.   
  • Hungry Joe
    Options
    Hans61 said:

The KJ forum does better then the original BGE forum. I blame the format for that going downhill but the regulars defend it and it doesn't seem like it will ever change.

It's kind of sad watching it die. There was a lot of good information there. A lot got transferred here so it's not a total lose.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    johnnyp said:
    johnnyp said:

Fair.

My point was that there was a time where their business models were comparable. DVD rentals. Retail vs mail order.

BGE isn’t an irrelevant brand. But if they remain reactionary and don’t increase their online presence, the next generation of consumers may find value in the competition.   
    It’s certainly possible.  I’m not sure why any of it would matter to any of us.  
  • johnnyp
    edited March 2018
    Options
    johnnyp said:
    johnnyp said:

Fair.

It’s certainly possible.  I’m not sure why any of it would matter to any of us.  
    Well, I suppose ultimately it doesn’t.

although, I do hope someone is around to honor my lifetime warranty =)
  • Woodchunk
    Woodchunk Posts: 911
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I am of the mind that since a large part of this parallels after market items bge is partnering up rather than tooling up for some of these things. 

royal oak/ bge lump
    Daltile company in Mexico makes the ceramics
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Options
    Playing catch-up with the woo and KJ. But, that's the way the market works.  Happy to benefit from this innovation and competition.
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    It’s a leper colony.
    If it has no inhabitants it's no longer a colony. :)

KJ seems to have abandoned their own forum. It has been "down for maintenance" for many, many months.

KJ seems content (at the moment anyway) to rely on other social media outlets for their users and for spreading corporate info.

Bobby Brennan (KJ owner) is a pretty frequent contributor on one of the KJ groups on FB. He has always been pretty open about sharing photos on what they are doing and what prototypes they are playing with (their new pizza making insert looks pretty sweet).

Personally, I much prefer a dedicated forum than Facebook but it is what it is.

I'd bet that more BGE users are participating in the various Facebook groups than are regulars here on this forum. Just seems to be the way things are these days.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Woodchunk
    Woodchunk Posts: 911
    Options
    more fb users are posting cooks
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    HeavyG said:

I'd bet that more BGE users are participating in the various Facebook groups than are regulars here on this forum. Just seems to be the way things are these days.
    Just in terms of sheer numbers, the main BGE FB group is huge, with nearly 50k members.  

KJ’s main one appears to have 17k.  

I’m not sure any of these dedicated/closed groups or forums really drive business.  What drives business for BGE and KJ on FB is people posting cooks on their grills that all of their friends can see.  

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    RRP said:
    Yeah even Big Green Craig has had to hire an entire team of lawyers.
    Ha ha ha, John! I'll never believe that Big Green Craig isn't sponsored by BGE corporate. Besides Craig's classes et. al. are not material products to be used on eggs, but are very specific supportive product useage.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.