Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT CalifOregon for my 60th OT

Options
YukonRon
YukonRon Posts: 16,991
Doing a northern California/Oregon tour with My Beautiful Wife for my 60th, coming up in July. 

Putting together a trip itinerary right now, based on some hiking, wine tours, and some dining. Got Mustards reserved, and trying to get the French Laundry in as well. 

We will be staying at "The Cottages of Napa Valley", been there before, and it remains a favorite of ours. Got a couple of VRBOs along the coast for the drive down.

Going to be in that area for 9 days......
Any insights on some cool places or great backpacking, I would certainly appreciate any insight you wish to share.

The coastal highway from our arrival in Portland, Oregon heading south to Napa has been decided for the route.

Thank you in advance for any help offered.
"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
Louisville, Kentucky

Comments

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Want some company? Celebrating my 60th in July (if I make it) this year also. Party and I are going to plan something. I would like to take in Yosemite....but would love to celebrate a day or two with you along the way.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Captainjimpark
    Options
    https://www.theoutbound.com/oregon/hiking/hike-the-salmonberry-train-track-trail  
    This is my favorite spot in the country,I grew up near there.its about an hour and a half from Portland on the coast.
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,270
    Options
    @YukonRon, here's a hike I've done with my family. It's an hour or so and close enough to where you're staying:

Healdsburg Ridge Open Space Preserve

http://sonomahikingtrails.com/parks/healdsburg-ridge/

I would be remiss if I didn't mention Campo Fina in Healdsburg.

http://campofina.com/_media/CampoFina_Menu-Dinner-Sample.pdf

Have fun!
    Mountain View, CA
  • YukonRon
    Options
    We have done Yosemite, and loved it, you will too. I got stories.

We would love to have some folks hook up with us, while out there. 

We may do a couple of trails in the YoValley. Be sure to check the alpine region, it is beautiful. We did Tahoe through Stanislaus  National Forest and stayed in a small town (Sonora?) about 20-30 miles from Yosemite, in an old hotel that was very cool, kind of 1890s charm. 

Lets hook up at BBIII and plan a helluva trip.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • BizGreenEgg
    BizGreenEgg Posts: 301
    Options
    You heading directly west on 26 out of Portland, then down the 101?  There's some great wineries and good place to stay just SW of Portland in the Dundee/Newberg area.  You can't drive 5 minutes in the northern Willamette valley without hitting a winery.  My favorite place to stay on the coast is Pacific City.  Yachats is another neat little town.
    Large BGE & mini stepchild & a KJ Jr.
    The damp PNW 
  • HoustonEgger
    Options
    You heading directly west on 26 out of Portland, then down the 101?  There's some great wineries and good place to stay just SW of Portland in the Dundee/Newberg area.  You can't drive 5 minutes in the northern Willamette valley without hitting a winery.  My favorite place to stay on the coast is Pacific City.  Yachats is another neat little town.
    +1 for Yachats - stayed here many times: https://www.adoberesort.com/
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    edited March 2018
    Options
    You should definitely visit this winery. It is one of the best wines I have ever tasted and is reasonable compared to the quality. http://www.sineann.com/
  • YukonRon
    Options
    @GrillSgt
    Will do. My beautiful wife loves the obscure and loves exploring for great wines, perhaps more than I. I think she will have fun. I know I will.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    https://www.theoutbound.com/oregon/hiking/hike-the-salmonberry-train-track-trail  
    This is my favorite spot in the country,I grew up near there.its about an hour and a half from Portland on the coast.
    This looks like a great to do hike for My Beautiful Wife and I. Thank you for sharing, love hikes like this. 

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    +1 for Yachats - stayed here many times: https://www.adoberesort.com/
    @HoustonEgger
    Thank you for the heads up on this one. It looks very cool and very interesting. hits all the check boxes required for My Beautiful Wife.

I really appreciate your help.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Definitely will follow your recommendations, that was the thinking while planning, using 26 to the 101 or even closer on side roads to the coast. will check out the the Dundee/Newberg recommendation too.

Thank you very much for your help.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    dmourati said:
    @YukonRon, here's a hike I've done with my family. It's an hour or so and close enough to where you're staying:

Healdsburg Ridge Open Space Preserve

http://sonomahikingtrails.com/parks/healdsburg-ridge/

I would be remiss if I didn't mention Campo Fina in Healdsburg.

http://campofina.com/_media/CampoFina_Menu-Dinner-Sample.pdf

Have fun!
    @dmourati
    Thank you for the suggestions. We will work them in to our schedule. These are fantastic. 
    I am so looking forward to this trip.

Thank you for all of the help.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    edited March 2018
    Options
    My son and DIL live in Portland. If you have any time there, lots of great places to eat. Think there's 5 James Beard award Chef's there. I've eaten at 3, and they were definitely Michelin 1 star +.

The son's family went down to Sequoia Nat'l park, a bit farther south than Yosemite. He grew up visiting a forest near where we live that had a 180 ft/350+ yrs old Tulip Tree. When he got to Sequoia, he was like "Um, big trees, then we went a bit further in. BIG TREES. I was impressed."
  • YukonRon
    edited March 2018
    Options
    gdenby said:
    My son and DIL live in Portland. If you have any time there, lots of great places to eat. Think there's 5 James Beard award Chef's there. I've eaten at 3, and they were definitely Michelin 1 star +.

The son's family went down to Sequoia Nat'l park, a bit farther south than Yosemite. He grew up visiting a forest near where we live that had a 180 ft/350+ yrs old Tulip Tree. When he got to Sequoia, he was like "Um, big trees, then we went a bit further in. BIG TREES. I was impressed."
    @gdenby

Thank you for the information, we will try to hook up with the places to eat while there. We have done Sequoia National Park, and it is amazing. When I took My Beautiful Wife there several years ago, we were able to do something she, as a child, said she always wanted to do; Drive through a tree. It has always been a bucket list thing for her to do, so we did it. 

Sadly, we have read that the iconic tree everyone has driven through, had been brought down due to fires, if memory serves me correctly.

She does want to back. She is a true Nature Lover in every sense of the word, and is fascinated, completely with everything nature provides. 

She was instrumental in getting me well enough to get back to the outdoors again, so she would have a life long hiking and camping partner.

Thank you again for the tips. We will do our best to dine in the places you had mentioned.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,636
    Options
    The Sonoma/Northern Marin coast is fantastic.  Point Reyes Nat’l Seashore for hiking, you can backpack there, dayhike, whatever.  It’s dramatic, beautiful, largely unspoiled.

Point Reyes Station, Olema and Tomales Bay have some great wine, cheese, oysters, etc.  Plenty of small places to stay, eat, hang out, etc. 

Bodega Bay is great.  Day trip west across Sonoma through Sebastopol into Occidental is a great drive into a funky, hidden, still 3/4 hippy town with some great food.  Keep going and you're at the coast in Jenner where the river dumps into the sea, just north of Bodega Bay.  Not sure of the timing, but see if you can find fresh abalone around Bodega.  Unreal if you've never had it.
  • YukonRon
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Legume said:
    The Sonoma/Northern Marin coast is fantastic.  Point Reyes Nat’l Seashore for hiking, you can backpack there, dayhike, whatever.  It’s dramatic, beautiful, largely unspoiled.

Point Reyes Station, Olema and Tomales Bay have some great wine, cheese, oysters, etc.  Plenty of small places to stay, eat, hang out, etc. 

Bodega Bay is great.  Day trip west across Sonoma through Sebastopol into Occidental is a great drive into a funky, hidden, still 3/4 hippy town with some great food.  Keep going and you're at the coast in Jenner where the river dumps into the sea, just north of Bodega Bay.  Not sure of the timing, but see if you can find fresh abalone around Bodega.  Unreal if you've never had it.
    @Legume
    RFO!!! We have done Point Reyes previously, and that is a definite return to for us. I will certainly add the suggestions and make it a couple of wonderful days. The last time we did was during the week, and the place was almost abandoned when we went. We did not see folks for miles.

Just checked with one of the Park Rangers we got to know while there, and there have been some collapses and cave ins around chimney rock, and others. some trails are still open while others are closed.

Thank you for the heads up. We will be on this trek.

EDIT: Just found out the 2018 Abalone fishing season, for California has been banned due to the almost wiped out colonies, due to over fishing for abalone up and down the California coast. Bummer.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,636
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Legume said:

@Legume
    RFO!!! We have done Point Reyes previously, and that is a definite return to for us. I will certainly add the suggestions and make it a couple of wonderful days. The last time we did was during the week, and the place was almost abandoned when we went. We did not see folks for miles.

Just checked with one of the Park Rangers we got to know while there, and there have been some collapses and cave ins around chimney rock, and others. some trails are still open while others are closed.

Ah, glad you know of it and like it.  One of my favorite areas.  As a boy scout in the '70s, we had at least one backpacking trip a year to Pt. Reyes.  When I married, my wife and I bought our first house in Novato in the early '90s, just inland from Pt. Reyes Station and Olema.  Loved it there.

Much further north, but Ft. Bragg and Eureka areas used to be great stops.  I suspect they've grown quite a bit, so I don't know what they're like now.  Fishing/logging towns.
  • YukonRon
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Legume said:
    YukonRon said:
    Legume said:

@Legume

Ah, glad you know of it and like it.  One of my favorite areas.  As a boy scout in the '70s, we had at least one backpacking trip a year to Pt. Reyes.  When I married, my wife and I bought our first house in Novato in the early '90s, just inland from Pt. Reyes Station and Olema.  Loved it there.

Much further north, but Ft. Bragg and Eureka areas used to be great stops.  I suspect they've grown quite a bit, so I don't know what they're like now.  Fishing/logging towns.
    @Legume

They have grown a lot, since I had been there previous to my last venture, through. It will be interesting to see, on this journey, just how much they have grown, yet again.

We will have a blast. Hope you can get back out there soon. one of the most incredible places on earth.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • gonepostal
    gonepostal Posts: 711
    Options
    @YukonRon just so you know...my big trip this year is Louisville! haha We are coming up Derby week but getting out of town on Thursday. Our first time. Maybe Thurs -Sat another time. Hope you guys enjoy your trip!
    Wetumpka, Alabama
    LBGE and MM
  • dcc
    dcc Posts: 90
    Options
    Did a loop from Sonoma up to Medford and back down the coast last summer for my 60th.  Made a day trip to Crater Lake from Medford.  Definitely worth a stop.  Heading south  Newton B Drury parkway has lots of easy hikes in the redwoods.  Liked that better than Avenue of the Giants.  The Best Western in Eureka was a good place to crash for one night.  Huge hot tub to enjoy a bottle of wine in.  VRBO in Ft Bragg Mendocino area called Marebello. On a cliff over the ocean with a private hot tub on the deck.  Worth 2 nights and doing nothing but chill during the day.  Great breakfast or lunch at David's.  Book it through Vacasa vs VRBO.  The further south you go the worse the traffic gets.  If I do it again will head inland at The Russian River.  The Charles  M Schulz museum in Santa Rosa is nice if you are a peanuts fan. In Napa/ Sonoma we like Chappellet and Pride Mountain wineries.  The Kunde mountaintop tour was nice.  The food/wine pairing at St Francis is also very nice.  Dean and DeLuca in St Helena is much better than the Oakville Market.  The Sonoma Market and Glen Ellen Village Market are great groceries to pick up a meal to go.  Have fun!
    Houston (Clear Lake) TX
    2 LBGE, 1 Mini-Max

• YukonRon
    Options
    @YukonRon just so you know...my big trip this year is Louisville! haha We are coming up Derby week but getting out of town on Thursday. Our first time. Maybe Thurs -Sat another time. Hope you guys enjoy your trip!
    We will. hope we are here when you all are in town be glad to hook up and hoist a few, should you be so inclined, or if it fits within your travel schedule.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    dcc said:
    Did a loop from Sonoma up to Medford and back down the coast last summer for my 60th.  Made a day trip to Crater Lake from Medford.  Definitely worth a stop.  Heading south  Newton B Drury parkway has lots of easy hikes in the redwoods.  Liked that better than Avenue of the Giants.  The Best Western in Eureka was a good place to crash for one night.  Huge hot tub to enjoy a bottle of wine in.  VRBO in Ft Bragg Mendocino area called Marebello. On a cliff over the ocean with a private hot tub on the deck.  Worth 2 nights and doing nothing but chill during the day.  Great breakfast or lunch at David's.  Book it through Vacasa vs VRBO.  The further south you go the worse the traffic gets.  If I do it again will head inland at The Russian River.  The Charles  M Schulz museum in Santa Rosa is nice if you are a peanuts fan. In Napa/ Sonoma we like Chappellet and Pride Mountain wineries.  The Kunde mountaintop tour was nice.  The food/wine pairing at St Francis is also very nice.  Dean and DeLuca in St Helena is much better than the Oakville Market.  The Sonoma Market and Glen Ellen Village Market are great groceries to pick up a meal to go.  Have fun!
    Tons of great information and thank you for sharing.I will try yo implement as much as possible on the trip. 

Thank you so much for sharing your insight.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    What a great thread. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,733
    edited March 2018
    Options
    We drove down part of the PCH last Xmas, starting in SF and ending up in LA. We didn't hike, but camped at a few sites, and it was very fun. Caliprince got a big kick out of it all.

Don't know if this would interest you, but we rented a campervan, which was very self-contained.

https://www.escapecampervans.com

Great folks to deal with, and it definitely amped up the fun of our trip. The highlight was probably the night we camped in the Big Sur area. The van was awesome, and we ate well throughout the trip, since the van includes a stove, sink, and a great little fridge. I enjoyed the mornings the most - waking up in the forest, sipping coffee, and making breakfast.

Hope you have a wonderful birthday trip!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Alexana in Willamette valley is a great winery. Good pinot and a killer pinot rose. Had great whites too. I stopped at a few others that were all very good but this one still stands out as the best one of that trip. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,252
    Options
    Interesting that Pacific City was mentioned above. My grandfather was a commercial salmon fisherman there, we used to visit every summer. Loved watching the Dory fleet launch and recover from the beach. 

Also, someone else mentioned Crater Lake. If you’ve never been you really should - amazing. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • YukonRon
    Options
    GrillSgt said:
    What a great thread. 
    Concur. Anybody can plan a great trip, but this is making it pretty cool with all the experience and insight.

Loving it.

Thank you everyone.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    caliking said:
    We drove down part of the PCH last Xmas, starting in SF and ending up in LA. We didn't hike, but camped at a few sites, and it was very fun. Caliprince got a big kick out of it all.

Don't know if this would interest you, but we rented a campervan, which was very self-contained.

https://www.escapecampervans.com

Great folks to deal with, and it definitely amped up the fun of our trip. The highlight was probably the night we camped in the Big Sur area. The van was awesome, and we ate well throughout the trip, since the van includes a stove, sink, and a great little fridge. I enjoyed the mornings the most - waking up in the forest, sipping coffee, and making breakfast.

Hope you have a wonderful birthday trip!

@caliking
    First, thank you for the good wishes. I appreciate it tremendously. 

I also appreciate the heads up on the camper vans. A few years back, we saw a group of folks in an RV rental in Yosemite. They were having the time of their lives.

We will check it out, and see if they can do Portland to Sacramento. If they can, we will see what happens.

We love to camp and love backpacking. Nothing like sunrise in the mountains or for that matter, sunset. Remote and away from the city, the night sky is awesome.

Looking forward to this. Very, very much.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Alexana it is. We will try and work it in. My Beautiful Wife and I love burgundy, and look forward to Willamette. 
    Thank you for the information, appreciate it very much.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    CTMike said:
    Interesting that Pacific City was mentioned above. My grandfather was a commercial salmon fisherman there, we used to visit every summer. Loved watching the Dory fleet launch and recover from the beach. 

Also, someone else mentioned Crater Lake. If you’ve never been you really should - amazing. 
    @CTMike

Crater lake is a target for us. I would definitely like to see it, and My Beautiful Wife does too.

Everyone that knows me, has told me it is a must see. Well, I plan on making it happen.

Thank you for sharing the story of your grandpa, and thank you for the suggestion.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky