Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Once again...Zero bark...Frustrated

Options

Comments

• Tbonez3858
    Options
    blasting said:
    Tbonez3858 said:  I will dance around the egg in a chicken suit at this point 

Please be sure to take a video of the chicken suit dance around the egg.  That's a gif that could come in useful on a Friday night thread.

At this point good BBQ would be worth having an everlasting gif on the internet of me dancing around my BGE in a chicken suit...
  • Tbonez3858
    Options
    R2Egg2Q said:
    Are you spritzing or applying a mop?  Are you adding liquid to wrap and if so how much? That butt looks like it either didn’t have enough rub, was wrapped too early, something diluted the rub/bark, or some combination.

Im not spritzing or using a mop. I apply a thin coat of mustard and then heavily coat the butt in rub. I measured out 3/4 cups of rub and then added sugar, powdered onion, powdered garlic and it came up to the very top of the measuring cup (well over a full cup). I rubbed the butt down with the entire cup with nothing left over. I would guess there was an 1/8 inch of rub covering the entire butt...

Im wondering if the rig and stone are allowing too much heat to get to the butt and causing excessive "sweating" hence causing my rub to run. The place setter covers MUCH more of the lump surface than my stone. My stone easily covers the butt but there are three to four inches of lump that isn't covered...

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options

This is my current low and slow that I wrapped at 165. This is the "bark" I get regardless of rub and regardless if I wrap or not...Temp is currently at 183 and climbing. I have another three four hours to go with the wrap but its been smoking forever at 225-235 and there should be a ridiculous bark with the amount of rub and the sugar content when I wrapped at165.

You said you were using a woo. A woo gets the cooking grid up to felt level. This pic doesn’t look like a woo is involved as the grid is much lower than the felt. Can you explain more about your setup? 
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,346
    Options
    This would be a great Friday troll thread  :D:D
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Are you located in the Bermuda Triangle?
    Options
    Definitely show us a picture of your butt with the rub applied. I suspect you need to go much heavier. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    Following if only for the solution.  This one defies logic if all the information is reasonably close to accurate.  I think @nolaegghead may be on to the fundamental issue.  

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    I know you said you don't foil 60% of the time, yet all I can see in your picture is foil.  Foil = no bark.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Is there a fellow egg er in your area?   Where are you located?
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    I know you said you don't foil 60% of the time, yet all I can see in your picture is foil.  Foil = no bark.
    foil and no rub
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • mlc2013
    mlc2013 Posts: 988
    Options
    I use the woo with CGS platesetter and the but on the top rack closer to the lid without wrap dry drip pan low and slow with a hefty rub (butt rub) plus a little brown sugar added and use a cyberQ as well and put the rack temp gauge on the top rack close to the but not the outside of rack as the cgs platesetter is smaller then the BGE and Ive done the same rub method using the BGE Platesetter, platesetter feet up and stock rack same temp same time and I actually got a little better bark using the CGS setup. Now that could have been a little heavier hand on the rub and brown sugar as I dont measure I eyeball it. The reason I say this is to point out that the CGS rig works just as well as the BGE for me. Now I remove all the fat cap and never open lid till IT reads 185
    Long Island NY    
    1 XL BGE 12/17, 1 LG BGE 3/18, 1 MM BGE 3/18
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    when i lit the lump from the bottom, the butt was even lighter than this one, not sure if that had anything to do with it though.  ive never knowingly cooked a solution added one, maybe that could do it as well, more liquid steaming out?
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • mlc2013
    Options
    ^^ Ive only lit the lump from the top in 1 spot in the front right behind the vent door, so maybe the lighting has something to do with it as well. I bring egg up to 350 and let the smoke go blue then bring her back down to 225 and add wood when i add butt
    Long Island NY    
  • mlc2013
    Options
    ^^ I use RW lump cant imagine the lump you use would affect it but who knows
    Long Island NY    
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    Quit the mustard and make sure you are using enough rub. Your butt should have a coating like these ribs. 

• slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options
    From what you’ve posted - the first thing that comes to
    mind is: are you opening the lid a lot? Maybe that could be venting surface temps that could be  cooling the surface?

my bark is usually dramatic...

@MaskedMarvel unveil your secrets... that stuff is amazing 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Back to the amount of rub... I only have this one pic just after rubbing, long before I bought an egg. This is the amount of rub I have always used. Are you anywhere near this?

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Woodchunk
    Options
    Just guessing, if I covered butts in a full 1/8 inch layer of rub you would just wind up steaming like covering a fish in salt or at the most some burnt rub, no bark at all
  • Tbonez3858
    Options

This is my current low and slow that I wrapped at 165. This is the "bark" I get regardless of rub and regardless if I wrap or not...Temp is currently at 183 and climbing. I have another three four hours to go with the wrap but its been smoking forever at 225-235 and there should be a ridiculous bark with the amount of rub and the sugar content when I wrapped at165.

Foil prevents bark, foil destroys bark, foil will foil your attempts to get bark.

Thick fat caps are not your friend when going for bark.  

Low temps in an egg are not your friend for getting good bark (aim for 275ºish).

Try a set up of indirect stone, air gapped drip pan (dry), grate, and then butt).

I dont recall ever smoking a butt without the fat cap so that could be one of my problems. I don't use foil about 60% of the time so I don't think that is my problem. I wonder if the fat cap is dripping all over the meat and preventing the bark. You've suggested trimming and one other forum member suggested the same so I will definitely give that a shot. I will dance around the egg in a chicken suit at this point if it gets me any resemblance of a bark LOL...

the fat cap, especially if on top, will melt,runnoff, and wash away the rub. cut it off, i cut it completely off

Will do..Im going to skin the next one.
  • HoustonEgger
    Options
    Go heavier on the rub. I also rub my butts the night before and apply extra rub just before putting on the egg. And it looks like that butt was flipped? If so - don't touch it. Fat caps are fine, you can still get bark on those. 

Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • Tbonez3858
    Options
    Back to the amount of rub... I only have this one pic just after rubbing, long before I bought an egg. This is the amount of rub I have always used. Are you anywhere near this?

I would say that looks a lot like my Shoulder before I put it on...I am not using the same amount of rub that some of these guys are that have it mounded up.  I evenly coat mine with about an 1/8 inches. Im definitely not being shy with rub.

When I put it on the BGE it looks similar to the pic you posted. When I check it looks like the picture I posted at 185...Its as if something is sweating it off or causing it to run. I think it might be the fat cap.
  • OhioEgger
    Options
     Its as if something is sweating it off or causing it to run. I think it might be the fat cap.
    I always put mine on the grid with the fat cap on the bottom. If you're putting it on top that might explain things. I also trim the fat cap to no thicker than ¼" so that's a factor.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I have to think your Egg needs an exorcism.

My method is really simple. Good 'ole Dizzy Dust, a good coat, but not an 1/8". Raised, dome 250 -275. No 'setter. A grill, and a grill raised up to the felt line. Indirect w. nothing more than some HD foil to keep the drippings from the coals.

If I want to get fancy, when I check to see if the IT is 190, and its almost done, I sprinkle on more brown sugar for crunch, and more fresh black pepper.

Attached, my 1st successful over nighter.

Foil is only there to collect any juices, and not loose anything since it was starting to disintegrate taking it of the grill. The little puddle on top on the left is where fat seeped out from the Thermopen poke. No fat trimming.

If you have a lot of fat, run the temp up to 350 towards the end. Won't burn the sugar, and the protein in the fat cells gets crisp.
  • distanceman
    Options
    @Tbonez3858 curious do you have bark issues when doing a brisket? When you do ribs, are they a similar color as the butt? What kind of wood are you smoking with? 
    Located Middle GA

Current: XL w/ Woo & 17" Half Moon Plates, SMOBOT

RIP: Weber 22" Kettle, Slow 'n Sear, Akorn Jr., Pit Barrel Cooker
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options

Flower pot? 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options

Foil prevents bark, foil destroys bark, foil will foil your attempts to get bark.

Thick fat caps are not your friend when going for bark.  

Low temps in an egg are not your friend for getting good bark (aim for 275ºish).

Try a set up of indirect stone, air gapped drip pan (dry), grate, and then butt).

I dont recall ever smoking a butt without the fat cap so that could be one of my problems. I don't use foil about 60% of the time so I don't think that is my problem. I wonder if the fat cap is dripping all over the meat and preventing the bark. You've suggested trimming and one other forum member suggested the same so I will definitely give that a shot. I will dance around the egg in a chicken suit at this point if it gets me any resemblance of a bark LOL...

the fat cap, especially if on top, will melt,runnoff, and wash away the rub. cut it off, i cut it completely off
    Here’s the fat cap from mine yesterday. Left about 1/4”. I can only assume he is cooking too low or with not enough smoke. Possibly it is the magic egg we have heard about? Bottom pic  is a couple hour sounds in and the top is about an hour from completion  
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Flower pot? 
    Yep. Awesome smoker, as long as the weather's not too cold. Lousy grill though. =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• CarolinaQ
    Options
    Some comments about it taking a long time. My guess is you need to check the temp inside your egg independent of the dome thermo. Could be cooking it too low and it’s not getting any carmelization.
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    How’s the rest of the food you make on the egg turn out? Looking back at your posts it seems like you’ve really struggled with the egg. Maybe it’s time to get rid of it. 
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options

This is my current low and slow that I wrapped at 165....

First, STRONGLY agree with those above, do NOT wrap.  When you say you've tried not wrapping, do you mean you've let it stay in the smoke until it probes tender everywhere (which means the temperature will be close to or over 200°)?  Maybe you're actually smoking it less long than others who get more bark.

Second, I agree also that unless wrapping it took off a whole lotta rub, you have drastically less rub on than I've ever seen.  Maybe that's the issue -- a LOT more rub!

Third, take @SGH up on his offer of step-by-step how he does it, and try exactly what he does.  I'm always interested to hear how he does stuff!

Fourth, I can't help but wonder if there's something else that's different that maybe you don't realize is important and haven't mentioned.  How about next time take a photo of:
    • the rubbed meat, so everyone can see how the amount of rub compares.
    • the actual setup in the Egg without the meat, showing lump and smoke wood, and then 
    • the actual setup with the meat showing how it's actually in the Egg to begin smoking.
    • Bark at 165° because that temperature seems important to you (which makes me nervous!  Pork butts need to cook to tenderness, not temperature), AND
    • Bark (still unwrapped!) whenever it probes very tender everywhere, so it's clearly done.
    If others are getting butts and shoulders that are practically black in the same Big Green Egg, then it CANNOT be the Egg!  There has to be something different.  Don't give up until you find out what it is.