Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Off topic Starbucks sous vide egg bite

Comments

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I have been making something similar to these for years it’s  basically scrambled eggs in a vacuum sealed bag. Put your food saver on pulse and let the bag with scrambled eggs and toppings hang down and suck all the air out. Set you’re Sous Vide and every 15 minutes take the bag out and mash it all up with your fingers. Usually takes about 45 minutes.
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Lit said:
    I made a batch from the Anova site 172 for 90 minutes and they were amazing. Might try playing with the temp it sounded higher temp than needed and longer than needed but I was surprised by the results. Did Gruyere, cream cheese, eggs and salt with chives and bacon on the bottom. Will take a couple pics tomorrow if I remember. 
    The Anova site recipes call for a 1 hour bath, not 90 minutes.  Shorter times than you used should be fine.  172º -176º are often recommended as the temps for custards.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• EggMcMic
    EggMcMic Posts: 340
    @JohnInCarolina the crust stayed put on the bottom. As I recall I crushed graham crackers and mixed with some melted butter. I think this is similar to making a regular (big) graham cracker crust but I haven't done that. I took about a tablespoon and spooned it into the bottom of each jar and then flattened it out with my thumb. Backed for 10 minutes at 350. Let cool. Poured in the cheese cake mixture and then into the SV. Crust stayed put on the bottom. Put some fruit on top and served in the jars. 
    EggMcMcc
    Central Illinois
    First L BGE July 2016, RecTec, Traeger, Weber, Campchef
    Second BGE, a MMX, February 2017
    Third BGE, another large, May, 2017
    Added another griddle (BassPro) December 2017
  • EggMcMic said:
    @JohnInCarolina the crust stayed put on the bottom. As I recall I crushed graham crackers and mixed with some melted butter. I think this is similar to making a regular (big) graham cracker crust but I haven't done that. I took about a tablespoon and spooned it into the bottom of each jar and then flattened it out with my thumb. Backed for 10 minutes at 350. Let cool. Poured in the cheese cake mixture and then into the SV. Crust stayed put on the bottom. Put some fruit on top and served in the jars. 
    It sounds epic.  I have got to try this!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Lit
    Came out good for how much I drank. 
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited February 2018
    Lit said:
    Are you hitting them with a torch or oven broiler?
    They look fantastic. Although I have never tried or even seen the SB version.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo Egg said:
    Lit said:
    Are you hitting them with a torch or oven broiler?
    They look fantastic. Although I have never tried or even seen the SB version.
    Nice!
  • I'm brand new to sous vide,are most of you using food savers ? Or is there a step up?  I bought a food saver at Sam's club a few years ago and was unimpressed, it would do fine the first few bags but after that not so good.serms like it got warm and I'd have to let cool down. Maybe I just had a bad machine.
  • Lit
    @Photo Egg just using the office toaster oven on broil. Want to get a torch though.
  • slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    @Lit so you ate them all in one sitting? No judgment here... maybe a little
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    I'm brand new to sous vide,are most of you using food savers ? Or is there a step up?  I bought a food saver at Sam's club a few years ago and was unimpressed, it would do fine the first few bags but after that not so good.serms like it got warm and I'd have to let cool down. Maybe I just had a bad machine.

I use a food saver when I vacuum seal, but 95% of the time I just use ziplock freezer bags and use water to displace the air.  This works equally well to a foodsaver.  It is important to grab the freezer bags because of their temperature ratings, though. 
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932

Also, Ziplock bags let you easily cook with an open top.  This is particularly beneficial when cooking green vegetables and you want to maintain their bright, vibrant color during cooking.

http://sousvideresources.com/2016/12/15/sans-vide/

XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Lit
    slovelad said:
    @Lit so you ate them all in one sitting? No judgment here... maybe a little
    No they were to share with co-workers I ate 2.
  • Stoogie
    Stoogie Posts: 173
    Have a question about this - I've got a dozen 4 oz jars that have been in my sous vide at 160* for 40 minutes.  When I went to take them out, it appears that they're not "set up" like the pictures that others have posted on this thread.  Will they "set up" after they cool down or haven't they been in the bath long enough?
    Large BGE

Neenah, WI
  • Lit
    Stoogie said:
    Have a question about this - I've got a dozen 4 oz jars that have been in my sous vide at 160* for 40 minutes.  When I went to take them out, it appears that they're not "set up" like the pictures that others have posted on this thread.  Will they "set up" after they cool down or haven't they been in the bath long enough?
    I would leave them in longer. I did mine for 90 minutes.
  • Stoogie
    Stoogie Posts: 173
    Lit said:
    Stoogie said:
    Thanks.  So when I take the jars out of the bath and turn them sideways, I shouldn't be able to see the egg mixture kind of run, correct?  It should be set, right?  
    Large BGE

Neenah, WI
  • Lit
    Stoogie said:
    Lit said:
    Stoogie said:
    Thanks.  So when I take the jars out of the bath and turn them sideways, I shouldn't be able to see the egg mixture kind of run, correct?  It should be set, right?  
    Yeah the ones I have done were set when I took them out.
  • Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    I'm brand new to sous vide,are most of you using food savers ? Or is there a step up?  I bought a food saver at Sam's club a few years ago and was unimpressed, it would do fine the first few bags but after that not so good.serms like it got warm and I'd have to let cool down. Maybe I just had a bad machine.
    Yes there's a step up. 
    https://www.webstaurantstore.com/ary-vacmaster-vp215-chamber-vacuum-packaging-machine-with-10-1-4-seal-bar/120VMASVP215.html?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=GoogleShopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3MnFyY-72QIVXkwNCh3D4w0xEAQYASABEgIIwfD_BwE

I hated my food saver. This is altogether different.
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Shamelessly jumping on the bandwagon. 

Have a a batch of mini southern eggsluts in the bath. 1/4 cup of garlic cheese grits and an egg in each 4oz jar. 147 x 1hr. Let’s see how this turns out. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking
    Turned out pretty good. Would have liked the egg to be a little more set though. 

• jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    @caliking, just egg and grits? No other ingredients?
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • caliking
    jeffwit said:
    @caliking, just egg and grits? No other ingredients?
    its not really like  the SB egg bites I guess.  More like the Eggslut item, with grits subbed for the mashed potatoes. 

• Photo Egg
    edited February 2018
    I made my first batch using the Instant Pot recepe @167 for 90 minutes using the Anova.
    Bacon, mushrooms, chives and added a little more cheese to the top and torched it lightly after dumping it from jar. Happy with first attempt.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • caliking said:
    Turned out pretty good. Would have liked the egg to be a little more set though. 

Did you pre poach the egg first or add it raw?

XL, 2-Lg, Mini, 36" Blackstone (Formerly CM23)
  • caliking

Did you pre poach the egg first or add it raw?

Cracked the egg right into the jar. 

• Photo Egg said:
    I made my first batch using the Instant Pot recepe @167 for 90 minutes using the Anova.
    Bacon, mushrooms, chives and added a little more cheese to the top and torched it lightly after dumping it from jar. Happy with first attempt.

Those look great, il be trying my first batch tomorrow using egg whites.I'm going to the poorhouse paying $4:45 plus tax at Starbucks.and that's for two,basicly 4 bites.
  • What’s everyone’s preferred method for heating them up if you have them in the fridge?
    Large BGE
    Huntsville, AL
  • Photo Egg
    jeponline said:
    What’s everyone’s preferred method for heating them up if you have them in the fridge?
    I warmed mine at half power in the micowave then torched after adding cheese.
    Inthink @Lit warmed up his at work in toaster oven to brown the top.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo Egg
    edited February 2018

Photo Egg said:
    Those look great, il be trying my first batch tomorrow using egg whites.I'm going to the poorhouse paying $4:45 plus tax at Starbucks.and that's for two,basicly 4 bites.
    Once you prep all the ingredients you want to put in the jar it's super easy.
    I wasted time shredding the chease I put in the blender. Should have just cut into pieces. The Vitamix doesn't care.lol
    I will cut back on the cottage cheese next time. I did 167 @ 90 minutes.
    I also floated a zipcoc bag with the extra egg mix and that worked great as well.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas