Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket - Traeger and BGE teamwork

Canugghead
Canugghead Posts: 11,458
edited February 2018 in Beef
About 13.5lb, injected with 1 cup low sodium beef broth + 1 ts garlic powder + 1 ts onion powder, coated with layers of worcestershire sauce + Lane's Signature rub + yellow mustard + Lanes's Qnami rub. Rested overnight.

Set up XL with few pieces of furniture grade new oak chunks.  Started in Traeger for 2.5 hr at 180'ish for the smoke ring that I have trouble getting in BGE, then transferred to XL to complete the cook.  Wrapped in butcher paper at IT 170 when bark was decent, pulled at IT 205, rested in cooler for an hour.  Whole cook took looooong 18 hours ... XL started at 225 but bumped to 250, 275 and 300 as time was running out  :)  

Still experimenting with different ways to attack brisket, including SV, have to say this is quite decent.

canuckland

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Can't argue with that pretty smoke ring and pool juices on the cutting board!
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    edited February 2018
    Looks like the collaboration on cookers worked for your smoke ring.  Brisket looks great! 18 hrs, you have more patience than I do. Lol
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Looks great!   
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Pictures say it all. Damn good work 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Great result right there.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    Way to bring it home.  Congrats on working the process as the end result speaks to your success.  I'm hungry.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Canugghead
    Thanks everyone for the kind words.

@R2Egg2Q I started early and low deliberately, most of the time was hands off with the Traeger electronics and Stoker minding the temp while I slept, I was also busy cooking ribs in the Traeger and pizza+naan in the kitchen box!
    canuckland
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Thanks everyone for the kind words.

@R2Egg2Q I started early and low deliberately, most of the time was hands off with the Traeger electronics and Stoker minding the temp while I slept, I was also busy cooking ribs in the Traeger and pizza+naan in the kitchen box!
    Sounds like quite the feast and you made the most out of your time (including getting some decent sleep).  Well done!
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Looks like you nailed it.  Bravo!
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    Dude.  Outstanding.  I'm gearing up for a big cook in a few weeks (10-12 briskets and 10-12 pork butts) and I was thinking of something like that - only starting the briskets on a huge offset and finishing them on kamados (combination of BGEs and other brands) while we use the offset for the pork.

This post validates my thinking.  Thank you.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Canugghead
    @Foghorn Wow, that's a BIG cook, I'm sure you'd smash it! Lots of pictures please!
    canuckland
  • Wow... great cook
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    @Foghorn Wow, that's a BIG cook, I'm sure you'd smash it! Lots of pictures please!
    I'll definitely take some pictures.  If any of the briskets turn out a good as yours it will be a win.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Gary, you definitely have more patience than I do, and you definitely use your superpowers for good :)

Have you done brisket entirely on the Traeger yet? Any advantage to moving the brisket to the BGE to finish the cook? 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Canugghead
    Ashish, not brisket but I've done pulled pork all the way in the Traeger, I recall vaguely it was drier and lacks the smoke taste profile from the BGE that the family loves; also afraid of the occasional void in the pellet feed if left unattended overnight. Needed the Traeger for four racks of baby back ribs too. 
    canuckland