Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Big Chill: In Search of the Perfect Steak

Options
Do I have your attention now?  I thought that I might.

The guys over at Amazing Ribs did a nice little controlled study, looking at three different ways of combining SV with smoking to obtain the perfect steak.  The piece is a couple months old and may have been talked about here before - sorry if I missed that:

https://amazingribs.com/more-technique-and-science/more-cooking-science/big-chill-trick-making-perfect-sous-vide-que-steak

Interesting that the winner - #1 - looks a little closer to medium than I think most of us would care for. 

As much of a fan of SV combined with the BGE as I am, I have to admit that with thick steaks I like to just go with the straight reverse sear.  The ones I did last night were done that way.  I like the smoke flavor the meat picks up, and I can't say that I've noticed a huge difference in tenderness vs what you can obtain with the SV.  And I wish one of the controls in this study was a steak that was done precisely that way, with no SV at all, because the last one is the other way (with no smoke). 

Anyway, I'll probably try this "big chill" approach the next time I do them, just to see how they come out. 

Somewhat related, I got into it with some idiot in one of the FB groups who told someone they shouldn't SV meat at a temp as low as 131F because it's in the "danger zone".  The Amazing Ribs piece once again points out that this isn't a concern, as the meat in the SV is being pasteurized at that temp.  Douglas Baldwin talks about this in his book as well. 

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    I did a sous vide steak twice. First time and last time. 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    I recently cooked a 1 1/4 lb prime NY strip in SV with s&p and some DP Mole and then really put a hard sear on it in a screaming hot ci pan on the side burner of my gasser.   Sliced some thin for tacos, but mostly we just ate it off the board.  One of the best steaks I’ve had, or cooked and there was no smoke or charcoal involved.

• Gravytrain84
    Options
    Why?
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Like with any other tool, it's not for everything, and it's not for everyone.  Still, I'd hesitate on drawing big conclusions on the basis of a single run of anything. 
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    Why?
    I don’t like the texture of SV meats like chicken and steaks. It’s a personal thing. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    I quit SV for steaks as well. Reverse sear, direct grilling and Caveman are better for us for the various steaks we eat. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Gravytrain84
    Options
    I don’t like sv for ribeyes.. too fatty. But it’s great for strips and filets IMO. 
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    Like with any other tool, it's not for everything, and it's not for everyone.  Still, I'd hesitate on drawing big conclusions on the basis of a single run of anything. 
    I’ve had SV meats plenty of times. Steaks, chicken, chops etc.  including some cooked by others. I just don’t like the texture of any of it. (Except Dylan’s pit beef). Chicken is my least favorite. I prefer the more traditional cooking methods for proteins. 
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    SV more often then not gives my steaks a pot roast taste/smell that I don’t care for
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    Same old question for me. Why? If you’re going to use the sv for the part of the cook that imparts the smoke flavor why bother to use the egg for just a few minutes of cook?

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    GrillSgt said:
    Same old question for me. Why? If you’re going to use the sv for the part of the cook that imparts the smoke flavor why bother to use the egg for just a few minutes of cook?

The article makes it pretty clear if you ask me.
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Perfect timing of this thread @JohnInCarolina!  Just last nite I sous vided prime NY strips which were frozen the n seared them over mesquite charcoal on minimax.   My boys said these were the best ever.  I liked em but my judging was off last nite as I as 4 beers deep by the time we ate....
  • NC_Egghead
    Options
    Reverse sear is hard to beat!
    Charlotte, NC

XL BGE, WSM, Weber Genesis 2, Weber Kettle
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Perfect timing of this thread @JohnInCarolina!  Just last nite I sous vided prime NY strips which were frozen the n seared them over mesquite charcoal on minimax.   My boys said these were the best ever.  I liked em but my judging was off last nite as I as 4 beers deep by the time we ate....
    That looks outstanding!  I have also been afflicted by the four beers impaired judgment from time to time...
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Just skimmed through the article, interesting idea, may fix what some of us don’t like about Sv steaks. 

standing by for your impressions once you’ve tried it! 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Good read. Interesting too as I recently read on Reddit about a guy who did “his best sv steak EVER” and he chilled and reverse seared. I had it on my list to try and after reading this, I’ll do it this weekend for sure. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Good read. Interesting too as I recently read on Reddit about a guy who did “his best sv steak EVER” and he chilled and reverse seared. I had it on my list to try and after reading this, I’ll do it this weekend for sure. 
    When I do a chuck roast sous vide after its 48 hour "soak" I take it out of the tub and put it in the fridge for at least a half hour to cool it down some so I can then throw it on the grill and get more of a sear without worrying (too much) about overshooting the desired finish temp. Seems to work out well.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    When I do a chuck roast sous vide after its 48 hour "soak" I take it out of the tub and put it in the fridge for at least a half hour to cool it down some so I can then throw it on the grill and get more of a sear without worrying (too much) about overshooting the desired finish temp. Seems to work out well.
    I think a lot of us do some variation of this.  But there appears to be some validity to the actual rapid ice bath rather than a slow cool in the fridge.
  • OhioEgger
    Options
    I've used the SV technique a few times with great results.
    But the absolute best steaks I can make skips the SV entirely. I start with Costco Prime steaks, either ribeye or NY cut, and then use just the second part of the #1 method in the OP article.
    • Light the Egg at only one point near the edge, with a bit of smoke wood.
    • Place the steak(s) on the other half of the grid, with the fattiest edge closest to the heat, and a Smoke probe in the center of one.
    • When the IT of the steak nears 120°F, open the Egg, move the meat right over the heat, and sear to a finish.

This has been my SOP for some time now and I'm never disappointed.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    I think a lot of us do some variation of this.  But there appears to be some validity to the actual rapid ice bath rather than a slow cool in the fridge.
    The sense I got from the article was that the ice bath was used primarily for food safety concerns.

It wasn't clear in the article (or to Dr. Blonder either apparently) that the rapid ice bath chilling vs. chilling in the fridge was really significantly better from the perspective of the enzymatic effects on the meat.

Perhaps it would be noticeable in a steak which is only in the tub (typically) for a couple of hours. For a big hunk of meat tho, how much of either calpastatin or calpain remains in the meat when it is removed from the tub after a couple of days? Beats me. I think we need a little more science.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I haven't read the article yet and it's been a long time since I read Kenji's. Meathead's steaks look overcooked with LOTS of gray.

Kenji's look like this...

http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/06/food-lab-complete-guide-to-sous-vide-steak.html

That said, I finally "discovered" reverse sear and am still kicking myself for not trying it sooner! It used to be a rare treat when I cooked a good steak. Since reverse sear, they have ALL been delicious. ALL. OF. THEM!!!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Not an expert here by any means, but I've tried various methods for steak, and caveman has been the best by far.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • GrillSgt
    Options
    Caveman can finish any of the methods discussed. 
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    I tried caveman once or twice several years back. Don't really remember it, just that I wasn't impressed. Mostly because I had to pull off the lump that had stuck to the meat before I could eat. 

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• DoubleEgger
    Options
    I tried caveman once or twice several years back. Don't really remember it, just that I wasn't impressed. Mostly because I had to pull off the lump that had stuck to the meat before I could eat. 
    You have to make sure all of the lump is red hot. The grey pieces are the ones that stick. 
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    You have to make sure all of the lump is red hot. The grey pieces are the ones that stick. 
    Thanks. That must be what I did wrong. Been too long and I really don't remember what I did, just that they stuck. Funny, I don't even remember if the steak was good. Probably not - until reverse sear, my steaks always sucked.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Hey John, come on up, I will show you what the perfect steak looks like.
    Great post.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    The thing for sous vide, or for me last night saused vide.. Is that if all i have on hand are frozen steaks and the boys want steak, i can prep an entire meal in under an hour.. Or, if im making 10 or more steaks the sv maintains perfect temperature until right before they get on the grill.  Momma likes this because then i only have to tend our investment in red meat for less than 10 mins at grill and i get to greet guests, make them cocktails, etc.   

Last nite i got  mm loaded with fuel, light then come in and start noodle roni and a veggie like broccoli in DO with garlic parm,  evoo, then i get sv set up at 119F amd put the bags of meat in for 3r mins.   Actual grill time is 6 mins.   90 secs, rotate, 90 secs, flip, 90 secs, rotate, 90 secs..rest meat off grill for 10 mins.   Cross hatch pattern char, seared fat edge and then a perfect pink red edge to edge.    I did use CI grid  and got the mm up to 700.   Flames shot up almost immediately so i closed bottom vent and kept mm closed until dach rotate and flip.

Id have probably never ventured into sous vide had it not been for the knowledge shared on this site so thanks bge nation!   

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I actually read the article now, and think i will pass. And yeah, the winning method looks about 50% medium and 50% medium rare (at best).  Too lazy to fire up an egg for mere minutes of cook time.

My current thinking is that I'll SV and hold steaks if cooking for a crowd (have done this once). Otherwise, caveman FTW. 

I cook steaks 2-3 times a year though, so I'm not the one to listen to. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • GrillSgt
    Options
    Sympatico bro.