Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newbie with used large egg

Hi, thanks for having me.  I just got a 15 yo large egg. Not taken care of too well. How do i clean it before cooking on it? Not sure its ever been cleaned.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Search for "clean burn"  essentially an extended high temp cook for the sole purpose of turning gunk into ash.  
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,427
    I agree with Jethro there.  600 degrees should be good for 30-45 minutes.  Once cool, use a wadded up ball of aluminum foil to scrub down anything left on the dome.
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Agree that 600º is hot enough to burn off the organics, but it may need more time.  No telling from here how much build up is in that 15 year old egg.  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Pics would help here. And welcome. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,749
    Post a pick before a clean burn ....dirty to,you may be normal to some
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    I never plan to clean mine but sometimes if I have low lump I let it burn out. It might get to 600 or 500. Seems to do ok.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    if i did not know the history of it i would probably start with temps under 300  just to get any moisture out of it. 15 years old and it probably has the porcelain coated grids, would probably upgrade that to a new stainless one if the porcelin is cracking. pics would help, i dont do a high temp burn unless theres really heavy flaking coming off the dome, light flaking can just be wiped off with a tinfoil ball. that all being said, i would be cooking on it right now
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • If you ever do a high temp burn I would suggest that after the burn, let the egg cool down before lifting the dome. The bands stretch a bit, and the dome may fall out. Also, I believe that is when most of the misalignment of the bands happen, at least with the old style bands.
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Agreed on all tips (clean burn, tighten bands).

One additional tip - You will have a clean, 600F egg after the burn.  I would throw on some steaks/burgers to reward yourself for that hour of hard work (which was really 5 minutes of filling/lighting the egg and 55 minutes of waiting).

You deserve it (and the beer that goes with it).
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,726
    Welcome aboard!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Make sure it's BGE and not a clay kamado. Otherwise a clean burn could be  disastrous. I am not a fan of clean burns and see no reason other than looks. I've never read on this forum " I was doing a low and slow and heard a loud crack" but I have read posts when people have heard it doing a clean burn.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    edited February 2018
    td66snrf said:
    Make sure it's BGE and not a clay kamado. Otherwise a clean burn could be  disastrous. I am not a fan of clean burns and see no reason other than looks. I've never read on this forum " I was doing a low and slow and heard a loud crack" but I have read posts when people have heard it doing a clean burn.
    one low and slow and one 325 degree turkey cook here. turkey cook sounded like a shotgun, low and slow caught the deck on fire. no real rhyme or reason, bge did 1200 degree dome temps and then tossed water in with no damage testing these. im more worried tis egg sat outside without use and moisture got into the ceramics, ive had the whole side flake off with one egg. first burn take it slow if you dont know an eggs history, definitely dont do it on a deck
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Thanks for the info.  So, the fire bowl completely disentigrated, and the fire ring is cooked in at top.  Im assuming i cannot put in a new fire bowl without taking out fire ring.  I tapped on bootom of fire ring, but probably not a good i dea. Trying to figure out what to put in bottom to start a fire so i can hopefully burn out the edge of the fire ring and remove. Also, there was a ton of moisture sitting under the coals.   And now it seems as though the egg itself is cracked. This thing may be done.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    The crack is not death, but you need to be aware of where you are cooking and what it is set in. I would go with a nest and cook on concrete if possible. It may never amount to anything critical.
  • Thanks. Not sure what a nest is.  Egg is over concrete near gas grill.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,024
    Thanks. Not sure what a nest is.  Egg is over concrete near gas grill.

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Ok, it is on a nest, a rusty one, but a nest.  Any ideas to break loose fire ring?
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    .....  I tapped on bootom of fire ring, but probably not a good i dea. ......
    Taking a hammer to ceramic is not the most wise move.  Try using a propane torch to burn away some of the build up between the fire ring and the shell.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    The interior ceramics are beveled so you will obviously need to apply some force in the upward direction. Maybe a rubber mallet. I would work in a circular fashion to avoid pinching it as it works loose. A two person job IMO, one person pulling up and another tapping gently upward in a circular fashion around the piece in question (fire ring). Good luck
  • Got a demo large egg and live in MN.  Question on temp.  How much does humidity affect your temp?  Seems like I am having to keep the bottom screen all the way open and the daisy wheel wide open or even skewed on the top a little to get up to 300 degrees.  Any suggestions.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    Got a demo large egg and live in MN.  Question on temp.  How much does humidity affect your temp?  Seems like I am having to keep the bottom screen all the way open and the daisy wheel wide open or even skewed on the top a little to get up to 300 degrees.  Any suggestions.
    Humidity should not be a factor even for you in MN unless your lump has been floating in water for a week!

To get to a higher temperature I would suggest to remove Miss Daisy and then see what temp you can get to. Besides that you should check the accuracy of your dome thermometer... it may be WAY out of whack!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • BikerBob
    BikerBob Posts: 284
    I once wondered why temp with vents wide open only got to 300....then found out the thermometer had wrapped.
    Cooking on the coast