Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2»

Comments

• JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    Tspud1 said:
    I took a bite of the Apple today.  We’ll see.
    Just sold it.
    Probably made more in 2 days than 3 years in money market or CD
    Did.  In at $152.00, out at $162.55.  Reached my target - didn’t expect to do it in a day.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    my boat has been my best investment so far. 10,000 in in 1992, worth about 24,000 today =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,523
    Bitcoin, Ethereum, Ripple, and Litecoin..

Projected landing of Bitcoin by the end of 2019 is between 20 and 40K..If that indeed does happen, Ethereum will land between 3K and 8K, Litecoin will range between 800 and 1,200 and Ripple will land around the 10 dollar range..

HODL

Bitcoin currently ~8,700, Ethereum ~860, Litecoin ~150, and ripple is about a buck..

Major dollars to be had in this crypto thing..
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    The more things change, the more they stay the same. 
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    billt01 said:
    I have an old friend, 1st kid on his block to have a personal computer, 'cause he built it. Became sysadmin for several financial companies, and eventually a well paid officer. According to him. he made a "killing"last year, so presumably still knows his stuff.

He dabbled a bit w. bitcoin early on, and decided it was dubious, at best. At present, he jokingly has said its mostly useful to prop up the value of coal fired power plants. In other words, changing a useful item, electric current, into a nominal marker of value.

While it is true that the more things change the more they stay the same, so too, "fools rush in where angels..."

Oh, and I wonder what the futures option on crypto currencies are, if anything.
  • billt01
    Imagine if you could get into the ground floor of Google at 80 bucks a share, now imagine there were only a finite amount of google shares. Goggle remains profitable and continues to pay large dividends to those who were able to retain those shares. Now imagine you have several hundred shares, and you have the ability to sell or trade only a fraction of those shares to purchase goods and services, no tax and no bank or broker fees...just two people settling on a price of goods and handling the transaction. The technology of managing contracts and streamlining financial processes are only the tip of the iceberg when speaking to block chain technologies.

Trust me...there is a whole lot more to this and there is solid technology behind these coins. 

Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• billt01
    gdenby said:
    billt01 said:
    I have an old friend, 1st kid on his block to have a personal computer, 'cause he built it. Became sysadmin for several financial companies, and eventually a well paid officer. According to him. he made a "killing"last year, so presumably still knows his stuff.

He dabbled a bit w. bitcoin early on, and decided it was dubious, at best. At present, he jokingly has said its mostly useful to prop up the value of coal fired power plants. In other words, changing a useful item, electric current, into a nominal marker of value.

While it is true that the more things change the more they stay the same, so too, "fools rush in where angels..."

Oh, and I wonder what the futures option on crypto currencies are, if anything.
    and if you think crypto currency is shady, do some investigation into derivative trading...its about the same thing..
    Have:
    Had:

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• Woodchunk
    Woodchunk Posts: 911
    edited February 2018
    Tspud1 said:
    Just sold it.
    Did.  In at $152.00, out at $162.55.  Reached my target - didn’t expect to do it in a day.
    I assume you are a trader and not an investor and I guess you know the price projections which is, medium 196 and high 220. We will be holding ours which was bought right after the split. Even the low price target is now 66$ A share above when we bought in
  • JohnEggGio
    edited February 2018
    Woodchunk said:
    Tspud1 said:
    Just sold it.
    I assume you are a trader and not an investor and I guess you know the price projections which is, medium 196 and high 220. We will be holding ours which was bought right after the split. Even the low price target is now 66$ A share above when we bought in
    No, today I’m an investor, nearly all mutual funds - 401ks, but I do have a self-directed IRA with some idle cash.  I’ve been in and out of Apple a few times - rode it from $96 to $139 within the last 18 months or so.  I just thought at $152 the downside wasn’t a lot “downer”.  Yes, I’ve seen projections that have it in the $190s, but the volatility scares me.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • Woodchunk
    Woodchunk Posts: 911
    edited February 2018
    Woodchunk said:
    Tspud1 said:
    Just sold it.
    No, today I’m an investor, nearly all mutual funds - 401ks, but I do have a self-directed IRA with some idle cash.  I’ve been in and out of Apple a few times - rode it from $96 to $139 within the last 18 months or so.  I just thought at $152 the downside wasn’t a lot “downer”.  Yes, I’ve seen projections that have it in the $190s, but the volatility scares me, and if I can avoid holding during earnings announcements, I prefer to do so.
    Thanks for the feedback. The ticker shows people still buying pushing the price up
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    billt01 said:
    and if you think crypto currency is shady, do some investigation into derivative trading...its about the same thing..
    The term shady was not what my friend or I was suggesting about crypto currencies. As I understood his opinion, based on his early experience, was that there was little if any sure way to keep ownership. He didn't loose much. He figured out how to run his graphics chips for mining when his machines had time. He mentioned that at some point his wallet came up empty, and as there was no profit to be had from trying to find out what happened, marked it down to experience.

If I recall correctly, the Oracle of Omaha called derivatives "weapons of mass financial destruction." For more on that, check out the series that includes "The Black Swan" by Nassim Taleb. His assertion is that derivatives as handled before the Great Recession were doomed to collapse. The standard math behind their trading was crucially flawed.

Myself, I'm long on cutlery. And pickling spices.

• TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    As soon as somebody says trust me...  I'm out.

billt01 said:
    Imagine if you could get into the ground floor of Google at 80 bucks a share, now imagine there were only a finite amount of google shares. Goggle remains profitable and continues to pay large dividends to those who were able to retain those shares. Now imagine you have several hundred shares, and you have the ability to sell or trade only a fraction of those shares to purchase goods and services, no tax and no bank or broker fees...just two people settling on a price of goods and handling the transaction. The technology of managing contracts and streamlining financial processes are only the tip of the iceberg when speaking to block chain technologies.

Trust me...there is a whole lot more to this and there is solid technology behind these coins. 

Signal Mountain, TN
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    billt01 said:

I did get in @ $250.00 50K in shares
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • tferk
    tferk Posts: 34
    Nobody know what or when the next Google or Facebook or apple will appear. Mutual finds are crap, no way to improve basis. Timing the market is a fools errand. Just an opinion
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    edited February 2018
    tferk said:
    Nobody know what or when the next Google or Facebook or apple will appear. Mutual finds are crap, no way to improve basis. Timing the market is a fools errand. Just an opinion
    Mutual funds are long haul investment and safe....its not instant gratification and should be part of the average investors portfolio ...it pays better than a bank and better than your mattress. I keep a large safe amount in mutual and has given me plenty of chunks of $$ to play the market..I never noticed pulling 50k out to put on Google ....IMO If your expectation is right Mutual is good . In 40 years of Mutual funds I pulled the money out onncd and moved it to cash....
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • tferk
    tferk Posts: 34
    Why pay the fee's associated with funds, if you want diversification try the ETF's SPY,QQQ or IWM for stocks, you want some bond exposure then there is TLT. You can improve cost basis and not pay the fee's that "professionals "charge.Just my 2 cents worth
  • JohnEggGio
    Tspud1 said:
    Just sold it.
    Looks like I left a few dollars on the table...😂.  Apple at ~$450+
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Tspud1 said:
    Just sold it.
    Hey don’t feel too bad. I have a current coworker who in the Mid 80s bought shares of Apple stock. Cost her something like $9k at the time. She sold it around 1997 when they were on the verge of bankruptcy. We did the math and with the stock splits, dividends, and value increase her initial $9,000 investment would be worth about $1.5M today.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,871
    Tspud1 said:
    Just sold it.
    Hey don’t feel too bad. I have a current coworker who in the Mid 80s bought shares of Apple stock. Cost her something like $9k at the time. She sold it around 1997 when they were on the verge of bankruptcy. We did the math and with the stock splits, dividends, and value increase her initial $9,000 investment would be worth about $1.5M today.
    Yikes.  I think I’d find a bridge to jump off.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    JohnEggGio said:
    Owch!  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,174
    Don't look back, somethin' might be gainin' on ya.  Words to live by-Leroy "Satchel" Paige.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • billt01
    Tspud1 said:
    Just sold it.
    in the black is in the black..

i have a close friend who purchased 100 bucks @ a 8 pennies a  BITcoin in July 2010..

and sold it @ ~ $250.00 / ea

made just over 300K on that investment..

Today's value / just a bit over 14 million dollars
    Have:
    Had:

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    ahhhhh, as I sip on a Canebrake, thinking back to 23k.  Market is basically flat today.
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • womaus
    womaus Posts: 256
    Tspud1 said:
    Just sold it.
    Yikes.  I think I’d find a bridge to jump off.
    For those of you looking for a reason and a bridge, take a look at this website.
    And remember it was posted last year.

https://thenextweb.com/plugged/2019/06/18/this-is-how-rich-youd-be-if-you-bought-apple-stock-instead-of-its-products/

Back in 2001 I was thinking about dumping about 20K into Apple for my kids education fund. During the time it was effectively $2 - $3 a share. I wavered, instead went for a more traditional investment. Can't say I'm kicking myself right now, but I certainly should be.

It's what it is.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,945
    edited August 2020
    There a few gems we could have all been rich in, but I bet there are just as many times that we dodged a bullet.

If @Botch would be so kind to tell us when he is investing, so we could all wait 2 weeks to jump in after the crash, that would be nice.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    If @Botch would be so kind to tell us when he is investing, so we could all wait 2 weeks to jump in after the crash, that would be nice.
    I could offer a money-back guarantee!   ;)

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure