Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Biscuits

Black Pepper Biscuits from John Currence's Big Bad Breakfast. Frozen butter, frozen lard, cold buttermilk, and working somewhat quickly are key. 

I must be rediscovering my southern roots. They were delicious, warm from the oven, with dollops of honey. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Much thanks to @20stone for turning me on to this book. I'll be hitting it hard. 

• g8golfer
    g8golfer Posts: 1,025
    Looks good. I love me some catheads and gravy. 
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Why do you guys call scones biscuits?
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    =)
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Corn bread, biscuits. What’s next, fried catfish and sweet tea?
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • caliking
    Eoin said:
    Why do you guys call cookies biscuits?

• jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    caliking said:
    Eoin said:
    And fries chips?
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • caliking
    caliking said:
    Eoin said:

BTW, I think it has something to do with hardtack that was a staple on ships in days of yore. Without the weevils now though. 

• 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Those look great. I am glad they turned out. 

When I tried this recipe (and I've tried quite a few (and please don't tell my deceased matrilineal ancestors) I finally spaced them out on a half sheet. I grew up with biscuits stuffed in a round cake pan, and have always done them that way.  While I like the crunchy sides you get with the sheet approach, I am anticipating doing the same in a cake pan (and the soft buttery sides) even more.
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Nice biscuits. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Eoin said:
    These don't have sugar in them. What you call biscuits are cookies over here. My grandmother made great American style biscuits using fresh butter that she also made on the farm. We would split them open and put various things like tomato gravy over them though I liked fruit preserves and fresh cream. So they could do as a dessert or as part of a meal. Many people in my area like to fill them with bacon of sausage f
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited February 2018
    Makes me ashamed of my store bought biscuits this morning but I did fill them with our breakfast sausage so not a total washout. That breakfast sausage is good!
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • caliking
    20stone said:
    Those look great. I am glad they turned out. 

When I tried this recipe (and I've tried quite a few (and please don't tell my deceased matrilineal ancestors) I finally spaced them out on a half sheet. I grew up with biscuits stuffed in a round cake pan, and have always done them that way.  While I like the crunchy sides you get with the sheet approach, I am anticipating doing the same in a cake pan (and the soft buttery sides) even more.
    We'll have to agree to disagree here. I enjoy the mouthfeel of a crispy/crunchy top, bottom,  and side of a biscuit, with a pillowy soft center. 

My ancestors didn't make biscuits, and this is maybe my 3rd attempt at biscuits, but by far the best. That John Currence got it right. 

• td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,821
    Eoin said:
    Why do you pronounce aluminum with 5 syllables instead of 4? Why do call the trunk of a car the boot and and the hood a bonnet?
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • caliking
    edited February 2018
    Makes me ashamed of my store bought biscuits this morning but I did fill them with our breakfast sausage so not a total washout. That breakfast sausage is good!

I'm out of breakfast sausage, which made me sad this morning. Slept in and woke up late at 8:17. Biscuits we're out of the oven by 9:19, so I'm not buying store biscuits again if I can help it .

SV'ed some of our TX beef sausage for lunch, and fried them in a skillet. Made milk gravy with the drippings and had a gloriously messy lunch of a split biscuit, sausage, gravy, and leftover asparagus. So no pics.

Tito's Bloody Marys for morning snack(s).

Life is good. 

• caliking

jeffwit said:
    Corn bread, biscuits. What’s next, fried catfish and sweet tea?

Sun tea is always in the fridge come summer. Not a big enough of  fan of fried fried catfish, so haven't had the urge to drill down and figure it out.

Shrimp and grits are a different matter though, and may be next :)

• caliking
    Some things  I did a bit differently -

roll the dough out initially, and cut into 2 equal sections. Stack on top of each other then roll out to 3/4" thickness again. Cut and stack one more time before cutting the biscuits out.

When cutting, keep the biscuit cutter in a bowl with some flour in it, then press straight down into the dough without twisting. This should maximize the rise of the biscuits when they bake. 

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I haven't made biscuits in 8 years! I know this because these pics are dated Jan 22, 2010. But they sure were good. Might have to have another go.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    @Carolina Q Those are nice biscuits. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Delicious looking biscuits @caliking!  
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • caliking
    Those look fantastic, @Carolina Q

time me to give them another go!

• Carolina Q
    Interesting that yours came out nice and golden brown all over the top. Mine are mottled. Good though. I think mine were from a Better Homes and Gardens recipe.

There used to be a restaurant in Charlotte called The Epicurean. Famous for their biscuits. Light, flaky, melt in your mouth! They closed years ago and the site is now an empty lot. I have tried to find their recipe online, but no luck. I could die a happy man if I could make biscuits like that!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    You SHOULD be ashamed. As for breakfast sausage, Mo is on deck. 
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • caliking
    Interesting that yours came out nice and golden brown all over the top. Mine are mottled. Good though. 
    I will attribute that to the happy piggy lard that went into these. 

They were quite light and flaky. Unlike a couple of past attempts. 

• onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    MMMMMMmmmmmmmmm   Biscuits with butter and real sorghum molasses or honey. 
    Wife recently had a go at homemade english muffins that turned out GREAT. 

• bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Damn you guys, now I want biscuits & gravy. 

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• Carolina Q
    caliking said:
    Interesting that yours came out nice and golden brown all over the top. Mine are mottled. Good though. 

I have never even SEEN lard! Not the real thing anyway, just the green and white boxes at the grocery store. No idea where to buy it and I doubt I'll ever get around to making my own. For biscuits and pie crusts, I've used all butter, all shortening and some of each, but never lard.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• caliking
    caliking said:

I have never even SEEN lard! Not the real thing anyway, just the green and white boxes at the grocery store. No idea where to buy it and I doubt I'll ever get around to making my own. For biscuits and pie crusts, I've used all butter, all shortening and some of each, but never lard.
    That's a sad life :smiley:

Everybody should have at least seen  real lard ONCE in their lives. 

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    Carolina Q said:  
    I can only get the snow-white boxes here too, but I do pour leftover bacon grease into a 28-oz can every morning, and cook with that often; nobody's enchiladas are better than mine, nobody's.  

Don't know that I'd use it for a cherry pie, however.   =)

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Great biscuits are the epitome of a fantastic breakfast.  My Mom used to make the best ones with Bisquick.  Still trying to duplicate them.