Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Leroy's Elevator

Options
I know the title suggests that this is an Off Topic post, but let me explain.

When we moved into New House, we didn't have a  place to store a lot of Big Green Egg items until we could get our New Coop built.  We didn't have room in the house and really needed the space in the garage, the attic was the only place we could store it.  But ..... well, I'll let the video tell how a solution came about.

You might get a kick out of it. Or maybe even some ideas. 

It explains everything. 

https://youtu.be/au2-9RkvC7I 

Now to building New Coop. 

Poulet de "Build It And They Will Come" Printemps 
Formerly Spring "Fill In The Blank" Chicken 
Covington Louisiana USA

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,025
    Options
    Very innovative! Very cool!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Woodchunk
    Options
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Very cool indeed.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • bradleya123
    Options
    BZ!!
    Retired Navy, LBGE
    Pinehurst, NC

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    NICE!

My kids could entertain themselves on that for days!
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Genius. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    Nicely done sir!! =)
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options
    I like it! My own concern is the harbor freight winch. Would like to see it have some type of fail safe in the event the motor gives out or breaks. (That’s the way I think as a lawyer) but otherwise, you might seriously be on to something here for your community. Don’t be surprised if all your neighbors want one
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    slovelad said:
    I like it! My own concern is the harbor freight winch. Would like to see it have some type of fail safe in the event the motor gives out or breaks. (That’s the way I think as a lawyer) but otherwise, you might seriously be on to something here for your community. Don’t be surprised if all your neighbors want one
    Agree. I went for a ride in it last weekend and it's solid as a rock. But might fall like a rock if a gear or cable fail.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,336
    Options
    Great project across the board from concept, to design and then build and install.  Congrats.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    slovelad said:
    I mentioned the safety issues in the credits at the end of the video.  The hoist motor has a long history of performing well as a budget device.  It has an automatic motor lock-up feature should the power fail.  It can't 'free-wheel' out of control.  As for the hoist itself, it is designed to lift 750 pounds with a single cable, or 1300 pounds with the cable looped through a block on the elevator and hooked back to the hoist.  It doubles the capacity but cuts the speed in half.  I doubt that I would ever have a total weight of over 600 pounds, including the elevator itself.  Naysayers are asking to ride it now that it's finished.  It's really nothing new.  Dumbwaiters have been in use for decades if not centuries.  Similar devices powered by men and horses have lifted crops and building materials upward since the stone ages.  All I did was take someone else's ideas and combine them with my own ideas.  And it works like a champ.  I can assure you that I feel much safer on the elevator than on that flimsy pull-down ladder.
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,361
    Options
    I want an elevator now  :|
    Jacksonville FL
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    Well done Leroy.  Looking forward to seeing the new Coop built.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Can that thing launch a rocket??
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Rascal said:
    Can that thing launch a rocket??
    It launched an attic full of boxes and Leroy. No proto types needed.lol
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    slovelad said:
    Maybe you could make up some labels for the danger condition?   =) 

Sorry, low hanging fruit.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • slovelad
    Options
    @tarheelmatt with comments like that you will hit 10k in no time...
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Very cool, Leroy!
    Options
    slovelad said:
    @tarheelmatt with comments like that you will hit 10k in no time...
    It's a neat idea, really, and makes Leroy's like much easier!  

Sorry you're more serious these days though.  Sorry sir.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • slovelad
    Options
    @tarheelmatt just messing with you. On a serious note, I will do just about anything for money... so making stickers is not out of the question lol
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    This is super cool. You should join the garagejournal and add this video. Again, super cool. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Kcheves
    Options

Neat idea.

Q: When you cut the attic joists to create the opening in the garage ceiling, did you tie those back into the adjacent joists?  It was hard to see in the video, but it looked like you might not have.

"Semper ubi sub ubi"

San Diego, CA

• StillH2OEgger
    Options
    That is all kinds of awesome. Great work pulling it off.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    Kcheves said:

Neat idea.

Q: When you cut the attic joists to create the opening in the garage ceiling, did you tie those back into the adjacent joists?  It was hard to see in the video, but it looked like you might not have.

Yes.  It wouldn't work if you didn't cap off the ends of the  cut joists.  The plate across the joist ends was actually doubled for strength.  I should never see a crack in the ceiling due to sagging.  All the weight going on the elevator is actually supported by the hoist cable.  The hoist frame itself is built from the floor up to maximize the support.  The tracks are really nothing but 'guides' to keep the elevator 'on track.'  When you think about the process from start to finish, it's simple, makes good sense and can't help but work when installed properly.  Whoever came up with the original idea to use these basic materials was the original genius.  The rest of us just built on his (or her) idea.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    That is a great idea, nice work.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Kcheves
    Options

Sounds solid.  I assumed you had, I just couldn't tell.

"Semper ubi sub ubi"

San Diego, CA

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Man it's so cool to see you all in the new place! Awesome video of an elevator project that borders on genius. So happy for y'all. Cheers!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Surveyor_Egg
    Options
    Nice build. 

------

1 Large BGE

Boston, MA

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,759
    Options
    Those things have their ups and downs =)
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    Those things have their ups and downs =)
    There's a way to make 'em go sideways too.  Just mount the hoist on a rail.  Once the load is lifted up, it can now be moved to the side for placement.  I'm not sure I can make mine do that without really complicating my life. LOL