Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Leroy's Elevator

Options
2»

Comments

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    It's amazing how many ways there are of using this idea.  I just received this one found on Pinterest.  I could easily see "stacking" as yet another way of dealing with a space issue in your garage.  Like this for example:

Perhaps one of you bikers out there can build one and share it here.

Spring "There's Never A Shortage Of Ideas" Chicken

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    Sweet setup.
    I had a family friend who built a passenger elevator in his home using an electric hoist. It worked perfectly and utilized switches to stop it in the proper position, it was an engineering marvel. It really looked and functioned like it was built by an elevator company.
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    GregW said:
    Sweet setup.
    I had a family friend who built a passenger elevator in his home using an electric hoist. It worked perfectly and utilized switches to stop it in the proper position, it was an engineering marvel. It really looked and functioned like it was built by an elevator company.
    Thanks.

Actually, that was what I set out to do.  But I realized that a full-blown elevator was both beyond my pay-grade and my needs.  If anything, it would not handle some of the large boxes of Christmas decorations we have.  So this one was perfect. 

But I seriously looked into using garage door opener technology.  It has limiters as to precisely where to stop, safety features, and a cordless remote control. 

Mine has safety features, but the remote control is tethered to the hoist motor.  In fact, I had to splice in more control cord to make it long enough to work for me. 

Plus, the hand-held control is equipped with a momentary switch, meaning that it must be pressed the entire time the hoist it lifting or lowering.  A friend in the industrial electrical field said the corded remote is probably a desired safety feature for typical applications of the hoist.  My application is not exactly like most applications.  It's fine.  I can live with it.

My budget had to be taken into account as well.  I suppose I could have paid someone to build an automatic elevator, but this meets my original needs and more. 
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    Your idea is genius and well engineered. My concern would be would be in violation of  UBC, UFC and NFPA. You cannot have any air gap into your attic from your garage. You might want to look into intumescent seals. It would be horrible if you had a fire and your insurance wouldn't cover it. You might want to call the local FD which is your local AHJ (authority having jurisdiction ) and get their blessing then you're good to go.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    td66snrf said:
    Your idea is genius and well engineered. My concern would be would be in violation of  UBC, UFC and NFPA. You cannot have any air gap into your attic from your garage. You might want to look into intumescent seals. It would be horrible if you had a fire and your insurance wouldn't cover it. You might want to call the local FD which is your local AHJ (authority having jurisdiction ) and get their blessing then you're good to go.
    Air gap in this is no greater than any standard, pull down stairs, installed in most garages.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    td66snrf said:
    Air gap in this is no greater than any standard, pull down stairs, installed in most garages.
    "genius and well engineered"  I'm blushing here...  There's still a slight gap, but I'm working on it.  But Photo Egg, you are correct, the pull-down attic stairs, although equipped with a gasket, still has some slack. It's one of the reasons I refer to them as being 'flimsy.'  They are only 3 months old!   They may meet 'code' but they sure don't maintain their shape well under repeated use.  I also believe the recessed lights in the ceiling have vent holes into the attic.  I'm just looking for the right material to seal off the elevator hole.  I want it to work and keep on working.  Yes, just like the elevator.
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    edited February 2018
    Options
    @Spring Chicken Send @RRP a PM and see if he has a seal or gasket for it! :rofl:
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    Hotch said:
    @Spring Chicken Send @RRP a PM and see if he has a seal or gasket for it! :rofl:
    Now you're cookn'... LOL  At least mine won't need to withstand 'turbo' temperatures...

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    td66snrf said:
    "genius and well engineered"  I'm blushing here...  There's still a slight gap, but I'm working on it.  But Photo Egg, you are correct, the pull-down attic stairs, although equipped with a gasket, still has some slack. It's one of the reasons I refer to them as being 'flimsy.'  They are only 3 months old!   They may meet 'code' but they sure don't maintain their shape well under repeated use.  I also believe the recessed lights in the ceiling have vent holes into the attic.  I'm just looking for the right material to seal off the elevator hole.  I want it to work and keep on working.  Yes, just like the elevator.
    How about a piece of that rubber "gasket" that goes on the bottom of a garage door? I imagine you would have to cut it in half length-wise. 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    That was one of the first things we considered, but it isn't designed to do what needs doing.  Thanks anyway.

Spring "The Space Between 'A' and 'B' Is The Real Problem" Chicken

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Brilliant Leroy!  I'd love this in my own home.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    Brilliant Leroy!  I'd love this in my own home.
    Thanks.  We lived in our house in Texas for 29 years, and every time I had to climb the pull-down ladder in the garage, I started out and ended up cuss'n it.  And then one day I fell from it.  Now I not only cuss them, I avoid them like the plague.  I'd hate to be eulogized with, "He died in a fall from a cheap-ass pull-down ladder."  I found a better way to die - Old age.