Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken Wings with Gochujang, Ginger and Garlic

Theophan
Theophan Posts: 2,654
I tried a new recipe for chicken wings this evening, and it was really good!  For some reason, probably too many cooks without taking out the lump, so maybe too many small pieces choking the airflow, I never got the dome temp much above 300°, and it was 250°-275° most of the cook, but still, eventually, they were really good!  Some were a bit overcooked, and I seem to like them the best.  Some were cooked just right for the meat, were juicy and tasty, but the skin was a little rubbery on those.  I tried the baking powder/corn starch thing, but not sure it made any difference.  I only did that right before the cook, though.

Recipe was from Mark Bittman in the NY Times.  I just cooked them indirect, no turning, and just brushed the sauce on toward the end, let it set 10 minutes, brushed it on again, let it set for 10 more, ate 'em up.

3 pounds of chicken wings

¼ cup soy sauce

¼ cup gochujang (Korean red chile paste) or sriracha

2 tablespoons rice vinegar

2 tablespoons honey

1 tablespoon sesame oil

2 tablespoons minced garlic

1 tablespoon minced ginger

DIRECTIONS:

Cut 3 pounds of chicken wings into three sections; save the wing tips for stock. Toss the wings with a little neutral oil to keep them from sticking.

Heat a charcoal or gas grill; the fire should be moderately hot and the rack 4 to 6 inches from the heat. Leave one side of the grill cooler for indirect cooking.

Put the wings on the cool side of the grill. Cover the grill and cook, checking and turning once or twice, until most of the fat has been rendered, and the wings are cooked through, 15 to 20 minutes.

While the wings cook, combine 1/4 cup soy sauce, 1/4 cup Korean red chili paste or sriracha, 2 tablespoons rice vinegar, 2 tablespoons honey, 1 tablespoon sesame oil, 2 tablespoons minced garlic and 1 tablespoon minced ginger in a large bowl.

When the wings are cooked, add them to the bowl with the sauce, and toss to coat. Now put the wings on the hot part of the grill, and cook, uncovered, turning as necessary, until they’re nicely browned on both sides.

Comments

• Wow those look amazing. Sounds like a great wing sauce to try too. Thanks for sharing. 
    Raleigh, NC

LBGE
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Wonderful cook brother!  Beautiful wings.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Those wings look great!
    Stillwater, MN
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Yeah, I MIGHT eat those :)

They look good from here. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 679
    Odd that they say gochujang or siracha. Seems like two different flavors to me.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    You truly are a servant to all, giving us recipes like this.
    Excellent post, delicious looking cook. I can't wait to try these for our children in two weeks, when home from college.
    Thank you for posting
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Theophan
    Thanks everybody for the kind words!  I'm not the expert many of you are, but I love cooking on my Big Green Eggs!  :)
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    I always enjoy threads that require me to open a dictionary first. The wings look delicious my friend.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • I bet I’ve taken a look at these 4 times. Look incredible.  I had to scrap a recipe that called for gochujang two weeks ago and it has been sitting in my pantry. 

Looks like I will be trying these next week!!

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    Oh, wow. I would slam that
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    How sticky are those?
    NOLA
  • Theophan
    buzd504 said:
    How sticky are those?
    Not very.  I was a little surprised that they weren't as sweet as I had expected.  Just a little sweetness, so, depending on how long you continue to smoke them after saucing, the sauce could either be rather dry or pretty moist, but I didn't find them very sticky.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Theophan said:
    buzd504 said:
    How sticky are those?
    Not very.  I was a little surprised that they weren't as sweet as I had expected.  Just a little sweetness, so, depending on how long you continue to smoke them after saucing, the sauce could either be rather dry or pretty moist, but I didn't find them very sticky.

Good info, thanks!
    NOLA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Great recipe and outcome.  Congrats and thanks for the info.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    Anyone living in or visiting Chicago that wants to try the best version of these wings, head over to a restaurant called Great Seas on Lawrence Ave.

• I'll be trying this one.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Those look incredible!  Nice job.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    I love gochachang! Great cook! Now I know what I'm cooking this weekend!
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Those wings look awesome  :o:o:o:o. How would you rate the spice heat level? 
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • Fantastic looking wings! Will definitely need to try that 
  • Theophan
    Impossible to say, because different versions of gochujang can have different heat levels.  I think some of them have heat ratings on the label.  I've only tried a few brands, and they all seemed a little hot, but not very hot, to me.  I honestly don't know whether there are gochujangs commercially available that are way hot.  My best answer is "a little spicy, but not really hot."
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Theophan said:
    Impossible to say, because different versions of gochujang can have different heat levels.  I think some of them have heat ratings on the label.  I've only tried a few brands, and they all seemed a little hot, but not very hot, to me.  I honestly don't know whether there are gochujangs commercially available that are way hot.  My best answer is "a little spicy, but not really hot."
    Thx
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    edited February 2018
    They look great! I want to try smoking then frying wings I’ve heard it’s a killer combo 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Theophan said:
    I tried a new recipe for chicken wings this evening, and it was really good!  For some reason, probably too many cooks without taking out the lump, so maybe too many small pieces choking the airflow, I never got the dome temp much above 300°, and it was 250°-275° most of the cook, but still, eventually, they were really good!  Some were a bit overcooked, and I seem to like them the best.  Some were cooked just right for the meat, were juicy and tasty, but the skin was a little rubbery on those.  I tried the baking powder/corn starch thing, but not sure it made any difference.  I only did that right before the cook, though.

Recipe was from Mark Bittman in the NY Times.  I just cooked them indirect, no turning, and just brushed the sauce on toward the end, let it set 10 minutes, brushed it on again, let it set for 10 more, ate 'em up.

3 pounds of chicken wings

¼ cup soy sauce

¼ cup gochujang (Korean red chile paste) or sriracha

2 tablespoons rice vinegar

2 tablespoons honey

1 tablespoon sesame oil

2 tablespoons minced garlic

1 tablespoon minced ginger

DIRECTIONS:

Cut 3 pounds of chicken wings into three sections; save the wing tips for stock. Toss the wings with a little neutral oil to keep them from sticking.

Heat a charcoal or gas grill; the fire should be moderately hot and the rack 4 to 6 inches from the heat. Leave one side of the grill cooler for indirect cooking.

Put the wings on the cool side of the grill. Cover the grill and cook, checking and turning once or twice, until most of the fat has been rendered, and the wings are cooked through, 15 to 20 minutes.

While the wings cook, combine 1/4 cup soy sauce, 1/4 cup Korean red chili paste or sriracha, 2 tablespoons rice vinegar, 2 tablespoons honey, 1 tablespoon sesame oil, 2 tablespoons minced garlic and 1 tablespoon minced ginger in a large bowl.

When the wings are cooked, add them to the bowl with the sauce, and toss to coat. Now put the wings on the hot part of the grill, and cook, uncovered, turning as necessary, until they’re nicely browned on both sides.

Those are Gawjus! Those ingredients are killa! 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    @northGAcock, can you buy those ingredients in one jar on the Internet?  Asking an expert.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    bgebrent said:
    @northGAcock, can you buy those ingredients in one jar on the Internet?  Asking an expert.
    Chinatown. Go to the 3rd store with ducks hanging in the window. Ask for key to the customer restroom. Last stall....open the Chit paper holder. You will find much joy grasshopper Brent. Let Nicole apply it for best results. =)
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,265
    Is gochujang the same thing some people call korean ketchup typically served in a red bottle at a restaurant. 
    Mountain View, CA
  • "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Gochujang rocks and it looks like these wings do Too!  Nicely done!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Theophan
    dmourati said:
    Is gochujang the same thing some people call korean ketchup typically served in a red bottle at a restaurant. 
    No.  I have never eaten in a Korean restaurant, don't know what that stuff might be, but gochujang isn't pourable.  It's a thick paste, maybe a little bit similar in thickness to tomato paste, maybe even a little thicker.  There's no way you could put it in a bottle and pour it or even squirt it out.  And as someone else said, it tastes very different from Sriracha.  I don't have Asian stores in my area that I'm aware of, have bought it from Amazon a few times, but I've noticed that even my regular grocery stores, or one or two of them, anyway, are now carrying it.  The bottles are very different looking than the tubs I've gotten from Amazon, and I haven't tried them, but I assume they're very similar.