Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: not your everyday Kamado

Options
A friend sent this pic to me all the way from a desert camp just outside Marrakesh:

Thought folks here might dig it.
"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike

Comments

• SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,898
    Options
    I assume the stones keep the goats from knocking the cooker over?
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Very cool. Is there an occluder for the front or as it appears, it’s more like a chimney. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    SamIAm2 said:
    I assume the stones keep the goats from knocking the cooker over?
    Someone over there has probably read the Devastated thread.
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    I hear that camel dung is better than cowboy lump.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I’m sure heavyG has cooked in one like it.  Maybe he’ll chime in.   

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Ouch...
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    Just sayin...

analyze adapt overcome

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,086
    Options
    Its got to lids and no base!
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Ouch...
    Now I want to know the genesis of this remark.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    And your just here to stir the ****, eh?

analyze adapt overcome

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    JFC dudes, this was supposed to be a gee-whiz that is cool type thread and not a my donkey is bigger type deal.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    JFC dudes, this was supposed to be a gee-whiz that is cool type thread and not a my donkey is bigger type deal.
    :punch:
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Image result for clerks donkey show gif
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Sorry dude!!   I tried to keep it non political but real.  

analyze adapt overcome

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    From the pic, it seems as if the bottom and top pieces are identical. Which is genius. Make one mold to cast the pieces, instead of different ones for lids and bases. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Yeah but does it have a Mini Max version? 

Seriously, pretty cool post. Thank you John for sharing. 
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    caliking said:
    From the pic, it seems as if the bottom and top pieces are identical. Which is genius. Make one mold to cast the pieces, instead of different ones for lids and bases. 
    This has to be smokeware's brainchild.  Now you have to buy a smokeware product for air intake and exhaust.  
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Pizza version
    Greensboro, NC
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Cool.....No smokware cap???? 
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Very creative.  Wonder the warranty  ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • kweitz
    kweitz Posts: 305
    Options
    Very, very cool indeed!

Charles Town, West-by-God Virginia

Sazco large Casa-Q

Large BGE

• Retro
    Retro Posts: 88
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Yeah. I've cooked on one before. It was during the Paris-Dakar rally of 1983 or 1984 (I'm old now and the memory is a little hazy). It was right at the start of the 2nd stage in El Golea (that's in Algeria which neighbors Morocco but there is a lot of cross cultural sharing) and as a member of the logistical support crew for the Subaru team it was my turn to cook breakfast.

Gérard Salesses (team co-pilot) loved the lamb köfte I had made a few times during some of the earlier practice runs a few weeks prior so he had asked that be part of the start of the day. I had marinated the minced lamb  and made up some muhammara the night before. Junichi Maeda (aka "Jim") one of the Subaru factory mechanics made a fresh yogurt sauce and some tabbouleh that morning.

Our team griddles were all being used for eggs and some veggies and as they were gas powered anyway I wanted a wood fire for the köfte. I noticed one of the other teams had a few of these weird looking clay grills which looked like the bell ends of an ESVC sewer pipe. Me and Jim borrowed one of them and carted it the hundred metres back to our camp along with a bundle of the sticks they had bought from a local merchant (don't know what kind of wood they were - olivewood maybe?).

Didn't take long for the fire to  burn down to some rather fragrant embers and the köfte was ready to be put on and...

Ahhh...what does it matter - I'm not posting any pix so obviously it never happened.

By the way, that type of grill was called, by the locals, a "bĭtḕeme" which is pronounced - BITE ME. :)

BUT--did you get to visit Madame Dominics in Ouargla? Ouargla had some of the best date trees in North Africa. Fresh dates stuffed with goat cheese and was he down with an ice cold Boga Cola was a treat of the desert.

• Retro
    Options
    Should have been WASHED DOWN-my typing sucks.

• Retro
    edited January 2018
    Options
    If you had ventured east (if I remember right)and visited Hassi Messaoud we would have welcomed you with Sadiki--fresh from the still.
  • Retro
    Options
    The locals nicknamed hooch from the still Sadiki-which meant ''My Friend'' 
  • Possumtrot
    Options
    Sadiki is definitely NOT your friend - at least what we had in KSA. Spent three yrs in Riyadh and had in it many times. Came in water bottles with spring water labels.  My vision is just now recovering but my brain still suffers.  Only thing worse was the wine we made. Finally didn’t drink alcohol for the last year and half we were there. 
    Near Music City in the Boro
    LBGE, Joe,Jr
    Free is better than cheap
    If it's worth telling, it's worth exaggerating

• Retro
    Options
    Back then we couldn't buy it so we made it. 
    Halliburton teamed up with a down hole wire line company called Otis Wire Line.
    Otis wire line had all the parts needed to build a still in their warehouse system. All you had to know was the secret part numbers and you were set.
    Microfiche the parts--stick them in the next shipment and your still was ready to build anywhere in the world in about a months time that it took for it to get there.
    In my case I believe Sadiki truly was my friend. I was 20 years old back then and ruff-tuff oilfield trash. I got REALLY lit up on Sadiki one night -- we were drinking it out of those old Thick plastic reusable cups. It actually leeched the taste of that plastic into the drink. I was sick for a week, and still can't stand the smell of alchahol.

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Gee whiz John that sure is neato!  That would sure be swell grilling out on a Saturday with the fellas.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Markarm4119
    Options
    Is the BITE ME Fest in Tunisia or Algeria this year ? Are they serving stuffed camel toes again ?
    LBGE, and just enough knowledge and gadgets to be dangerous .
    Buford,Ga.