Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What's the Perfect 2 Egg Combo?

If you could have 2 eggs what sizes would they be?  Right now I have Large and a MM.  I'm thinking of giving my Large to my dad and getting a XL.  I'm cooking for a family of 5.  9 y/o, 6 y/o and 1 y/o.  Surely their appetites are going to grow.  My reasoning is 50% of my cooks could be done on the MM, burgers, hot dogs, steaks, etc.  But I believe it would be nice to have the room the XL has for ribs, butts, briskets, etc.  My large is deck out with the AR and it has really helped with the room on the Large.  I would surely get the AR and woo as well for the XL.  So what do you guys say, what would be your 2?  Thanks!
Large Egg
SS Smokeware Cap
CGS Adjustable Rig
CGS Spider
Flame Boss 200
Mini Max
CGS Mini Max Woo

Comments

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    edited January 2018

Medium and Large gets my vote, although Medium and XL would also be hard to beat if you don't have an offset or cabinet smoker.
    Phoenix 
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    Large & small

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• r8rs4lf
    r8rs4lf Posts: 317
    I have a medium and a MM that are perfect for my needs. I used to have an XL and never used it. Just too much real estate so I got rid of it.
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932

Man, I am torn on this one.

I have an XL and want a MM something bad.  But I have a really hard time justifying paying MM prices for weeknight cooks, when a cheap weber would serve the same purpose at a fraction of the price.

I think my ideal combo is my XL paired with a M.  Still small enough for easy, weeknight cooks, but just large enough to handle some serious duty when required. 

At least, that's how I think about it...

XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Since you have a large, I will say large and medium. The medium gets the call for many of our cooks. Up and running in no time with weed torch and Rockwood combo.

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    I have an XL, and love it. Then again, we entertain a lot too. I liked the food so much off the XL, which was my first, I decided to get the MM for tailgating and camping. I have been very happy with this combination. I use them both, simultaneously, frequently, on our cooks, and my next, likely my last, will be a medium, in the spring. I will agree with @tarheelmatt a medium is a very nice addition for a statioary cooker addition for a good combo.
    The MM rocks, and I love mine for travel, however, the medium is an awesome cooker.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    If it were me and you don’t care about portability or taking an egg anywhere my vote would be for two larges
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Sunny side up with grits, pepper bacon and a side of toast (white bread). 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • buzzvol
    buzzvol Posts: 534
    Order over medium raisin.
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Weird how this happens, there's two of these threads going on.  Might be more info over at this thread too.  

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1211212/medium-or-mini-to-go-with-my-large-or-wait-for-another-large#latest
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    boatcapt said: lo
    If you could have 2 eggs what sizes would they be?  Right now I have Large and a MM.  I'm thinking of giving my Large to my dad and getting a XL.  I'm cooking for a family of 5.  9 y/o, 6 y/o and 1 y/o.  Surely their appetites are going to grow.  My reasoning is 50% of my cooks could be done on the MM, burgers, hot dogs, steaks, etc.  But I believe it would be nice to have the room the XL has for ribs, butts, briskets, etc.  My large is deck out with the AR and it has really helped with the room on the Large.  I would surely get the AR and woo as well for the XL.  So what do you guys say, what would be your 2?  Thanks!
    Id say XL and MM.   Although the L is great to have with mm.  The xl is used for whole briskys, cgs grid system for larger rib cooks and smoking lotsa wings or sausage.   I do use the mm and L a lot more than XL.  BUT,  the xl is great with adj rig and two shelves if i need to make two whole packers and two shoulders for a party, OR if i make 12 -15 racks of ribs....  super efficient, great capacity, and xl cranks it out.  Steak amd scallops tonite and the MM will be the weapon of choice....

But go for it, get the xl, keep MM and make the old mans day by giving him the L...
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    johnnyp said:

I have an XL and want a MM something bad.  But I have a really hard time justifying paying MM prices for weeknight cooks, when a cheap weber would serve the same purpose at a fraction of the price.

I think my ideal combo is my XL paired with a M.  Still small enough for easy, weeknight cooks, but just large enough to handle some serious duty when required. 

You're looking at this the wrong way.  Using the MMX for smaller weeknight cooks saves on lump and on time getting to temperature.  It saves you money.

XL + MMX here.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Make it 2 large.....

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • northGAcock
    buzzvol said:
    Order over medium raisin.
    LOl....no way....got to have a runny eggs and soppin up bread. Raisin toast and soppin up.....not good.

• northGAcock
    Make it 2 large.....
    Its fun spending other peoples money isn't. Happy New Year brother.

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Make it 2 large.....
    You know it!
    Happy New Year to you as well.  I'm finally dragging myself out of the post Championship depression :bawling:

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    boatcapt said:
    1) Welcome aboard.
    2) Given where you are starting from I think your logic is perfect.

Go with that plan and don't look back.  The XL is great.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Eoin said:
    johnnyp said:

You're looking at this the wrong way.  Using the MMX for smaller weeknight cooks saves on lump and on time getting to temperature.  It saves you money.

XL + MMX here.

Haha! that's obviously how I should sell it to the wife. 

Now to calculate the charcoal differential break-even point!  What do you think?  At 10 years, do you take the over or the under?

XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    I have an XL and a 22" Weber Smokey Mountain for overflow when I need it.  I got the XL to replace my old gas grill and wanted the biggest one they had at the time I got it for when we entertain or do large cooks over night.  There is only three in my immediate family and I thought the XL would be to big, but not really now that I light it with a weed burner cane torch.  I can have it up to over 400 in about 15 minutes now or less.  

Now remember the XL doesn't only cost more, but the accessories cost more as well.  I wish I had some of the accessories you have.  I only have the Smokeware SS cap, homemade second tier grate and Grill Grates. 

I would like either about either the MM or the Medium for my second egg some day.  The large would be a nice gift to your dad and if there are any warranty issues, you could take care of them being that you are still the owner.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    johnnyp said:

XL and a kettle performer  I use my Weber for the week night cooks it has a gas starter to light the coals charcoal bins just give them a shake and fill to the top everything about it is super  convenient easy setup for 2 zone  charcoal storage built in table one touch ash removal costs around 400$ I think a plain kettle is only 100 or so

i like having the different grilling styles available to me

agree 100% with @johnnyp’s comment if I got another egg it would most likely be a medium 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Thomasc18
    Thomasc18 Posts: 197
    I have a medium and just bought the XL a  month ago. Haven't really used the XL. It’s just me and my wife. We do a lot of entertaining so I figure the XL would be perfect. Medium is works for me and her but when I have a group over it doesn’t cut it.  I thought about going with a large but for a few hundred bucks more why not just go with XL and never worry about the room again. That’s how I justified the XL purchase. 
    Madison, AL
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    johnnyp said:
    Eoin said:
    johnnyp said:

XL + MMX here.

Haha! that's obviously how I should sell it to the wife. 

Now to calculate the charcoal differential break-even point!  What do you think?  At 10 years, do you take the over or the under?

Easy win at 10 years. 5 break even. Maybe.
  • northGAcock
    Make it 2 large.....
    You know it!
    Happy New Year to you as well.  I'm finally dragging myself out of the post Championship depression :bawling:
    I completely understand. You guys played well and had a great year. At least you had an opportunity for the pennical.....

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    XL, Medium, and a lightweight Akorn Jr if you need mobility. 
  • If you own two large eggs your accessories will swap back an forth. That said I own a large myself and drool every time I see an XL
  • XL & MM here. No complaints.
  • Skrullb
    Skrullb Posts: 666
    XL, Medium, and a Camp Chef Smoke Vault here. All of my bases are covered. Love the Medium. 
    I'm in Fredericksburg, VA, and I have an XL and a medium. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Perfect 2-egg combo... hmmmm....hmmmm...ummmm.....

Easy over and poached.
    In the interest of transparency, i would point out that i have 2 XL, 1 L and the MM plus a roccbox.   The MM FAR AND AWAY gets the most use at homr and on trips like camping, beach, mountains, etc.   The MM is not an expensive toybas much as its an investment in your hobby that will pay big returns in enjoyment, results, discoveries and satisfaction.

My biggest complaint about the mm is regarding BGE company delivery dates being a moving target.   We hope by memorial day...,we hope by july 4, we hope by labor day, we hope by footbLl tailgate season.....finally the day before thanksgiving i took delivery

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    johnnyp said:

Unless it just HAS to be green you should consider a KJ Jr. A couple years ago I went thru the same exercise and just couldn't bring myself to pay the MM price. Got the KJ Jr. and it is my most used grill since 90+ percent of the time it's just me and my wife.

Next time there is a Costco Roadshow you should check it out. If it just has to be green a rattle can of Krylon will fix that. :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk