Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New job

Options
Isn't it strange how changing from one job to another can put such a change and unknown feeling in your life?

I accepted a new position at a different company to start on the 29th. It feels like a death in the family to leave where I am. My wife and I know that it is the right choice for our family as it has better hours more money and a red seal trade, but it's still so hard to leave. 

Steve

Comments

• kbr718
    kbr718 Posts: 74
    Options
    Congratulations! It's always scary to move, but you need to take risks!
    LBGE Chicago, IL
  • TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    Options
    "Change is good"  Mufasa.  1994.

What's a Red Seal Trade?
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • steel_egg
    steel_egg Posts: 295
    Options
    I’m in a similar situation. Such a strange feeling right now. Almost nobody in the office knows either. 
    Im starting on the 5th. I gave the boss 4 weeks notice to untangle all my duties. 
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options

Smart move, and congrats!

Back in 2007 I was forced out of a job and I was devastated...... But it was the best thing to ever happen for the wife and I. Because of it I got to retire at 55.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,336
    Options
    First of all Congrats! Like @TN_Egger said, change is good.

I walked away from my prior career after 17 years and started down a new path. Best choice I ever made.

You got this
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Good luck!  I hope it proves to be a fresh start for you in a lot of ways.  I think we all need something like that from time to time.

Just one question - what is a "red seal trade" ? 
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296
    Options
    Good luck. It is hard to make changes like that. I was in my last job for nearly 34 years and had accomplished all that I was going to do there. I don’t understand the secrecy though. I did my best to train subordinates to take over my duties before I retired. I also gave them 9 months notice. Changing jobs is a different situation though.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    Good luck. It is hard to make changes like that. I was in my last job for nearly 34 years and had accomplished all that I was going to do there. I don’t understand the secrecy though. I did my best to train subordinates to take over my duties before I retired. I also gave them 9 months notice. Changing jobs is a different situation though.
    pretty sure most businesses dont want someone on the shop floor giving ideas to other employees about better pay, better hours, better opportunities.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Know exactly what you mean, but in a slightly different way. Within a 7 year period the bank I was with and had been the CFO went through 3 acquisitions. I survived the first 2 but not the 3rd huge institution. That made me almost start over in a new world at a lower pay and perks. But you what? Within 3 years I was earning more than the previous jobs! I stayed put for 11 years and was able to retire at age 60. Good luck and I bet you'll be happy in your new position!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    Good luck!  I hope it proves to be a fresh start for you in a lot of ways.  I think we all need something like that from time to time.

Just one question - what is a "red seal trade" ? 
    the trades in canada are more universally founded for qualifications. i can train, test, and qualify procedures and weldors to weld at the seabrook nuclear plant, but if they quit or get fired, they are not qualified to weld on a carnival ride. their qualifications only work thru me. atleast thats my understanding on it
    fukahwee maine

• CanadianAnvil
    Options
    TN_Egger said:
    "Change is good"  Mufasa.  1994.

What's a Red Seal Trade?
    http://www.red-seal.ca/about/pr.4gr.1m-eng.html

• fishlessman
    Options
    RRP said:
    Know exactly what you mean, but in a slightly different way. Within a 7 year period the bank I was with and had been the CFO went through 3 acquisitions. I survived the first 2 but not the 3rd huge institution. That made me almost start over in a new world at a lower pay and perks. But you what? Within 3 years I was earning more than the previous jobs! I stayed put for 11 years and was able to retire at age 60. Good luck and I bet you'll be happy in your new position!
    it was good that you got out when you did, the two banks i deal with now have a turnover rate that ive never seen the likes of before. its unbelievable, i asked last week where the car loan rates were at, 20 minutes later the BANK i was in found out they didnt do car loans anymore :o theres 10 people in there, the one with seniority has maybe 3 months in =)
    fukahwee maine

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options
    Congrats on the career move.  Just live by the words of the late, great Leroy "Satchel" Paige, "Don't look back, somethin' may be gainin' on ya."
    Window of opportunity... 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options
    @fishlessman - That's some mighty high praise and earned skill-set right there.  Congrats!
    Apologize for the partial hi-jack.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Been at my current job 27 years.  Did get a few good raises when they found out (not exactly accidentally) I was looking for greener pastures.  Might as well stay the course, I've learned the ropes and the pay isn't that terrible.

Good luck - changing jobs is the fastest way to make more.
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @fishlessman - That's some mighty high praise and earned skill-set right there.  Congrats!
    Apologize for the partial hi-jack.  
    used to fabricate for them, between the 30 hours to fabricate/weld a part and the 3 months of paperwork to back it up,there was no money in it for a small fabricator.  no paperwork with the carni's and they pay up front =)
    fukahwee maine

• GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    33 years in my job. Never went a day without a job since I first started working at 15. SIL's father was transferred from Texas to Columbus to oversee a large downsizing. Took 3 years. He was then downsized. Best thing that ever happened to him.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    You just need to be happy with what you're doing and the people with whom you work. The rest will work out within reason. Sounds like a reasonable move to me. Hope you meet some great new people.

I always wanted to be a Diesel Fitter, but alas, it was not to be.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Congrats. I've done it twice- once after 15 years and once after the next 8. Love both of those jobs but better opportunities came up. Last time was last March so I'm still in year one of the new gig. Every single time it has made a huge difference in my life- at home and at work. 

I hope you have the same positive outcomes that I have. It's nerve racking for sure but the payoff has always been good for me.

I think you will find that not only will you hang on to what you like about where you are now, but gain a wealth of experience and knowledge by being pushed in your new career.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    It's hard to leave a paying job, even if you know it isn't right for you.
    It's like breaking up with a girl you know you're not going to marry.  You love her, but know there's no future.  Takes courage to move on.  Nice work and congrats on the job change.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • CanadianAnvil
    Options
    Thanks for the kind words everyone. 

I've been an agricultural robotics and service technician for 10 years.
    I've developed great relationships with customers that I see on at least a 4month pm schedule. Those relationships and with my fellow colleagues are what I'm going to miss. I'm.moving to a company that does more commercial and industrial jobs and I don't know if  there is that kind of connections are developed. 
    It's more money to start and less hours/on call, with the potential for alot more money/training....
    It's just a strange feeling to be having and I haven't really felt like this before. 

Steve

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    edited January 2018
    Options
    April of last year I left a company I had been with in various roles for 7 years. Ended up there via an acquisition of a company I had been with for 4 years, so 11 years all in. And it had been a great career leap from where I was before. Its been a great move for me, I enjoy what I'm doing (kind of surprised they pay me to do what I do), and I just received a call this evening from my boss letting me know I was getting an unexpected raise. It was a tough decision to leave what I knew, but it was a good one. Hope it is for you as well.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • bdalqasmal
    Options
    Stumbled upon your post and couldn't help but wonder how things have been since your job transition. I hope the new gig has been treating you well and that the change brought all the positives you were looking for. Fingers crossed you haven't regretted the move! Change can be a wild ride, but it often opens doors we didn't even know were there. Wishing you continued success and hoping it's been a useful experience overall.

• dixocid
    Options
    Even though this post is a bit old, I wanted to chime in because I'm going through a similar job transition myself. It's never easy, right? But sometimes, the change brings about more than we could imagine.

• dixocid
    Options
    dixocid said:
    Even though this post is a bit old, I wanted to chime in because I'm going through a similar job transition myself. It's never easy, right? But sometimes, the change brings about more than we could imagine.

I recently switched to a new position in the medical field and found a fantastic opportunity as a dental assistant, thanks to https://www.exploremedicalcareers.com/. It's been a challenging but incredibly rewarding journey, and I'm thrilled with the salary and career prospects this job provides.

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    Options
    dixocid said:
    dixocid said:

I recently switched to a new position in the medical field and found a fantastic opportunity as a dental assistant, thanks to https://www.exploremedicalcareers.com/. It's been a challenging but incredibly rewarding journey, and I'm thrilled with the salary and career prospects this job provides.

Hey hey... a new bot has entered the chat.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    dixocid said:
    dixocid said:

Hey hey... a new bot has entered the chat.

These things always surprise me, because it's not like the process to set up an account here is a simple one.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike