Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newbie question

Options
I have a large which I am loving and using multiple times a week. My question is should I be removing charcoal at any point? I am on third bag and I just keep stirring and adding new and rearranging. Have cleaned out ash two times. No problems with airflow just want to know "best" practices to become even better! Also I work at a hardware store and we sell eggs so people are starting to ask me questions because they know I have one. So far so good all questions I was comfortable answering! Thanks for time and.consideration

Comments

• 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    Nope. Burn the charcoal til its gone (unless it is tiny and plugging the holes in the fire gate).

Emptying the ash occasionally is necessary, and once in a blue moon, pulling all the guts out to get all the ash out is a pretty good idea, too). 

Welcone to the forum, and make sure to throw up some pics of your cooks. 
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • etherdome
    etherdome Posts: 471
    edited December 2017
    Options
    No. You are doing perfectly. My only warning  to you would be to make sure the air holes in fire box are patent. At least stir the lump around and check for that. Small pieces of lump can get in and obstruct  some of those holes, making for a frustrating cook. Only happened  to me once but it was after an extended period without ever emptying the egg 
    Upstate SC
    Large BGE,  Blackstone, Weber genesis , Weber charcoal classic
  • BeerMike
    BeerMike Posts: 317
    Options
    If you are going to do a long cook like a 12-14 hour pork butt, I recommend removing all the old charcoal and use new large pieces of charcoal.  I pack my BGE with the largest pieces of charcoal I can find in the bag along with chunks of smoking wood.  I find the small, used pieces of charcoal burn up too fast to keep the fire going for long cooks and as stated above, can block airflow.  Cheers and welcome to the community.
    I think it's time for another beer!
    BGEing since 2003
    2 Large BGEs 
    Sold small BGE, 3rd and 4th large BGEs and XL BGE (at wife's "request"....sad face)
    Living the dream in Wisconsin
  • cindyflo
    Options
    Thanks. Haven't done a low and slow (that's next have a pork shoulder already bought) or a pizza. Think will wait until longer daylight to try that.
  • BeerMike
    BeerMike Posts: 317
    Options
    Good luck and keep asking the questions.  Elder Ward has a great article on butts and charcoal. He walks you through how to load your charcoal so as to not have to worry about your fire burning out for a long, low and slow cook.  I think you can find this at http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm  

I think it's time for another beer!
    BGEing since 2003
    2 Large BGEs 
    Sold small BGE, 3rd and 4th large BGEs and XL BGE (at wife's "request"....sad face)
    Living the dream in Wisconsin
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun.  You are off to a great start.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    Options
    Welcome to the good side of the universe.  Sounds like you are doing it right.  It never hurts to remove the guts and clean the ash before a marathon cook like a brisket.  Enjoy!!
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I rarely do that stuff. Don't remember the last time I even looked at the little holes in the firebox, much less cleaned em out. Almost never take the guts out of the egg and clean behind there. Never remove old lump and start with fresh either. ALWAYS stir old and add more if needed. No sorting or "placing" lump pieces. Just stir, dump more in and light. I've never had a fire go out or run out of lump mid cook. No need to over-analyze this. It's just a grill. =)

Welcome to the forum! Enjoy!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• StillH2OEgger
    Options
    Good work. I know when I've talked to dealers/sales people you can tell within 20 seconds which ones have ever actually used a ceramic cooker vs. read the brochure.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Welcome, you are off to a great start. Don’t overthink cooking with the egg. In addition to cleaning out the ash pit with your rake, I suggest you turn the rake on its end so it fits between the fire box and the base. Over time ash will start to fill the space. 

Sometimes I do take a couple of handfuls of “used lump” out to add to the top of some fresh lump for a spark free torch start. (Find this a must do when using really cheap mesquite)
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    Welcome aboard.

My son and I talked about this a couple of days ago as we were lighting the egg.  When I told him that some eggheads occasionally take their eggs apart to get all the ash out, he was dumbfounded.  Of course, we've had ours for 5 years and have never done anything but clean out the ash every 5 cooks or so. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    @cindyflo just keep doing what you're doing.  I haven't had mine apart in years. Welcome to the cult I mean club. 
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser