Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Am I the only Canuck with a warranty replacement that’s not happening?

i keep reading about all the accolades of BGE warranty but is that just for the US customers?

I have been trying to get a replacement for my 3 old month platesetter for my MiniMax starting in July and after months of waiting was told by the dealer that the BGE rep had approved the replacement finally and it should arrive with their next shipment, we’ll shipment arrived bit not my platesetter was told by dealer they would check into it and get back to me, that was again some time ago....they never get back I eventually have to call them for updates, I also called a week or two ago the US head office but was referred to the Canadian office and was also told they would check into the matter and get back to me......still waiting.....
Platesetter has a 2 to 3 inch crack (not hairline).

just wondering if this timeline is normal???

MMx, my not so large BGE
Genesis E330 gasser 
WiFi ANOVA SV
Halifax, Canada

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    have bad dealers here as well, your dealer probably has one in stock.  any other dealers nearby, the im waiting for delivery does not happen in the winter in northern climates
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • I have resolved issued by contacting Bruce at the Mothership. he handled warranty issues and was a huge help.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,660
    No, there is something going on.  A warranty claim for the base of my large has been approved and my dealer gave me the base from another unit because it was taking too long.  I am still waiting for the bands (dealer had to submit 3 claims and is still waiting).  My 5 year warranty on the band has now expired so I hope it won’t be a problem.

Not going to help you now, but I drove into the US to buy my egg, saved almost 50% so I figured if I ever had issues at least I would have saved a bunch for replacement parts. That dealer has since stopped selling eggs, but I have made a claim with a different dealer in the same area twice and everything went well. I don't know if theres a lot less competition in Canada, but for service I have always had better luck on the states side for any decent sized purchase. I feel for you

• Where in Canada are you?
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    I have had no problems with warranty, us d it a few times and just have to get around to taking a picture of my base for that replacement.

I have had to wait a few months, depending on the next scheduled BGE delivery, which is not a problem for me.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • Agree with others who say it sounds like a dealer issue rather than at the corporate level, neither of which helps you get what you need. Good luck getting this resolved expeditiously.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Where in Canada are you?
    Just outside of Halifax, Nova Scotia
    MMx, my not so large BGE
    Genesis E330 gasser 
    WiFi ANOVA SV
    Halifax, Canada

• I have resolved issued by contacting Bruce at the Mothership. he handled warranty issues and was a huge help.
    Do I get him by just calling th mothership and asking for Bruce?
    MMx, my not so large BGE
    Genesis E330 gasser 
    WiFi ANOVA SV
    Halifax, Canada
  • paqman said:
    No, there is something going on.  A warranty claim for the base of my large has been approved and my dealer gave me the base from another unit because it was taking too long.  I am still waiting for the bands (dealer had to submit 3 claims and is still waiting).  My 5 year warranty on the band has now expired so I hope it won’t be a problem.
    Document your initial warranty submission ias well as you can. I had an absolutely horrible experience with a major appliance manufacturer whereby I called in a claim during the warranty period to ultimately have them try to deny it when they finally organized for the service call, six weeks later (which was then outside of the warranty period).
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    Order a stone and woo and scrap the platesetter. It’s a much better setup for the MM. 
  • odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    It's been well documented that warranty service is either poor or non existent in Canada.  At least it was a problem a few years ago.  Not sure if it improved since then.  Apparently not
  • odie91 said:
    It's been well documented that warranty service is either poor or non existent in Canada.  At least it was a problem a few years ago.  Not sure if it improved since then.  Apparently not
    OK that confirms it then for me......I won’t take their treatment personal....LOL
    thanks
    MMx, my not so large BGE
    Genesis E330 gasser 
    WiFi ANOVA SV
    Halifax, Canada
  • Cmyachtie
    Cmyachtie Posts: 101
    Order a stone and woo and scrap the platesetter. It’s a much better setup for the MM. 
    can you define “better”, ie does it let you go to 350 easier cooking indirect?
    i find it impossible to go there unless bottom is wide open And top Daisy wheel half off...
    MMx, my not so large BGE
    Genesis E330 gasser 
    WiFi ANOVA SV
    Halifax, Canada
  • AlbertaEgger
    AlbertaEgger Posts: 1,387
    I have had no issues at all with any warranty. 
    County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada
  • AlbertaEgger
    AlbertaEgger Posts: 1,387
    I have had no issues at all with any warranty. 
    3 eggs and have had to replace 2 items 
    County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    The way I understand it, BGE has a single distributor for Canada. Makes sense that a replacement would be included in the next shipment, that shipment from the distributor in the centre of the universe “Tranta”, might take some time to get to a dealer in Nova Scotia. I’ve heard similar stories from folks here on the left coast, as noted by @poster above, many here drive to Washington State and bypass the rather mediocre Canadian distributor used by BGE. 
    Hang in there, you will get your replacement sometime. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Cmyachtie
    The way I understand it, BGE has a single distributor for Canada. Makes sense that a replacement would be included in the next shipment, that shipment from the distributor in the centre of the universe “Tranta”, might take some time to get to a dealer in Nova Scotia. I’ve heard similar stories from folks here on the left coast, as noted by @poster above, many here drive to Washington State and bypass the rather mediocre Canadian distributor used by BGE. 
    I am retired, nothing better to do than to keep bugging them, keeping at it till they get tired of me...LOL
    MMx, my not so large BGE
    Genesis E330 gasser 
    WiFi ANOVA SV
    Halifax, Canada
  • Cmyachtie

I didn’t give all the details in my OP but must have had a dozen telcons and several store visits since last last July with dealer and am definitely getting the runaround, first pic I attached to my email to them was lost after they confirmed it first and that delayed the claim two months at least also called the Canadian distributor a week or so before Christmas finally as I was getting somewhat p****d with dealer and was told they would call me back after checking on my claim but nothing yet......will follow up next week or so.( should not take them over a week to check on a warranty claim for a reliable company.....) imho.
    MMx, my not so large BGE
    Genesis E330 gasser 
    WiFi ANOVA SV
    Halifax, Canada
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,452
    MX platesetter is probably not a commonly stocked item, otherwise the dealer should give you one they have on display or in stock. Have to agree with @Skiddymarker about "Tranta" ... actually it's not just the distance, to qualify for free shipment, the dealer has to 'build' a minimum order quantity/$ which may not happen anytime soon if it's not a busy high volume dealer. One big advantage of KJ is you deal directly with KJ HQ and they ship replacement part to customer's home free of $hipping.
    canuckland
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    MX platesetter is probably not a commonly stocked item, otherwise the dealer should give you one they have on display or in stock. Have to agree with @Skiddymarker about "Tranta" ... actually it's not just the distance, to qualify for free shipment, the dealer has to 'build' a minimum order quantity/$ which may not happen anytime soon if it's not a busy high volume dealer. One big advantage of KJ is you deal directly with KJ HQ and they ship replacement part to customer's home free of $hipping.
    Interesting comment re the KJ, it is similar with Primo....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    Cmyachtie said:
    i find it impossible to go there unless bottom is wide open And top Daisy wheel half off...
    There is a bigger air gap using the woo and stone that makes indirect more consistent. From what I’ve gathered, a KAB is a must have for the mini max. 
  • Miked125
    Miked125 Posts: 481
    My warranty replacement was painful, I think it was mostly the dealer. 
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Cmyachtie said:
    Give this a look. Really helps make the MM a versitile little cooker.

https://ceramicgrillstore.com/collections/big-green-egg-minimax-small-accessories-by-ceramic-grill-store/products/150-mini-max-woo-bge

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,452
    Since you contacted the distributor just before Christmas, and they may be closed between Christmas and New Year, hopefully you'll hear back from them this week. Good luck!
    canuckland
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    I have three eggs that have the ceramic glaze on the dome falling off. There was a bad run at the factory around 10 years ago. BGE Canada has been aware of it for at least 7 years. Finally got around to doing something about it last year and they want my original receipt. I can understand this but the order came directly from them to me. They no longer have the records and appear unwilling to do anything about it. It makes me feel like smashing my eggs on the ground but that would only hurt me.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• vcool
    vcool Posts: 26
    I made a claim on the plate setter and fire ring with my original dealer.  They gave me their store demo plate setter the day I made the claim (not new but available immediately so fine...) and they called my 8 months later to say my fire box is in.  It wasn't the fire box I needed (and the ring was broken but worked just fine). 

I gave them **** for a bit about it and they explained that the warranty stuff shows up with their other orders.  They weren't a huge seller of eggs so it takes time, or I could pay for the freight myself.  The owner of BGE Canada (I think more like the distributor) and I had a chat at an Eggfest I was cooking at and he was non-committal about helping but said if they didn't sort it out to give him a call.  I relocated the following week, contacted a local egg dealer and had my ring within 2 weeks.  It would appear to me its actually dependant on the dealer alot more than BGE.
    Ottawa Canada, Cigars, Hunting, Fishing and Egging
  • Cmyachtie
    Thanks guys, guess my Treatment is typical of dealers ordering BGE once or twice a year.....
    MMx, my not so large BGE
    Genesis E330 gasser 
    WiFi ANOVA SV
    Halifax, Canada
  • Cmyachtie said:
    i keep reading about all the accolades of BGE warranty but is that just for the US customers?

I have been trying to get a replacement for my 3 old month platesetter for my MiniMax starting in July and after months of waiting was told by the dealer that the BGE rep had approved the replacement finally and it should arrive with their next shipment, we’ll shipment arrived bit not my platesetter was told by dealer they would check into it and get back to me, that was again some time ago....they never get back I eventually have to call them for updates, I also called a week or two ago the US head office but was referred to the Canadian office and was also told they would check into the matter and get back to me......still waiting.....
    Platesetter has a 2 to 3 inch crack (not hairline).

just wondering if this timeline is normal???

I hear ya. As an fellow Canadian customer I've not been impressed by my dealer nor BGE. These plate setters are garbage . I have an XL and have gone through 3 in 2 years . They have again offered to replace but I went out on my own and bought a cast iron Plate setter. $$$$ but will last forever. Not sure if they make one for the mini. 
    Cambridge, Ontario , Canada . XL BGE
  • Cmyachtie
    So I decided to make one more phone call to the dealer and talk to the store manager instead of his BGE guy........wo and behold got a callback saying he got me a platesetter he borrowed from another dealer for me, went to pick it up yesterday and discovered that even though diameterwise it is same as mine, the legs are shorter.....(about 50%)
    so now I began to wonder if there are two different platesetters, one for the small and one for the MM.??
    MMx, my not so large BGE
    Genesis E330 gasser 
    WiFi ANOVA SV
    Halifax, Canada