Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best cooks for 1 hour or less?

Options
Just curious what everyone’s favorites are for cooks that can be done in a shorter amount of time, preferably less than one hour. Looking for new ideas other than burgers or pizza. Let me know some of your favorites!

Comments

• SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I agree with Lou - pork tenderloin. They cook quickly and are delicious.
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • jeponline
    Options
    Chicken Breast.  I prefer boneless skinless.  Depending on the rub I use, I can make BBQ chicken salads, fajitas, quesadillas, or just eat it right off the grill.

I can also have a stir fry done on the wok in under an hour from start to finish.
    Large BGE
    Huntsville, AL
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,345
    Options
    Wings! 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Wings steak burgers abts kabobs spatchcock cheeken...
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Pound out some chicken breasts, stuff with goodness and roll them up.
    Same works with a couple pork tenderloins. Butterfly them out, stuff and roll them up. The prep and be be done in advance and tossed back in fridge.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Bacon wrapped BBQ shrimp.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    Spatchcock chicken is about 45 minutes. Stuffed pork chops about the same depending on thickness. Beer-can burgers, kielbasa, planked salmon..Im getting hungry  =)
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Caveman steak.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Favorite quick cooks: pork tenderloin or salmon or any of a variety of sausage.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• bikesAndBBQ
    Options
    Scallops or smoked egg salad 
    Pittsburgh, PA. LBGE
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    Anything in a wok/discada ( sorry for the dark Photo)

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Wings, burgers, brats, Spatchcock chicken (raised direct), Sourdough :tongue: , steak in most cases, bacon, cake, cookies, pan roasted garlic and rosemary chicken with rainbow fingerling potatoes. The lighting method of the lump charcoal has a lot to do with the timing. I'll typically light the charcoal and get the egg setup during my prep. By the time I'm done prepping the egg is usually at or close to the temp I need it to be and wham bam thank you ma'am there you go. It's something that you will learn as you go.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    2-1/2 in thick or thicker reverse sear porterhouse or tomahawk ribeye.   
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • ewyllins
    ewyllins Posts: 461
    Options
    Wings, burgers, brats, Spatchcock chicken (raised direct), Sourdough :tongue: , steak in most cases, bacon, cake, cookies, pan roasted garlic and rosemary chicken with rainbow fingerling potatoes. The lighting method of the lump charcoal has a lot to do with the timing. I'll typically light the charcoal and get the egg setup during my prep. By the time I'm done prepping the egg is usually at or close to the temp I need it to be and wham bam thank you ma'am there you go. It's something that you will learn as you go.
    ^^^^^^^
    O-Town, FL

• Big_Green_Craig
    Options
  • kweitz
    kweitz Posts: 305
    Options
    Cedar planked salmon with coating of Dijon, sprinkle of brown sugar, splash of soy and covered in dill, cook to 120.......yum!

Charles Town, West-by-God Virginia

Sazco large Casa-Q

Large BGE

• PoppasGrill
    Options
    Baked potatoes, which can be a meal in itself. I did cook a Quiche on the EGG a month or so ago , it was amazing and only took 10 mins to prep and 40 mins on the EGG.
    Chicken breast, boneless/skinless only 45 mins or so, mix up some Alfredo sauce and boil the noodles while the breasts are cooking. And garlic bread , of course.
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    Options
    Wok cooks are fast, but the prep is the time bandit.  Chop everything up the night before and bring everything out mise en place, and giddyup!  From the time I put oil in the wok to finished beef and broccoli is about five minutes.  Bananas fast

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• moo4me
    moo4me Posts: 37
    Options
    Thanks for all the ideas everyone! Love it!

Ended up doing a pork tenderloin tonight as @lousubcap suggested and it turned out fantastic! Arrived home at 5:15 from the office, fired up egg, prepped, tossed on the egg, and served by 6:15. 

Will definitely be doing more of the suggested cooks later as well. Sorry no pics on this one, but it turned out great!
  • MotownVol
    MotownVol Posts: 1,040
    Options
    Two favorites for me.  Cedar plank Salmon or burgers with stuffed mushrooms 
    Morristown TN, LBGE and Mini-Max.
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    A big filet of salmon right on the cast iron grates.  Awesome.  Grill flavor. Simple.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • pdevoy
    pdevoy Posts: 25
    Options
    Santa Maria tri tip  
  • JMCXL
    JMCXL Posts: 1,524
    Options
    boneless, skinless Chicken Thighs so juicy so good.

2 TBSP FIRMLY PACKED LIGHT BROWN SUGAR

½ TSP DRIED OREGANO

½ TSP GROUND CHIPOTLE CHILE PEPPER

½ TSP KOSHER SALT

get to 185 degrees

dip in WHITE BARBECUE SAUCE

1 CUP MAYO

1/3 CUP APPLE CIDER VINEGAR (I USE ½ THIS AMOUNT)

1 TSP WORCESTERSHIRE SAUCE

½ TSP KOSHER SALT

½ TSP GARLIC POWDER

½ TSP ONION POWDER

½ TSP FRESHLY GROUND BLACK PEPPER

Northern New Jersey
     XL - Woo2, AR      L (2) - Woo, PS Woo     MM (2) - Woo       MINI

Check out https://www.grillingwithpapaj.com for some fun and more Grilling with Papa (incase you haven't gotten enough of me)

Also, check out my YouTube Page
    https://www.youtube.com/c/grillingwithpapaj

Follow me on Facebook 
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingPapaJ/

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Almost everything I cook is done in less than an hour. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Markarm4119
    Options
    Kabobs, stuffed chicken breast, stuffed pork chops, reverse sear your favorite steak, filet of spam with Uncle Cletus' hubcap rub.
    LBGE, and just enough knowledge and gadgets to be dangerous .
    Buford,Ga.
  • drumdudeguy
    Options

Bacon Wrapped Scallops with Beef Tenderloin

Charlotte NC - Large Big Green Egg (2009) w/Nest and Handler
    Accessories: PSWoo, Woo, Adjustable Rig, Smokeware Cap and Temperature Gauge
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Options
    Salmon with soaked alderwood. 
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)