Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

<<OT>> Cold Weather

Options
Rascal
Rascal Posts: 3,923
What's the coldest you've ever experienced?  For me it was -22F, West Lafayette, IN.. January, 1963

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Never did track the cold temps other than the high on Xmas Day in 1980 was -12*F (visiting from CA) North of Plattsburgh, NY just south of the GWN line of demarcation. 
    Wait til the gang from the GWN rolls in-you will see some friggin low numbers but likely in *C  ;)
    Edit:  I grew up in the above described area before wind chill became another drama factor for the weather guessers.  About the coldest I recall feeling was getting out of a frozen over river (but not thick enough for passage and shallow enough to be able to stand and clear the surface).  The innocence of youth  ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited December 2017
    Options
    When I lived in WI we had 14 days in a row that it did not hit 0. -20 was the coldest I remember. 

Another time i had had moved back to TX but still had a home and restaurant in WI  so I would fly back and forth to check on them. I left Austin at 80 degrees and landed in Appleton at -20 4 hours later. 100 degrees difference. That was shocking to my soul. It hurt to breathe
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    I can't recall the coldest I've experienced here in Minnesota. It was -41 yesterday in Cotton, Minnesota 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    I have gone ice fishing with air temps below minus-30. My lowest for BGEgging was minus-8 air, probably minus 25 windchill.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Bellavista52
    Options
    I was here for this "The coldest temperature ever recorded in Chicago city limits is −27 °F (−33 °C) at O'Hare on January 20, 1985"
    XL and Small BGEs in South Carolina
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,172
    Options
    went fishing yesterday at -40F, that's about as cold as it ever gets here. spent the night on the ice in a shelter. damn holes froze over every couple minutes
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    killington mountain had -40 posted once not including windchill. 3 days stuck in a margarita bar trying not so hard to get the car started =) was probbly more like 30 below, people coming off the mountian with frostbite with just one ski run.  its a strange sensation, im not cold at all in those types of temps,  was warming beers on a heater indoors while working on the car, beer would freeze in my hand in no time, a few minutes. you could feel the skin instantly tighten the skin on your face as you walked out doors but that was it
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    killington mountain had -40 posted once not including windchill. 3 days stuck in a margarita bar trying not so hard to get the car started =) was probbly more like 30 below, people coming off the mountian with frostbite with just one ski run.  its a strange sensation, im not cold at all in those types of temps,  was warming beers on a heater indoors while working on the car, beer would freeze in my hand in no time, a few minutes. you could feel the skin instantly tighten the skin on your face as you walked out doors but that was it
    Yep. Below 5 F or so our nerves can't really "feel" the cold anymore and we are basically just numb to it.
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    I've read about people actually stripping their clothes off when their body core temp rises in an attempt to survive and protect the vitals...
  • evie1370
    evie1370 Posts: 506
    Options
    I think it was 1978. Temps hit -25 without wind chill. Not only cold but eerily quiet. 

Medium BGE in Cincinnati OH.

"

"I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but, by God, they frighten me. " Duke of Wellington, Battle of Waterloo.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    evie1370 said:
    I think it was 1978. Temps hit -25 without wind chill. Not only cold but eerily quiet. 
    til you step on some snow and it screams
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Don't recall the date, probably around Y2K. Had to unload a semi at -16F, w. a fierce windchill. The tail gate lift was frozen, there was too much snow for the truck to get to the dock. Had to hand lift, and push carts about 300 yards. No fun at all.
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,172
    Options
    Yep. Below 5 F or so our nerves can't really "feel" the cold anymore and we are basically just numb to it.
    It sure friggen hurts when it thaws out. Fingers feel like they were slammed in a door
  • CornfedMA
    Options
    About 4-5 yrs ago, we were hunting snow geese in Maryland and temps bottomed out around -18*F. We hit a deep, frozen, salt water puddle on the way to the field and the water refroze before the splash hit the windshield. We could only stand to be out there for about 2.5-3 hrs but it was one of the most epic hunts I’ve ever been on. The local news was talking about all kinds of records when we got back to our hotel. The 2nd and 3rd days of the hunt felt like a heatwave of 10 and 20*F, respectively. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    edited December 2017
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    I can't recall the coldest I've experienced here in Minnesota. It was -41 yesterday in Cotton, Minnesota 
    Yeah it was crazy. It was -35 at my buddy’s cabin between Cass Lake and Walker. 
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I was skiing Big Sky, MT staying on the mountain. I looked out our window and saw the chair lifts were not spinning at the designated start time. I called the front desk:

DM: Hello, front desk, I noticed the chair lifts are not spinning?
    FD: Sir, it is negative 30 degrees outside. We don't start our chair lifts until the temperature reaches negative 15.

We got out there having put on every piece of clothing we could muster. My wife put duct tape over her boots and vents in her helmet.

By 11am it was a balmy negative 10 degrees. We could only manage one run at a time before heading in to warm up. My brother got frostbite on his face that day. 

What I remember was riding the chairlift was miserable when the breeze kicked in.
    Mountain View, CA
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Why does anyone willfully choose to live in MN?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • WeberWho
    Options
    Good people and good food I guess. Winters can be long. I think it makes you appreciate the other 3 seasons more than most. I can't imagine living anywhere else. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    It’s not miserable in the summer. Most places have sucky weather a couple months a year. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    It’s not miserable in the summer. Most places have sucky weather a couple months a year. 
    My brother and his family live there.  They say the winter pays for the summer.  I’m not sure I believe him.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    Good people and good food I guess. Winters can be long. I think it makes you appreciate the other 3 seasons more than most. I can't imagine living anywhere else. 
    Really?  Where else have you lived?
  • WeberWho
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    Born and raised in MN. I can't see myself leaving anytime soon. 

Minnesota
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    WeberWho said:
    Ah.  OK.  My brother’s in-laws are like that.  A few of them I think have never even left the state.  
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Options
    -28 in Gunnison, CO.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• g8golfer
    g8golfer Posts: 1,025
    Options
    -10 in KY and for a golfer like myself anything under 50 degrees is way to cold. 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Do you fish broseph?
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• WeberWho
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    WeberWho said:
    Ah.  OK.  My brother’s in-laws are like that.  A few of them I think have never even left the state.  
    Haha. I don't think I'm that bad. I think the last time I've counted I'm around 30 or so different states.

Money Magazine named my hometown the #1 city in the nation that has under 100,000 population. It can't be all that bad here in MN. ;) A couple other MN cities have cracked the top spot as well recently. I can see why people might think other with the harsh winters

Minnesota
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    WeberWho said:
    WeberWho said:
    Haha. I don't think I'm that bad. I think the last time I've counted I'm around 30 or so different states.

Money Magazine named my hometown the #1 city in the nation that has under 100,000 population. It can't be all that bad here in MN. ;) A couple other MN cities have cracked the top spot as well recently. I can see why people might think other with the harsh winters
    I think it’s a perfectly nice state... six months out of the year.

But I get it.  I grew up with plenty of people in NH who’ll never leave there and are pretty convinced it’s the best state in the country (and the arguments have merit).  
  • g8golfer
    g8golfer Posts: 1,025
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    WeberWho said:
    WeberWho said:

But I get it.  I grew up with plenty of people in NH who’ll never leave there and are pretty convinced it’s the best state in the country (and the arguments have merit).  
    How did you end up in NC just curious? 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    g8golfer said:
    WeberWho said:
    WeberWho said:
    WeberWho said:

How did you end up in NC just curious? 
    I’m a huge NASCAR fan.