Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken Breast ideas

Local Kroger has boneless skinless chicken breast on sale. Any egg recipes for good ol plain chicken breast?

Comments

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932

season to taste, grill until done

XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • I’m in the camp that boneless chicken breasts don’t belong on the grill grate. They have a tendency to dry out and lack flavor. 

If you have a sous vide you can go that route. Or take a cast iron, butterfly them and cook them on the Egg in that.  

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Raised direst @ 375-400. Apply favorite rub/seasoning. Glaze with something yummy. We like raspberry chipotle glaze
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Cube and Jerk seasoning cooked direct on the grill.  Jerk from a jar (wet paste) not dry.

or

Cube and Tandoori.  Marinade in spices (whatever you like) and yoghurt and put in very hot (700ish) Egg suspended on skewers through the top vent. Worth putting a fire brick in the lump to reduce the direct heat on the bottom of the first chunk of chicken - bottom chunk maybe 6" above the fire.
  • evie1370
    evie1370 Posts: 506
    Brine first, agree they can be dry and flavorless. Then butterfly-stuff with hatch chili, cream cheese and wrap with bacon. Then sprinkle on rub-brush with favorite BBQ sauce.

Medium BGE in Cincinnati OH.

"

"I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but, by God, they frighten me. " Duke of Wellington, Battle of Waterloo.
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Marinated chicken breasts always taste great and if you’re new to grilling are a little more forgiving if you overshoot the mark 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • vb4677
    vb4677 Posts: 686
    Tandoori Skewers!
    Cube it up, marinate in yogurt with a bunch of Indian spices for couple of hours, thread onto soaked skewers, and then go hot, fast and direct.
    Kansas City: Too Much City for One State - Missouri side
    2 Large BGE's, Instant Pot, Anova Sous Vide, and a gas smoker...
    Barbeque, Homebrew and Blues...
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Chicken Margherita.

Grill them to an IT of 150, then top with marinara sauce of choice, chopped basil, and fresh mozzarella. Broil for a few minutes until the mozzarella melts a bit. 

I think I got this from @The Cen-Tex Smoker

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    I like to grill lots and then freeze for salads, etc. 

Another favorite like @Killit_and_Grillit said, SV chicken breast is hard to beat
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    lemon chicken, piccata, fry it and make buffalo sauced sandwiches with bluecheese dressing
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • I usually grill raised direct and get good results.  Typically marinade with DP Mediterranean-ish, Shaking the Tree, or sometimes Cow Lick.  As others said the key is not overcooking them.  However, one day I was doing baked potatoes indirect at 400 prior to doing chicken, and the taters weren't quite done, and I was too lazy to change my setup, so I put the chicken breasts on indirect as well.  They turned out really nicely and cooked almost as fast.  
    XL BGE, CGS AR & spider, 36" SS Blackstone, SMOBOT - Flower Mound, TX
  • Dixie Chicken - Marinade in Italian dressing. Cook on indirect at 375. Finish off with honey mustard, cheese, and bacon on top.
    Charlotte NC - Large Big Green Egg (2009) w/Nest and Handler
    Accessories: PSWoo, Woo, Adjustable Rig, Smokeware Cap and Temperature Gauge
  • Eggaroo
    Eggaroo Posts: 417
    Our family’s favorite is the McCormick brand Grill Mate Mesquite Marinade. Quarter cup oil + quarter cup water + package ingredients + chicken beasts. Marinate overnight for best flavor, then grill direct at 350-400.  Great for salads, wraps or quesadillas. 
    Greenwood, IN | XL BGE | Weber Genesis | Blackstone 28 | bunch of accessories  =)
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    Well, I cheat. I will buy Costco Mac and cheese, dump into a large bowl and take about 2 pounds of grilled chicken breast chopped after cooked raised direct, then throw into the egg at 400F for about an hour, pull add Sriracha to your liking and serve.
    Awesome meal, and My Beautiful wife and I can get several meals from it.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    teriyaki chicken.  if you have a wok the chicken recipes are endless
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • GaBGE
    GaBGE Posts: 556
    Wrap in bacon, baste with blues hog and top with cheese just before pulling them.
  • Cut 'em in half and fry 'em like this:
    sous-vide-fried-chicken
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 565
    cook indirect at 300 to 165 with a good rub    I like Dizzy Pig shaking the tree and Raging river both on same time. 
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,204
    Dip them in Caesar dressing then dust with grated Parmigian cheese.  Roast raised direct to assure browning the exterior. Slice to serve on pasta or salad.
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    I probably cook more boneless skinless breasts than anyone here. I cook them a few nights per week. Here are a couple of tips. 
    1.  Pound the breasts out to even thickness. This is critical to ensuring even cooking. You’d never consider throwing a steak on the grill that was 1/2” thick on one end and 2” on the other yet folks do that all the time with boneless skinless breasts. I believe the pounding helps break down tissue as well leading to a more tender piece of chicken. 
    2.  Mix a dry rub with some olive oil and lemon juice. Brush it on a few minutes beforehand but not need for lengthy soaks. Ain’t nobody got time fo dat. Watch the salt content especially if you are going dry rub only. 
    3.  Raised direct keeps the direct flame off of the breasts and doesn’t dry out the bird. The reflective dome heat assists with even cooking. 
    4. 400-450F seems to be the sweet spot temp. Higher temps give you stringy chicken and lower than 400F makes the chicken rubbery. I pull them when it is in the high 150s and the carry over gets me close to the final temp. 

These are my own experiences. Your mileage may vary. 

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I probably cook more boneless skinless breasts than anyone here. I cook them a few nights per week. Here are a couple of tips. 
    1.  Pound the breasts out to even thickness. This is critical to ensuring even cooking. You’d never consider throwing a steak on the grill that was 1/2” thick on one end and 2” on the other yet folks do that all the time with boneless skinless breasts. I believe the pounding helps break down tissue as well leading to a more tender piece of chicken. 
    2.  Mix a dry rub with some olive oil and lemon juice. Brush it on a few minutes beforehand but not need for lengthy soaks. Ain’t nobody got time fo dat. Watch the salt content especially if you are going dry rub only. 
    3.  Raised direct keeps the direct flame off of the breasts and doesn’t dry out the bird. The reflective dome heat assists with even cooking. 
    4. 400-450F seems to be the sweet spot temp. Higher temps give you stringy chicken and lower than 400F makes the chicken rubbery. I pull them when it is in the high 150s and the carry over gets me close to the final temp. 

Agreed, except I don't always pound 'em. I'm sure they'd cook more evenly though. 

Some swear by indirect for chicken, but I much prefer direct. 400° is my target too.

Dry rub/olive oil/lemon juice is great. Try Herbes de Provence for your rub. Outstanding!! Great on a pork chop too.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    @Carolina Q I think pounding them is the single most important thing. It took my yardbird game to the next level. 
  • BJM2932
    BJM2932 Posts: 119
    I cook a ton of chicken breasts as well for meal prepping through the week. I work overnight with no Access to food aside from delivery so I eat them plain or slice for salads/ chicken salad. I’m in the 400 raised direct crowd, and pull at 157 IT to keep from drying out. 
    L BGE
    Paoli, PA

Instagram

• Woodchunk
    Woodchunk Posts: 911
    edited December 2017
    ColtsFan said:
    I like to grill lots and then freeze for salads, etc. 

Another favorite like @Killit_and_Grillit said, SV chicken breast is hard to beat
    Exactly, we will do a whole package at one time. Lately we have been stuffing them and wrapping with speck
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Confucius ask, What is breast chicken ideas?

Gotta agree with everything said here.   I would disagree with the most boneless breast cooked in a week but I alternate between breast and thighs atkeast 4-5 days a week.  

Chicken tits + good rub + 400-425 raised direct = good eats.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Strongly agree with @DoubleEgger above.  Big problem with chicken breasts is uneven thickness.  My wife's FAVORITE CHICKEN dish is chicken breasts grilled this way with a rub from Melissa Clark: Sweet and Spicy Grilled Chicken Breasts where she makes the same points he did.

It's still true that you can overcook them, and if you do, they'll be dry.  But pounding them to an even thickness of 1/2-3/4" and grilling hot and fast kinda like a thin steak, it's good eating!
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    I always use the Perdue brand which are ultra-thick and bake them in my Breville Smart Oven (OMG!!~~)
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    I don't mind the variation in thickness, I move the pieces around on the heat and take the thinner stuff off sooner. Anne likes chicken more well done anyway, so she eats anything overdone.