Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is it just me...FB site vs Forum

Options

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Let’s check out one of the FB BGE groups, shall we?

Wow Garry that’s some incredible luck to win such a prize!  Let’s take a look at your home page to see who you are:

Oh.  I see.

I don't control random.org. There are so many prizes, someone I know was bound to win something.

There has been some forum member win stuff too. 
    It’s nice that a major University Professor has time to cyber stalk you! LOL! Actually it’s quite a compliment that he is that jealous of your success. 

I wonder if they will say all kinds of great stuff about SRF after they get all their free stuff from shaking them down on this forum last month. Shame! Shame! 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited December 2017
    Options
    And just like that, JIC turtles up. LOL

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Let’s check out one of the FB BGE groups, shall we?

Wow Garry that’s some incredible luck to win such a prize!  Let’s take a look at your home page to see who you are:

Oh.  I see.

I don't control random.org. There are so many prizes, someone I know was bound to win something.

There has been some forum member win stuff too. 
    @BrookieP won a Flame Boss 300.

I was going to shout you out, but it looks like you beat me too it.  I'll make sure Brooke gets you on insta. 

Thanks for the FB.  Looking forward to entering for the big prize. 

^^^All that being said.....the facebook groups still suck.  But that has nothing to do with ol' Craig-a-rooski

XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Options
    Also, why does big green craig attract such a following? That giveaway is super shady
    Shady? LOL Can't do anything nice without criticism. SMH...  Couldn't be easier to enter. Tag some friends that might want the item. All the entries get loaded into excel and get shuffled. Random.org picks the number.

Just thought it would be a fun thing to do for Christmas. Lots of people are enjoying it, but I guess there will always be the downers. 

Merry Christmas! 
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    The best BGE Facebook page ever was Tweev's fake page. I have never laughed so hard at the internet in my life. He set it up as the corporate BGE page and just savaged people. He had thousands of followers and They let it go on for months. 

Once they shut that down, I was out of the BGE facebook page game.  The few fanboy pages that I have seen suck balls. 
    Does anyone have screenshots from that?
    god I hope so but I don't. He would start a Thanksgiving post by saying something like

"show us what you are cooking to celebrate the decimation and murder of indigenous people"! People would actually post food pics. 

when people posted stuff they had cooked he would say things like "You probably shouldn't eat that, you are fat"

He would insult people and they would say, "I'm never buying one of these f*cking things as long as I live" then he would say something like "you probably couldn't afford it anyway". 

And everyone thought it was BGE corporate!

He ran some scam throwdowns that scooped up some of our own early bloggers as well. He was manipulating the votes to make it look close and people were coming on here saying "I just need a few more votes to catch up to Juanita's Muffins" (or burger or something- forgot the exact food) and people would go on there and vote for the forum guy. Tweev was Juanita and the admin so he would let people get close then Juanita would sprint to the lead at the last second. 

It was epic. 

Not quite how it happened. Tweev was not Juanita (I know her) nor was he the admin (That was some chili company), but he was running some kind of program that was voting over and over and again and screwing with the counts). I was the blogger, but I didn't start the post here asking people to vote for me. That was somebody else. Tweev and I didn't get along and that was no secret and he made it so that I lost...at least that is how I understand how things turned out. I could be wrong, but I no longer care. Thing was a mess and it pissed everybody off that was involved. Man, that feels like a lifetime ago. I do remember the chili mix sucked when made according to the package and I think I dusted some shrimp with it and made some kind of pasta. I felt bad that I ever got involved in it and that things got so out of hand. There were 3 other bloggers. Juanita's Cocina, The Unorthodox Epicure and some and some other lady from South Texas that I can no longer remember.

Oh, and I was on a FB for like a week. Seemed like every post was how do I cook a brisket? Pork butt? Ribs? Got old quick and I left.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• milesvdustin
    Options
    @Big_Green_Craig i feel like if someone is going to do a giveaway it should exclude close friends and associates, pretty much for what we saw in this thread, hence my comment. 

I understand that being shady isnt your intent, but perception is reality to most. 

Merry Christmas to you as well

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options

How do you know the toothbrush was invented in Kentucky?

If it had been invented anywhere else it would be a teethbrush.

Fun Fact:

The toothbrush as we know it today was not invented until 1938. However, early forms of the toothbrush have been in existence since 3000 BC. Ancient civilizations used a "chew stick," which was a thin twig with a frayed end. These 'chew sticks' were rubbed against the teeth.

The bristle toothbrush, similar to the type used today, was not invented until 1498 in China. The bristles were actually the stiff, coarse hairs taken from the back of a hog's neck and attached to handles made of bone or bamboo.

Boar bristles were used until 1938, when nylon bristles were introduced by Dupont de Nemours. The first nylon toothbrush was called Doctor West's Miracle Toothbrush. Later, Americans were influenced by the disciplined hygiene habits of soldiers from World War II. They became increasingly concerned with the practice of good oral hygiene and quickly adopted the nylon toothbrush.

Some other interesting toothbrush facts:

• The first mass-produced toothbrush was made by William Addis of Clerkenwald, England, around 1780.
    • The first American to patent a toothbrush was H. N. Wadsworth, (patent number 18,653,) on Nov. 7, 1857.
    • Mass production of toothbrushes began in America around 1885.
    • One of the first electric toothbrushes to hit the American market was in 1960. It was marketed by the Squibb company under the name Broxodent.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Griffin said:
    The best BGE Facebook page ever was Tweev's fake page. I have never laughed so hard at the internet in my life. He set it up as the corporate BGE page and just savaged people. He had thousands of followers and They let it go on for months. 

Once they shut that down, I was out of the BGE facebook page game.  The few fanboy pages that I have seen suck balls. 
    god I hope so but I don't. He would start a Thanksgiving post by saying something like

"show us what you are cooking to celebrate the decimation and murder of indigenous people"! People would actually post food pics. 

when people posted stuff they had cooked he would say things like "You probably shouldn't eat that, you are fat"

He would insult people and they would say, "I'm never buying one of these f*cking things as long as I live" then he would say something like "you probably couldn't afford it anyway". 

He ran some scam throwdowns that scooped up some of our own early bloggers as well. He was manipulating the votes to make it look close and people were coming on here saying "I just need a few more votes to catch up to Juanita's Muffins" (or burger or something- forgot the exact food) and people would go on there and vote for the forum guy. Tweev was Juanita and the admin so he would let people get close then Juanita would sprint to the lead at the last second. 

It was epic. 

Not quite how it happened. Tweev was not Juanita (I know her) nor was he the admin (That was some chili company), but he was running some kind of program that was voting over and over and again and screwing with the counts). I was the blogger, but I didn't start the post here asking people to vote for me. That was somebody else. Tweev and I didn't get along and that was no secret and he made it so that I lost...at least that is how I understand how things turned out. I could be wrong, but I no longer care. Thing was a mess and it pissed everybody off that was involved. Man, that feels like a lifetime ago. I do remember the chili mix sucked when made according to the package and I think I dusted some shrimp with it and made some kind of pasta. I felt bad that I ever got involved in it and that things got so out of hand. There were 3 other bloggers. Juanita's Cocina, The Unorthodox Epicure and some and some other lady from South Texas that I can no longer remember.

Oh, and I was on a FB for like a week. Seemed like every post was how do I cook a brisket? Pork butt? Ribs? Got old quick and I left.

Sounds like I may have had 2 or 3 of his shenannagans mixed up. He was prolific there for a while. It was forever ago. Like 2013 or something like that. I didn't remember who was involved on here but I do remember it was a $hit show for a while. I couldn't turn away for the short time I knew that was him running the FB page. Then it was all gone in a puff of smoke. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • pgprescott
    Options
    @Big_Green_Craig i feel like if someone is going to do a giveaway it should exclude close friends and associates, pretty much for what we saw in this thread, hence my comment. 

I understand that being shady isnt your intent, but perception is reality to most. 

Merry Christmas to you as well
    I can’t wait for your multi thousand dollar give away. Since we’re not close friends, I would be eligible. Let us all know when you get it all lined up. I’ll want to thank you for your efforts. 

This is is typical these days, never mind the truth, it’s my own perceived truth that matters. I think that’s taught daily in journalism school too. LOL! 

i think “my apologies” were the words you might have been looking for? No? Well, my bad.  
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options

Yep.  This is the usual approach people take, to avoid even the appearance of a conflict of interest.  

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • pgprescott
    Options

Yep.  This is the usual approach people take, to avoid even the appearance of a conflict of interest.  

Go beg for some more free stuff.

It’s a bunch of free stuff randomly chosen. Not like he owes anybody anything. What a joke. What is the cut off? If he has met you before? If he knows you from a forum or website? Related? Best friend? Really good friend? Friends spouse? Spouses friends?  Bunch of ingrates. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options

Pretty much standard operating procedure for all give-a-ways.  It's boilerplate...because you avoid this very issue.  People notice, then their friends start getting hysterical, embarrassing really.  Let's just avoid the bad press and follow SOP. 

A valid observation turns into the worst of people coming out.   Sad.
    Options

Pretty much standard operating procedure for all give-a-ways.  It's boilerplate...because you avoid this very issue.  People notice, then their friends start getting hysterical, embarrassing really.  Let's just avoid the bad press and follow SOP. 

Look who shows up. The NO yipper. They run in packs. A couple others will be along soon. 

Another jealous ingrate apparently. Geez Craig, how awful of you to let anyone and everyone participate in this totally random giveaway. Horrible. Lol. 
  • Focker
    edited December 2017
    Options

Look who shows up. The NO yipper. They run in packs. A couple others will be along soon. 

Another jealous ingrate apparently. Geez Craig, how awful of you to let anyone and everyone participate in this totally random giveaway. Horrible. Lol. 
    Cute yipper pic!
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• distanceman
    Options
    Ah yes, give a thread enough time and it digresses into the same petty-ness associated with the FB Group(s). 

Frankly, I see both points as being valid. At the end of the day, it's ok to disagree. No need to keep throwing around internet haymakers...
    Located Middle GA

Current: XL w/ Woo & 17" Half Moon Plates, SMOBOT

RIP: Weber 22" Kettle, Slow 'n Sear, Akorn Jr., Pit Barrel Cooker
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I thought BGC's giveaways looked pretty cool... I just couldn't figure out the rules, which I suspect happened to lots of people who then just said.... "f*ck it."  (which kept the participant list smaller for those Instagram savvy geniuses!)

I know, I know... I'm sure it wasn't rocket science, but I really did look at the pictures and comments and couldn't discern if something was given away yet, when the pictures were posted, etc. User error on my part. Facebook seems easier that way.  Internet forums, easiest. Promising me $1M of Bill Gates fortune that's up for grabs due to some tax loophole and all I have to do is repost the paragraph... we'll that's just free money.  =)
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Options
    I'll make sure to to run any and all future endeavors past this group for approval.  ;)
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,943
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I'll make sure to to run any and all future endeavors past this group for approval.  ;)
    No need to do that, just try to work on having a little more integrity.  
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    What is facebook?
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Options
    The only negativity towards the giveaway has been generated from this group. Maybe you're right, some exclusion should be made...
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    The only negativity towards the giveaway has been generated from this group. Maybe you're right, some exclusion should be made...
    You mean your cooking buds didn't complain about all of the goodies they received?  There's a shock.  
  • pgprescott
    Options
    Another yipper! He’s dressed in his collared shirt for work. Now John, that’s not quite dookie blue. Maybe it faded a bit last time you washed it. Off you go now. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    What is facebook?
    It's a platform for shameless self-promotion, basically.  
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    What is facebook?
    It's a platform for shameless self-promotion, basically.  

For once I agree with you!!!  Spot on!
  • pgprescott
    Options
    You mean your cooking buds didn't complain about all of the goodies they received?  There's a shock.  
    I hope SRF sends you a bunch of free product after you guys mercilessly shook them down publicly on this forum. Yep you sir are a beacon of integrity. If you had a hair on your a**, you’d insist on paying for whatever you receive. You won’t. Shameful! 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    If someone on the forum or at BGE HQ could arrange for some smarter or slightly more talented trolls, I'd really appreciate it.  I'm just talking for me personally.  Thanks in advance!  
  • Focker
    Options
    Another yipper! He’s dressed in his collared shirt for work. Now John, that’s not quite dookie blue. Maybe it faded a bit last time you washed it. Off you go now. 
    LOL
    His hat brings it all together, another cute yipper pic.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• pgprescott
    Options
    If someone on the forum or at BGE HQ could arrange for some smarter or slightly more talented trolls, I'd really appreciate it.  I'm just talking for me personally.  Thanks in advance!  
    It’s a faint cry for help! I mean a yip for help, my bad. Truth is hurtful I guess. Sorry. 
  • veewt
    veewt Posts: 50
    Options
    Griffin said:

It was epic. 

Those were some good times.  Truly a couple life times ago.  I learned a lot about Chinese proxy servers.  Happy Holidays Everyone.  Your president is shitballs insane.