Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

'Cold' smoking cheese test run

Options
I have been wanting to run the egg at very low temps to smoke Cheese and maybe some fish down the way.  Did lots of research and here is run #2 as the 1st one was really only half hearted and the cheese melted right through.  Since I live in the heart of Texas you dont get the chance to do this as often and after the snow this week I found an afternoon with 65 degrees and went for it.

1. Emptied out the egg completely.

2. Used just two fist sized lumps of coal and used the Gasser to get them lit.

3. Put in a #10 tin can (once held tomatoes) and added apple chips on top.  I had already done a burnout run on the can and have 4 holes in the bottom for air flow.

4. Set up PSWoo with two half stones and tray of ice

We do this with cups in the freezer so the kids athletic jugs dont take all the ice so I saved some up and broke them in half so it would fit under the grate

5. Added Cheese to rack- just grabbed an inexpensive Sharp and Mozzarella so if this failed I would only be out $6

Ran perfectly (except I had to add more chips as I under estimated how quick they would burn)
https://youtu.be/4p03DxuTHhI

6. Final product- now wrapped in Saran Wrap in fridge for a day or two to mellow.  Wife had some of the Mozzarella on some nice bread right away and she wasnt sure.

XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 

Comments

• MattBTI
    MattBTI Posts: 417
    Options
    Check out the amazin smoking tube sometime. There's another brand on amazon that's less expensive too.  Here's the link: 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072J38RJB/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2M7EDCV9D6HPH&psc=1
    Pratt, KS
  • EggMcMic
    EggMcMic Posts: 340
    Options
    +1 for the a-maze-in smoker tube or tray. I find that it works well for me. Never have to worry about running out of chips and it contributes minimal heat.

Regarding the cheese itself, I like it, my wife doesn't. Parents and cousins like it, others don't. If you like it then keep making it and have fun.
    EggMcMcc
    Central Illinois
    First L BGE July 2016, RecTec, Traeger, Weber, Campchef
    Second BGE, a MMX, February 2017
    Third BGE, another large, May, 2017
    Added another griddle (BassPro) December 2017
  • MO_Eggin
    MO_Eggin Posts: 282
    Options
    Your cheese looks good.  I suggest giving it at least two weeks for the smoke to mellow.   Waiting is the hardest part . . .  
    LBGE - St. Louis, MO; MM & LBGE - around 8100' somewhere in the CO Front Range
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,112
    Options
    MattBTI said:
    Check out the amazin smoking tube sometime. There's another brand on amazon that's less expensive too.  Here's the link: 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072J38RJB/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2M7EDCV9D6HPH&psc=1
    I have seen that and the rectangular one.  Trying to test the idea out before I went and got 'yet another eggcessory'.  The process was fine I just completely missed on the chips burn time.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    You need to let it rest for 2 weeks before eating it. It tastes like an ashtray the day you smoke it. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • vb4677
    vb4677 Posts: 686
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Congrats on the cheese experiment! 

Here's how I improved my cheese game... and +1 for waiting a couple of weeks and +1 for the A-Maze-N smoker tray.  I've since made one more 'improvement'  - I took my CGS spider and put a piece of foil across the circle to create a heat shield, as I had 2 blocks on the bottom rack got too hot as they were directly over the burning pellets. I simply inverted the spider and had plenty of room for all the racks of solidified bovine juice.  Oh, and while that's smoking, I spend that time getting the vacuum seal bags ready to go...

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1209414/level-upped-my-cheese-game-pic-heavy#latest
    Kansas City: Too Much City for One State - Missouri side
    2 Large BGE's, Instant Pot, Anova Sous Vide, and a gas smoker...
    Barbeque, Homebrew and Blues...
  • sheetmetalpete
    Options
    I got my cheese on yesterday too.

Everything is vacuum sealed.  I'll try a block Saturday.
    Glencoe, Minnesota
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    I don't use the egg, too insulated.  I don't want to hold the heat in, so I use my gasser in the winter.  I use a smoke tube, and put it under a plate setter and a stone to keep the heat away from the cheese.  I use apple pellets, works fantastic.  It was about 20 degrees out when I did these.  They're sealed up waiting for Christmas.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Plus one on the tray.  Save the water and make smoked ice cubes for whiskey, or bloody marys.  Pizza screens work well for cheese smoking.  Cut cheese blocks into smaller chunks for a more consistent smoke.  Try throwing some salt on a tray - great for some recipes.  I let cheese rest for a couple hours after smoking, then into zip lock backs for a few days, then foodsaver for at least 4-6 weeks. (learn from my mistake and always label).  I agree with @cookingdude555, if you have a less efficient cooker, I'd cold smoke in that - a weber kettle works great.

Lots of opinions and techniques - i always pick up a new idea on these threads.
    Phoenix