Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Help Needed ASAP!

pgar171
pgar171 Posts: 11
I have cooked plenty of brisket over the past couple of years.  Never had this happen.  I have 24 people coming over for my office party at 6pm.  Put a 14 lb and 16 lb prime brisket on my XL last night about 11:30.  I was expecting it to take 16 to 18 hours at 225.  controlled by the cyberq cloud.  got it stabilized and went to sleep.  Apparently, the two briskets hit 200 degrees within a few minutes of each other around 3:30 am.  and the cyberq put itself into warm mode since then.  I got up at 6:30 to check on it and they were both 205 degree and probed like butter and nice crispy bark.

Now what do I do with them until the 6pm party time?  It is 7:30 am right now.  I took them out, tented them and will let them sit for the next hour or so.  I am thinking I will let them rest for an hour and a half or so and then refrigerate? and warm up just before the party.  Suggestions Please?

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    edited December 2017
    I would find a pan for each of them.  Place on a rack inside the pan with some beef broth in the pan below the rack level; tightly foil and in your oven on your lowest setting.  (My low level point is 170*F).  Then bring them out a few minutes prior to slicing on demand; remove from the pan and have at it.
    If you have to transfer them to the party site, just pull from the pan, tightly wrap in foil and into a warmed cooler for the ride.  
    Just an option...
    Edit:  good save by the electronics.  Your bark will likely suffer some in the foiled pan.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    I had an early finish a while back. I FTC’ed for several hours and then put in the oven on the lowest setting for a few hours then back to FTC. I just alternated until it was time to eat. No liquid added. Turned out to be one of my best briskets. 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    Yep.  You have 2 options.  

1) Wrap in foil and keep it above 140 all day.  The risk of this is drying out.  That's why the beef broth tip from @lousubcap is pretty important if you choose this.  If you do this, the lower the temperature (but above 140) the better.

2) Wrap, refrigerate, and re-warm.  I've done this with good results.   275 for 90 minutes got it warm enough to slice and serve and it was still moist.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• lousubcap said:
    I would find a pan for each of them.  Place on a rack inside the pan with some beef broth in the pan below the rack level; tightly foil and in your oven on your lowest setting.  (My low level point is 170*F).  Then bring them out a few minutes prior to slicing on demand; remove from the pan and have at it.
    If you have to transfer them to the party site, just pull from the pan, tightly wrap in foil and into a warmed cooler for the ride.  
    Just an option...
    Edit:  good save by the electronics.  Your bark will likely suffer some in the foiled pan.
    This is a good option for sure.  I’ve used this before and it works like a champ.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    200 in 4 hours?  Something isn’t right, you may need to calibrate your thermometer 

• this was the cook.  I thought it might me a thermometer issue, but it tracks well with the dome thermometer.  Also, I have never had a problem before.

• kweitz
    kweitz Posts: 305
    How in the world did 30 lbs of beef finish that quickly?

Charles Town, West-by-God Virginia

Sazco large Casa-Q

Large BGE

• To me that looks like a classic stall.  Did you check the temp in a few spots with something like a thermapen?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • They’re not done. Sorry. 
  • I checked in in several spots and it probed like butter and was over 200 degrees.  I let it sit and it passed the taste and texture test as well.  didn't dig into the point but the point was sliding off the flat because it was so tender.  
  • Then I retract my statement. They’re done but your tracking device and egg are both about 100 degrees off.

Ive never heard of a 14lb finishing in 1/2 pp at 225. Especially 225 dome. That’s like cooking at 200. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    @pgar171 - "Believe your indications" and you did.  As you note, the brisket finish-line is the feel.  Reads like you had it and called it.  Enjoy the awaiting banquet.  Remember, to only slice on demand as it will dry out before your eyes.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,410
    Technology saved you.  I don't have any tech on my egg.  I would have been in trouble!  Never seen this happen before.  What was the internal temp of the brisket when you pulled them from the boiling water?  :smile:
      I kid. I kid.  We will all like to see pics of the slicing if it isn't too weird in front of guests.
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Thanks guys.  I decided soon after posting this to refrigerate and plan to reheat for the party.  All my other brisket leftovers have always been great.  I did not slice yet.  I will do it on demand as @lousubcap recommended.  Internal temp when I pulled it at 6:30 am was 205.
  • Do post a picture after slicing if you can.
    Gittin' there...
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    stompbox said:
    200 in 4 hours?  Something isn’t right, you may need to calibrate your thermometer 
    Sorry...not seeing how that much meat cooked in 4 hours.   I've cooked a few too and never had one done in less than 12 hours at 260 pit temp with the exception of the one that Santa cooked when he borrowed my Egg to make one for the Easter Bunny. 
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • My first thought was maybe the device was set to celsius instead of fahrenheit, but your dome temp was as it should be and the food temps would have been screwy. Really strange. Good luck with the reveal.
    Stillwater, MN
  • All, the food was fabulous.  Warmed up at 275 for 90 minutes.  Rave reviews by all.  Nothing left but about a pound of chopped brisket left over from 27 people.The bark was amazing and the star of the show.  I don't think it would have been that way if I had tried to keep it warm until the party.  We started to eat a full 12 hours after they came off the egg.  It rested for 1 and a half hours after it came off the egg and went straight into the fridge.  I took it out at 5 pm to be served at 6:30 after being warmed up in an oven at 275 for 90 minutes.  Thank you @foghorn for the recommendation.  The only thing is that the bottom of the brisket was a bit tough, but some of the people loved that part. To each their own.  So yes my friends, 30 lbs of prime brisket was done in a little over 4 hours and was saved by the cyberQ.  I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes.         
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Like I just told "The Dude", with brisket it mostly matters taking it off when it's done, how you get there doesn't matter as much. Looks and sound good, nice work.
    Way to bring it home.  Congrats on the success.  
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    Great work.  I'm glad my words were helpful.  

Pay it forward as we all do here.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• pgar171
    pgar171 Posts: 11
    Didn't have another cook until this past week.  Did a 17.5 pound brisket.  Set for 235 degrees.  Done in 14 hours controlled by my cyberq cloud.  Perfect.  Used same source for the brisket, Prime, from Bolners in San Antonio.  Clearly not the probes.  Turned out great.  the 30 pounds must have been a fluke
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,523
    I'm just confused by the time/temp math from the original comment.

How the who?
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga