Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

sausage making questions/tips

Options
2»

Comments

• 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    #12 Big Bite and 20# Motorized Stuffer ...takes up some space

I hate coming in 2nd place in a d&*k measuring contest (3rd after Mike gets his #12).
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    edited December 2017
    Options
     20stone said:
    lkapigian said:
    #12 Big Bite and 20# Motorized Stuffer ...takes up some space

I hate coming in 2nd place in a d&*k measuring contest (3rd after Mike gets his #12).
    I won't be buying anything until after the holidays, so you're still the first loser (for now). =) I am also looking at the 15# manual stuffer and 25# tilt mixer. The motorized stuffer is a budget killer. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    LEM #12.  Its the smallest of the bigs and can handle pretty much everything i throw at it.  I use it for making hamburger from brisky and short rib meat, and for grinding pork shoulder into sausage

Started with kitchen aid attachment but spent more time unwinding the sinew from the blade than actually grinding meat.   LeM goes right through it.   It also accepts all attachments... mixer, patty maker, jerky attach, juicer etc that lem makes and the big bite design makes  a big difference when grinding , esp large batches.....

The ha rbor freight model costs a lot less and from what  ive seen here it looks like a good value

If you are running major production get the biggest lem model ,  i grind meatb5x a year max and when i do, its significant amount as in 20 lbs at a time minimum....
  • 20stone
    Options
    LEM #12. 
    Now I've got the bronze medal until Mike pulls the trigger at Christmas, and then off the podium.  I may need one of those Swedish pump thingies.
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • westernbbq
    Options
    20stone said:
    LEM #12. 
    Now I've got the bronze medal until Mike pulls the trigger at Christmas, and then off the podium.  I may need one of those Swedish pump thingies.
    The size of the pen doesnt matter...its how you sign your name!
  • CarolinaQ
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    @CanadianAnvil @Carolina Q are your casings dry packed in salt or a salt brine? Dry packed can benefit from a very long soak , the ones I get are in a brine. I may flush and soak an hour or so...these things last forever so don't think its a shelf life issue ( unless you've had them forever) mine never see direct heat, o,my indirect , cook to an IT 155 to 160 and they pop just fine...
    Yes mine are dry packed and my understanding was the same as yours, as long as they stay packed in salt and refrigerated they should last forever. My last batch I probably only soaked the casings for about 30-40 minutes. I'll try an overnight soak with a few good rinses and report back. Thanks for the info. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    20stone said:
    LEM #12. 
    Looks like you brought breakfast links to a Kielbasa contest
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • CanadianAnvil
    Options
    I've found that a Hank will do about 100lbs. 
  • CanadianAnvil
    Options
    I have a #8 and am very happy with it. I think that if I had a 12 or a 22 I would still cube up about the same size as I do now as when I'm boning out or trimming up cuts it just works out that way. 
    I may change my mind if I was butchering on alot more often bases then the three market hogs I did this year or if I was doing a moose or something like that. 

Steve
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Holy Mother of God. I just noticed your sig now includes a dishwasher. 

I'm so jelly that I'm pissed. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • 20stone
    Options
    My girl is a trigger puller. I heard they have two so you can still make it happen. There was a conspiracy afoot, and I hadn’t even dropped any hints. 
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 686
    Options
    I had a friend that bought the LEM #32. He made two hogs into nothing but sausage a year. It ground the meat way faster than I could even get it in. Way overkill for what he was doing.
  • CanadianAnvil
    Options
    It would be, (I do have grinder envy though). A 12 I think is the best. I've never ran out of power with my 8 but I have left some stuff big enough that I had to push it down the neck till it grabbed it. But I really feel that if I had a bigger grinder I would leave trimmings even bigger and be right back to pushing it down the neck. 
    I looked at a 22 the last time I was in Cabela's and it had a neck bigger than my fist, it looked like you could drop a whole pork loin in the top. 
  • 20stone
    Options
    Elijah said:
    I had a friend that bought the LEM #32. He made two hogs into nothing but sausage a year. It ground the meat way faster than I could even get it in. Way overkill for what he was doing.
    Did he even take the bones out?

With all these #xx grinders in use, I feel like an F1 driver, driving for Haas... just trying to scratch out a finish in the points (in the proverbial d$%$ measuring contest).

In my baby grinder's defense (a LEM #8), it did mow through >160 lbs of sausage over the last several days.
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,760
    Options
    20stone said:
    Elijah said:

With all these #xx grinders in use, I feel like an F1 driver, driving for Haas... just trying to scratch out a finish in the points (in the proverbial d$%$ measuring contest).

In my baby grinder's defense (a LEM #8), it did mow through >160 lbs of sausage over the last several days.
    I ground an awful lot of meat with my Harbor Freight Grinder with 0 issues...and I see guys cranking out massive amounts with a hand grinder- The #8 LEM is a very nice grinder
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • 20stone
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    20stone said:
    Elijah said:

I ground an awful lot of meat with my Harbor Freight Grinder with 0 issues...and I see guys cranking out massive amounts with a hand grinder- The #8 LEM is a very nice grinder
    We banged out a lot with a KA grinder attachment, but the KA started making funny sounds (so much so that @20stonespice recently replaced it.

I am going to replace (or have replaced) the gears and give it to one of our kids.

(now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    20stone said:
    Elijah said:

I am sure the #8 would be just fine for me, but I usually go one step up to help prevent buyers' remorse. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    This is what it felt like at times
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Miked125
    Miked125 Posts: 481
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the help! The sausage turned out pretty good and some definite lessons learned. I was mostly doing it myself and found stuffing the sausage the most difficult part. I was using the attachment that came with the grinder I bought, it worked okay. I think a sausage gun might be easier to use myself in the future.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,760
    Options
    Miked125 said:
    Thanks everyone for the help! The sausage turned out pretty good and some definite lessons learned. I was mostly doing it myself and found stuffing the sausage the most difficult part. I was using the attachment that came with the grinder I bought, it worked okay. I think a sausage gun might be easier to use myself in the future.
    Awesome @Miked125 like to see your results...IMO you will like a Manual Stuffer VS a Gun. You can get into one @ a reasonable cost
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • 20stone
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    ...IMO you will like a Manual Stuffer VS a Gun. You can get into one @ a reasonable cost
    +1 on getting the manual stuffer
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • Miked125
    Miked125 Posts: 481
    Options
    20stone said:
    lkapigian said:
    ...IMO you will like a Manual Stuffer VS a Gun. You can get into one @ a reasonable cost
    +1 on getting the manual stuffer
    Thanks, will look into it! Any recommendations?
  • 20stone
    Options
    LEM makes nice stuff, though I have this one:
    http://www.alliedkenco.com/stuffer-crank-15lb.aspx (@20stonespice liked how beefy it its)

A 15 lb stuffer takes up a little more space than a 5 lb, but makes doing bigger batches much easier.  Like with most butchery related stuff, ease of cleaning is a key design element to check in reviews.

I have not tried an electric one (cranks with a foot pedal), but haven't seen the need since sausage making is a group effort in the Graj Mahal.

(now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    Miked125 said:
    Go to Princess Auto and get a manual. I went through a couple different ones and it was the best/easiest for the price.
    And you can trust me because this is what I'm drinking as I type this.

Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • westernbbq
    Options
    gmac said:
    Miked125 said:
    Go to Princess Auto and get a manual. I went through a couple different ones and it was the best/easiest for the price.
    And you can trust me because this is what I'm drinking as I type this.

Piston driven cannister stuffer works best for me....ive tried others and the old school hand crank has been easiest for me to use
  • mlc2013
    mlc2013 Posts: 988
    Options
    sorry to jump/Hijack your thread @Miked125 , I to am starting to make my own sausage as well, and was borrowing a friends machine, but im in the market for my own; looks like I've narrowed down the grinder to the LEM #8 .5hp model 1779 and the Cabelas Carnivore Commercial Grade .75hp model IK-541553. Im thinking of the Lem mighty Bite 5lb model 1606SS,no others I saw does anyone have any recommendations. As for Vacuum Sealers I have it narrowed down to LEM Maxvac Pro+ Chamber model 1250 or the VacMaster VP215. Does anyone own these that can recommend or discourage, and does anyone have any other recommendations. 
    Long Island NY    
    1 XL BGE 12/17, 1 LG BGE 3/18, 1 MM BGE 3/18
  • danguba78
    Options
    mlc2013 said:
    the LEM #8 .5hp model 1779

I have this one.  I've been very pleased with it (although it's my first grinder and I have no basis of comparison).  In fact, I ran 23 pounds of pork butt through it this morning (upcoming sausage party), and it went through it all like a dream.  
    Bridgeport, Chicago, IL
    XLBGE, MiniMax BGE