Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I Need Your Smoked Green Bean Recipes

Options
Bottom Line Up Front: Please post a smoked green bean recipe. 

Before I start, I realize that y’all have been the K&G therapy group for 2017. Don’t send me a bill, I will store it with the Pottery Barn catelogs in the garage trash can. 

We lost (yet again) another great American last weekend. A guy in my Veterans group was struggling with some stuff and made a permanent decision to a terrible problem. 

He was built like the Jolly Green Giant, and all of his Marine buddies called him Green Bean. 

I am hosting a memorial dinner and I need a knock your socks off smoked green bean recipe. It’s out of my wheel house but I know we have some guys who would smoke a mesquite branch if they could so let’s have it. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

Comments

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,618
    Options
    I'm sorry, that just sucks.

I don't know if I got the link right, but we do this for the big holiday dinners.  I have wanted to smoke this but have been denied permission, I just need to try it on a regular weekend, but I know it would be great. I would put them in a foil pan and smoke for 20 min or so, then stir in the mushroom soup and maybe add a little more time.  Don't buy Campbell's, get a decent mushroom soup - I think we used Pacific brand last time.  It makes a difference.  Cut down on the time the beans cook in the pot if you want to increase the smoke time.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/2236123#Comment_2236123
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    Options
    This is what you need Adam. From Peg Leg in Nashville 

http://thelocalpalate.com/recipes/smoked-green-beans/
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your comrade.  Such a shame and a huge loss.   These recipes all look great.  I would have not add that if you can SV the beans before, it enhances their flavor big time.  You can do that the day before 183 for 1hr-1 hr 15mins
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Killit_and_Grillit Posts: 4,326
    edited December 2017
    Options
    thetrim said:
    Sorry to hear about your comrade.  Such a shame and a huge loss.   These recipes all look great.  I would have not add that if you can SV the beans before, it enhances their flavor big time.  You can do that the day before 183 for 1hr-1 hr 15mins
    @thetrim The suicide epidemic in our Armed Forces is appalling. No matter what we do we just can't seem to get ahead of the curve on it. My old Battalion alone has lost as many to suicide as we did in Afghanistan (which is saying a lot considering we were mounted with those 101st bullet magnets from Ft Campbell)

Hmm...I haven't tried the sous vide. I literally haven't gotten mine out of the box yet to learn with it. Life has been a $hit show this month new baby and a weekly funeral. I bet I could get a lot done at once that way as well.

@DoubleEgger I am curious to try those Peg Leg Porker ones. We tried them when @northGAcock was in Nashville and they were poppin! 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    @Killit_and_Grillit I'm sorry for the loss of your friend. This is one of those situations where I am at a loss for how to help in any meaningful way. I have the greatest respect for the service of these men and women. I know there is a huge problem and I never know what to do. I did not serve so I have no idea what they are going through. We have a wounded warrior in our church who does a lot of work with troubled veterans. I think many folks in this country are like me - they would volunteer to do something, but we really don't know what we can do.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    edited December 2017
    Options
    It was late last night when I originally responded and didn’t read past the initial bottom line request. I’m terribly sorry to hear about this Veteran. Far too often, the demons of war come home with the soldier. Thoughts and prayers are with his family, friends, and his fellow servicemen/women
  • roadie77
    Options
    Sorry about your loss.

I got this recipe from the BGE Thanksgiving 2017 Class at HQ.  It was the best thing they served in my opinion.  I did it at Thanksgiving and everyone dug it.

2 lbs of fresh green beans.  (Cut the ends off and half them.  They cook better that way)
    10.75 oz can condensed cream of mushroom soup
    cup of crispy bacon
    4oz cream cheese
    6oz can French Fried Onions
    Cup shredded Cheddar Cheese

Indirect @ 350

Place green beans and soup in cast iron Dutch oven and bake for 15 to 20 minutes.

Stir in 1/2 cup of cheese and the cream cheese and heat mixture for 10 minutes.

Sprink with French Fried Onions and remaining cheese.

Let it sit in there until the cheese melts and the onions begin to brown.  Around 15 minutes.

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Catching up on my reading. Adam, a $hit sandwich you have been fed right there. My heart goes out to you and his family.  Hang in there my friend. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,761
    Options
    No recipe but just want to say sorry for your and this Nation's loss
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Sorry for your loss Adam, I do not have a recipe for you.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Sorry for your loss.  I can only imagine your friend must have been going through a lot to do this.  All the best to you and his family.
    Phoenix