Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My Experimental Dessert

Options
NPHuskerFL
NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
edited November 2017 in EggHead Forum
"Yard to table Pear & Orange Crisp"
Oranges (Satsuma) from our oldest tree...I believe it's been in our yard 18 years now and it was 10 years old when I bought it. So yeah a 28 year old Orange tree. And it's loaded up this year less what was sacrificed during Irma. 
Pears (Kieffer) from our tree that's about 15 years old. Originally planted from basically a twig that we got from National Arbor Day Foundation in Omaha, NE. Tree was loaded up but, after Irma we were only left with 5 pears. 
Decided to make a crisp desert. Ingredients were on the fly. But, I did mentally log what measurements of each. 
1C APF
3/4C packed brown sugar. I used light and dark because I didn't have enough of each on hand :LoL: but, either would be fine
1/3C Florida turbinado sugar (or Suagar in the Raw)
3/4C Old Fashioned Oats
3/4C Halved Pecans
1tsp ground cinnamon
1/2tsp nutmeg
1 stick cold unsalted butter
3 oranges sectioned and deseeded
2-3 pears (I used one but, these are gargantuan pears) peeled, cored and cut into small cubes

Mix dry ingredients. Cut in cold butter until crumbly. Combine the crumbled mixture with fruit reserving a quarter of the crumbly mix to top with. In a greased cast iron skillet evenly place in the fruit crumble mix and then top with remaining crumble reserve. 
Egg preheat 400 indirect setup
Bake approximately 45 minutes to 1 hour. I rotated my skillet halfway into the cook. Enjoy hot or cold with a scoop of ice cream and a drizzle of bourbon caramel.
Thoughts...This variety of pear would've benefited by frying in a pan to soften prior to baking. A Riviera, Bosc or other soft variety of pear wouldn't have needed this extra softening. 

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL

Comments