Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

probably going to get flamed...but turkey ONCE a year is WONDERFUL - but WARM leftovers - suck!

RRP
RRP Posts: 25,880
We even waited until tonight - 3 nights after the big feast on Thursday. I oh so carefully warmed all the left overs and I still hate them! - BUT I loved the meal HOT and FRESH on TGD! I always have to carry home all the separate dishes of this and that! Just give me a COLD turkey sandwich with mayo, lettuce and salt on white bread and I'm a happy camper! 

NOTE TO SELF...sandwiches next year PERIOD!!!
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,265
    I ate turkey sandwiches day after with all cold ingredients only. I would never heat turkey back up.
    Mountain View, CA
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

I'm with you on the turkey Ron.  I like the entire meal heated up again, but will substitute cold turkey while everyone else has it warm.  

Phoenix 
  • bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    I understand Ron.  I smoked ribs to avoid the leftover turkey. 

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• I'm with you Ron.  In addition to your sammich ingredients, add some cracked black pepper and tomato on my sammich, please.
    Flint, Michigan
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,128
    I decided this year was the last year I’m eating turkey. I’d rather eat spatchcock yardbird or ham. 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,326
    I avoid the whole leftover turkey problem by never cooking a turkey to start with. Never been a fan of turkey.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• We all have our bugaboos, but all this turkey bashing is pure blasphemy.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Ron did you use your sv to reheat?  I tend to agree with you about left over turkey to this year I used my sv and I was very happy with the leftovers. 
  • Turkey sandwiches are the only way to eat leftover turkey in my opinion.  Turkey just doesn’t warm up as well as one would hope. 
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • Ron did you use your sv to reheat?  I tend to agree with you about left over turkey to this year I used my sv and I was very happy with the leftovers. 
    Yep.  That’s the way to go for sure.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Love the turkey throw down thread
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Turkey pot pie here.
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Turkey carcass soup here. 
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    I only reheat turkey 2 ways; open faced sandwich slathered with leftover gravy or soup.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Turkey sandwiches on waffle stuffing! To make waffle stuffing just get your waffle maker and spray with Pam, brush with oil or whatever you want. Get the waffle maker hot, put your stuffing in and let it cook. You get nice crispy stuffing that makes for great sandwich bread or a excellent platform to top off with your leftover turkey and gravy.
    Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Hot Browns are what you do with leftover turkey and gravy.  This does not suck.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Mom and I enjoyed a complete rerun of thanksgiving dinner, reheated in her microwave. It was delicious. Same as it is every year. 

Nobody makes pot pie? I don't care for it, but I'm surprised no one has mentioned it. Doesn't take care of the sides, but at least the bird doesn't go to waste. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Mom and I enjoyed a complete rerun of thanksgiving dinner, reheated in her microwave. It was delicious. Same as it is every year. 

Nobody makes pot pie? I don't care for it, but I'm surprised no one has mentioned it. Doesn't take care of the sides, but at least the bird doesn't go to waste. 
    I like pot-pie, SWMBO hates it.  I chalk it up to childhood experience.  Needless to say, not something I make for both of us.  Blake and a few people posted their leftover pies here.

• Nobody makes pot pie? I don't care for it, but I'm surprised no one has mentioned it. Doesn't take care of the sides, but at least the bird doesn't go to waste. 
    We often make it and I love it with Thanksgiving leftovers.  The smoked turkey really kicks it up a notch.  
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Before everyone flames Ron, let's all agree that opinions and taste are personal, and we should all take them at face value:  I like the color black.  He likes the color blue.  There is no right or wrong with preferences or thought.  You think what you think, you like what you like.  

Opinions can never be wrong, unless you lie about them, and ain't much sense in doing that, unless you're just trolling.  Or you are a spy.  Or if you try to belong to a group you don't agree to, or, hell, for any other myriad of reasons.  In this case, and most - that's just what you like.  (disclaimer - you are a product of learned taste, culture and familiarity)  No judgement required or wanted.

We live in a free country and not everyone has the luxury to express themselves.  So let's embrace our freedom of expression.  Some things are controversial, like cold vs hot turkey leftovers.  Or who loves or hates America. 

Peace out with your leftovers out.

Now it's cyber Monday, spend some money and support the economy and all the Chinese children that make our consumer goods.

I Love Lamp
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • nolaegghead
    I made empanadas - turkey, gravy and stuffing
    family like the twist on leftovers 
    Northern New Jersey
     XL - Woo2, AR      L (2) - Woo, PS Woo     MM (2) - Woo       MINI

Check out https://www.grillingwithpapaj.com for some fun and more Grilling with Papa (incase you haven't gotten enough of me)

Also, check out my YouTube Page
    https://www.youtube.com/c/grillingwithpapaj

Follow me on Facebook 
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingPapaJ/

• nolaegghead
    60% of the time, cold turkey works every time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ccp-lEmoAE

have about 7 quarts of turkey bone soup in ziplocks frozen, nothing wrong with reheated turkey or freezer burn soup =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • have about 7 quarts of turkey bone soup in ziplocks frozen, nothing wrong with reheated turkey or freezer burn soup =)
    I’m honestly just surprised you don’t freeze boiled water so that you’ll have it ready when you need it.
  • Rte1985
    Rte1985 Posts: 304
    I got nominated to do the turkey this year and everyone said it was the best they had which was a nice compliment for sure but there was zero leftovers!  I actually love a cold turkey sandwich with warm dressing on top.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    have about 7 quarts of turkey bone soup in ziplocks frozen, nothing wrong with reheated turkey or freezer burn soup =)
    I’m honestly just surprised you don’t freeze boiled water so that you’ll have it ready when you need it.
    with all the frozen toast(reheats easily in a toaster) not much room for  the frozen boiled water
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    edited November 2017
    Lots easier to store dehydrated water.

I've no problem with reheated turkey, dressing, or gravy.  Sadly, green bean casserole needs to be fresh, and that's one of my favorite parts of the meal.

Mom always chopped up the leftover turkey, and threw it in a pot with a can of Ro-Tel tomatoes and chiles, and a block of Velveeta, which we folded into flour tortillas.  Not something I'd make nowadays, but it was a favorite when I was a kid.

And, to bring it all in perspective, along with a fistful of parasitic worms, the SK doctors also found, in the stomach of the NK defector, uncooked field corn.  "Oh" (his only known name) said their superiors encouraged them to steal the corn from local farmers.  And the military have it better than the civilians.
    Dayam.   :o

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure