Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lump in California

I have a friend who is a new Egg owner is California.  He is asking me to recommend what lump to buy.  He can't get Wicked Good or Rockwood.  Any suggestions?  Thank you in advance.  :)
Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,942
    Royal Oak, just let it burn off longer.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Is he near an Ace Hardware? Kamado Joe lump is great, comparable to WGWW.
  • jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Depends on what part of Cali he is in. Here in the Central Valley it's RO at any Home Depot. Lowes has frontier, don't much care for it myself. You can find Cowboy or Best of the West also. But I order RO
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Thank you!  San Jose area, Los Gatos, Saratoga...
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    Take a family trip to AZ and pick up some Rockwood.... other then that order from Firecraft  I'm down to two pallets of OO so i'm getting nervous 
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    smbishop said:
    Thank you!  San Jose area, Los Gatos, Saratoga...
    Kamado Joe lump is really good stuff.

Look for a Kamado Joe Roadshow at an area Costco. The prices for Kamado Joe stuff at those are excellent. Prices may vary a bit nationwide but recently you can buy two twenty pound bags for $30.

You can check the Roadshow schedules here: http://www.costco.com/kamado-joe-schedule.html
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,942
    McStew said:
    Take a family trip to AZ and pick up some Rockwood.... other then that order from Firecraft  I'm down to two pallets of OO so i'm getting nervous 
    I don't think Firecraft can sell rockwood to californians.  Has to do with labeling requirements for California.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • 55Kevy
    55Kevy Posts: 234
    I went to Firecraft's website and no, they don't ship RW to CA.  I order Fogo thru Amazon, last bag was 35# for about $43 - not cheap, but I got fed up with RO when 1/4 of the bag would fall thru the grate.

Kevin

Beautiful Santa Ynez Valley, CA
    XL BGE, Woo2, AR

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    McStew said:
    I don't think Firecraft can sell rockwood to californians.  Has to do with labeling requirements for California.
    Nope, sorry.......Prop 65.  Too much legal BS to go through when there are 49 other states that don't require it.  Maybe one day.

But if you take delivery of it in another state, we can't stop you from taking it into CA.  We just can't sell it or ship it there. 
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Lazzari
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    McStew said:
    Nope, sorry.......Prop 65.  Too much legal BS to go through when there are 49 other states that don't require it.  Maybe one day.

But if you take delivery of it in another state, we can't stop you from taking it into CA.  We just can't sell it or ship it there. 
    That is exactly what I told him!  :)

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Hey, Scott, your friend lives in a cool area, love South Bay! 
    I'd recommend RO,  I've used it a lot.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • GaBGE
    GaBGE Posts: 556
    Move from Cal so yo can order RW
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    edited January 2016
    We carry 23 types of lump charcoal, have him come in our showroom and check them out.  Plenty of Wicked Good, not the best option IMO.  We're 5 miles from him.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• I have RW sent to me from a business in North Carolina when they send me pallets of product..... But don't tell anyone!!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Doesn't seem like Rockwood has a demand problem, so I don't blame them for prop 65 foot-dragging.
    Thanks everyone!
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,230
    Leave California
    New Albany, Ohio 

• eggnewtoy
    eggnewtoy Posts: 496
    Love Fogo
    BGE Large and MiniMax, Napolean 500.  Obsessed with rotisserie.  

• bobroo
    bobroo Posts: 143
    If a Californian BBQ'd and cut his grass while smoking a cigarette....I'm sure Netflix would have 10 more Making a Murderer episodes.

I think you are royally screwed.
    If it's brown, it's cook'in....If it's black, it's done ---my Grandfather     Medium BGE
  • jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    We carry 23 types of lump charcoal, have him come in our showroom and check them out.  Plenty of Wicked Good, not the best option IMO.  We're 5 miles from him.
    Smitty....where are you located? I'm about 3 hours from Bay Area and up there quite often. 
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • dukecush
    dukecush Posts: 11
    edited November 2017
    Thread revival.
    Just moved out to Northern CA from NJ. Yeah I know, not my doing to move out here. I thank the AF for that. I have read all threads regarding CA ridiculous Prop 65. Just wondering what the best lump you can find in CA is? Does anyone use anything besides Royal Oak and  Kamado Joe in CA. Used to use WG Jakes Blend before they stopped making it back east. Will probably make a drive out of state at some point to try and stock up on RW when I can assuming you can find it in say Reno or anywhere else just over border in NV. Thanks
    Large bge, Pennington, NJ
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

Rockwood is available for order from Ace now, or will be this week as I understand it.  You've missed one or two lump threads.

Phoenix 
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    I think we were the last hold out on Prop 65 compliance, but it's moreover the distribution.  Takes a lot more money and better distribution to get charcoal out of the Midwest, over the mountains, and out there for an affordable price.

But as someone said before, as of yesterday, we should be good to go in any Ace Hardware in California.  Just have them order SKU 8400772.....it should no longer be restricted, and they have 600 bags in the Sacramento warehouse as of last Wednesday.  The acehardware.com website ordering should be coming soon.
  • Just got my three bags of Rockwood delivered last week to Southern California from St Louis Charcoal.  Just followed the links in the On Line Ordering post in this forum. Happy and can't wait to try it out. 
  • Thank you all for updates. Yeah I must have missed the other lump threads recently but good to know Rockwood is now available out here.
    Large bge, Pennington, NJ
  • SJEgg
    SJEgg Posts: 7
    edited February 2018
    I buy the Big Green Egg lump coal here at Ace Hardware in Los Gatos, CA. My neighbor bitches and moans EVERY time I cook. I had to move my Egg > 50’ from the BBQ section next to my house and now next to my bedroom. I also have to text her each time I cook. And she still complains EVERY time. 
  • smbishop said:
    I have a friend who is a new Egg owner is California.  He is asking me to recommend what lump to buy.  He can't get Wicked Good or Rockwood.  Any suggestions?  Thank you in advance.  :)
    You can get Rockwood at any Ace (you may have to order it via their website, but at least for my local Ace they get 3 shipments a week so the wait isn't too bad). Otherwise I go to BBQs Galore for the BGE stuff. The other local places carry Cowboy or something worse (mesquite lump from Mexico that comes in 3,456 different sizes).
    Near San Francisco in California
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,265
    SJEgg said:
    I buy the Big Green Egg lump coal here at Ace Hardware in Los Gatos, CA. My neighbor bitches and moans EVERY time I cook. I had to move my Egg > 50’ from the BBQ section next to my house and now next to my bedroom. I also have to text her each time I cook. And she still complains EVERY time. 
    Sucks. Tried Rockwood?

Mountain View, CA