Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Your first concert

My son is 8 years old and really into music.  He has been playing drums for 3 years and is in a band with 2 other kids.  He's been dying to go see the Foo Fighters, so we are taking him Monday night for his first concert ever.  

Got me thinking...I love a good first concert story so what was yours?  Mine was Fleetwood Mac when I was about 16.  That's when I learned how good Lindsey Buckingham really is.  That dude can play.

Comments

• Poison, Bullet Boys, Lita Ford. Poison was the headliner.  Oct 1988. UTC Roundhouse. 
  • TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    Heart.  1979.  Spokane Coliseum. 
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Hmm. Maybe David Wilcox. But seeing the Foo's this summer. Gonna be fun 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

@theyolksonyou @TN_Egger

How the heck to you guys remember the year/month 29 and  39 years ago?

Phoenix 
  • Neil Young when I was 14, wasn’t sure what to make of it. Saw him a few times in my later years and loved it.
    Highland, MI

L BGE, Primo, and a KJ Jr
  • Amy Grant at Starwood in Nashville. 

I was in Elementary School. I had a boyhood crush. Your judgement will not change my belief that she is just stringing Vince Gill along until I can afford the lifestyle she is accustomed to  ;);)

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• @blasting if you must know, it was October 16, 1988 and we ate at Pizza Hut prior to the show. 
  • Chicago in about 1978.

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

(in the extreme western panhandle of NE)

• bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Black Sabbath Filmore West in Frisco. As soon as you walked in you got stoned from all joints burning. Not that we had any.  

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• Y&T 1982 or 83 Santa Clara ,CA
  • keener75
    keener75 Posts: 392
    My first was Neil Young, Pearl Jam, Sound Garden and Blues Travellers at Exhibition Stadium in Toronto early 90s.
    I took my 10 yr old son to his first this past summer to see Metallica at Rogers Centre in Toronto. 
    I would love to go back in time to appreciate how good Mr Young was in his prime! I just didn't get it at the time.
    St Marys, Ontario, Canada  LBGE
  • vb4677
    vb4677 Posts: 686
    Foghat, The Beach Boys and The Charlie Daniel's Band at Busch Stadium in St. Louis - Summer somewhere in the late '70's

Tell me that wasn't a stereotypical '70's high-rotation lineup, huh? 

Fool for the City to Devil Went Down to Georgia with some Good Vibrations thrown in...  

<shakes head in horrific disbelief >
    < shudders at the thought of boasting the light yellow t-shirt while all my friends had cool Journey and KISS baseball jerseys>
    <pours more bourbon...>
    Kansas City: Too Much City for One State - Missouri side
    2 Large BGE's, Instant Pot, Anova Sous Vide, and a gas smoker...
    Barbeque, Homebrew and Blues...
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    This is a great thread - the first concert I was supposed to go to was Elton John, circa 1976 in London. I screwed up something, and mom nixed the whole thing.

I ended up in Atlanta and first concert was Jethro Tull in 1979 - ironic i came to America to see Tull 
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Rainbow at Stafford Bingley Hall, 1981. Bingley Hall was at the county showground, basically a big barn.

@Boileregger Foo Fighters were at Glastonbury last year and the whole set was live on TV. It was a great show, they know how to entertain.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    edited November 2017
    I want to say it was Widespread Panic in high school. The concert was at a campground near a lake in the middle of a cornfield. My buddies were a little nervous about bringing a couple coolers of liquid courage into the campground. I remember walking through the entrance of the park and the first thing I see is a couch you would find in your living room with a guy smoking a 6' bong. I thought to myself, what did I just get myself into? There were drug dealers there all the way from NYC in a little bitty town of a few hundred people in the middle of nowhere. I swear it was the closest thing you could get to an underground Woodstock. Rumor has it the place was raided a few years later and probably for a good reason. It turns out not every concert you go to has people trying to sell you lsd and freebase. A crazy memory of my first concert anyways. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited November 2017
    Aug 6, 1996
    Pantera (Far Beyond Driven) and White Zombie (Astrocreep 2000)
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    Epic first show, in the pit the entire time for both.  At one point, Phil demanded the entire floor to be a pit...hurt for days following, but it was fun.  

My boys was Zac Brown Band, another great show, Aug 3, 2012 here in Moline, IL.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    My aunt and uncle took me to Elvis. 
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Can't quite remember. 1st concerts were local/regional groups, only recall 1 name, "Capt. Electric and the Flying Lapels." 1st by some one w. a record was a performance by the S.F. duet, "Friend & Lover," who had a song called "Reach out of the Darkness." Some of the band they were with were also in Moby Grape. 1st big name, the Chamber's Brothers, Oct '69. Great show. So much so that the audience rushed the stage, and the fire marshall shut the concert down early.

1st big name, not rock, Ravi Shankar and the Festival from India, 1968.
  • My first concert was one of the very first ozzfest. I think 97. Pantera, machine head, Black Sabbath, and many many others. Actually convinced my dad to let me skip school that day so I could attend the entire event. I was in 8th grade I think...looking back at it can’t believe I was able to simply be dropped off at the venue and left for the entire day at the crazy event that it was.

Brandon - Ohio

• TEH68
    TEH68 Posts: 62
    Judas Priest in the Omni in Atlanta when I was 16. 
    Large, Small & Mini. Marietta, GA Go DAWGS!!
  • My first concert was Guns n Roses when I was 12.  My wife and I just took our 4 year old son to his first concert which was the Foo Fighters in Richmond, Va a couple weeks ago.  He loved it up until he fell asleep!!!

Somewhere in central Pennsyltucky, not too far from Chocolatetown, USA.

If it's on the internet, it has to be true - Abraham Lincoln

• My first was Creedence Clearwater Revival back in 1968....
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,945
    Garth Brooks, June 3 1996.  Amazing concert.  Garth knows how to put on a show.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    "The Judds" Houston Live Stock Show and Rodeo mid 80s not sure of the exact year!
    Most concerts - CLUTCH.  Not even close. 
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • j giles band1972 ohio university cant remember much except I really enjoyed myself
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    bud812 said:
    Black Sabbath Filmore West in Frisco. As soon as you walked in you got stoned from all joints burning. Not that we had any.  
    Whatever you say, "Bud"....   ;)

First show I wanted to see was Atlanta Rhythm Section, ~1979.  A few years before that my folks took me to see Porter Wagoner and Dolly Parton.  That was cruel.   :s

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Dave Mason, Wet Willie and Hydra. Savannah GA....all general admission standing. Great times!
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    James Brown 1964. I was 15 and my girlfriend and I went with her older brother. You could count the white folks on one hand. He was awesome. 

The Who 1965 $2. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,945
    1st concert without parental involvement:

Cake/No Doubt/The Vandals.  August 1996.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Young People's Concert, conducted by Leonard Bernstein at the Lincoln Center in Washington D.C..  Never been to a rock concert.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys