Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT-Chicago

Options
13»

Comments

• JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    Options
    ksmyrl said:
    Oh yeah. The lobby of The Palmer House hotel was happening. Huge bar with really cool old school decor. 
    Love The Palmer House - stayed there 2 years ago when my wife ran the marathon.  Beautiful, classic hotel.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • Bill_Swerski
    Options
    so much to do, it's really hard to pick.  the restaurant scene here is really off the charts.  Lou Malnati's is definitely the tops for deep dish, and you can't go wrong with Bavette's.   assuming you have that on your calendar, I would recommend a couple spots for lunch / brunch.  

Au Cheval.  Unfortunately they don't take reservations, so if you want to do brunch there, you'll need to get there early and wait outside.  totally worth it though.

Summer House.  Great brunch / lunch spot, especially on a sunny day.

For things to do, Millennium park is also pretty cool.  The Second City suggestion is a good one.  The museums around here are pretty awesome too, if you're up for that (in order of most to least convenient, it would be the Art Institute, Field Museum, Shedd Aquarium, Planetarium, Museum of Science and Industry - my personal favorite).

I haven't done the architecture tour in probably 10 years.  I would just say that it's pretty late in the year for that.  sitting still on a boat moving down the river is going to make things feel way colder than the weather forecast would advertise.  If you insist on doing it, I would advise you to dress for weather 20 degrees colder than you expect.  Much better to take off gloves or shed a layer than to sit there shivering and miserable.
  • wbthomas
    Options
    Former college roommate lives in old town and the wife and I go visit a couple times a year.  I've always been partial to Pequod's for chicago deep dish, but all of them in TT are great.  
    I have to 2nd @20stone on swinging by the Spice House.  I at least walk by every time I'm there to just get a smell. 
    I haven't had Kuma's, but Au Cheval has a great burger and marrow app, but be there before the doors open or you won't get a seat.
    Last time we were there, he took us to Cafe Ba-BA-Reeba for Tapas and they were excellent. 
    Drinks at the top of the J.Parker and Cindy's I recommend as well. 

Little Rock, AR
    Large BGE
    MM
  • stonewh
    stonewh Posts: 169
    Options
    My buddy came through and got us a reservation at Bavettes for one night, the plan is to get our name on the list at Lou Malnatis (and wait) another night, so still up in the air for the other. We land shortly after 8 so are thinking we may try our luck at Girl and the Goat, we are fine with the bar if that is all available. He also recommended us going to 3 Arts Club Cafe for brunch one day, if anyone is familiar with that. We aren't really the type that likes an itinerary so will probably be winging it during the days. We will be adding Kaiser Tiger to the list for a beer too, maybe some curling. 
    Birmingham, AL
  • erniemcclain
    Options
    1.  Brown Bag Seafood Company.  2. Eataly.

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

(in the extreme western panhandle of NE)

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    ksmyrl said:
    Oh yeah. The lobby of The Palmer House hotel was happening. Huge bar with really cool old school decor. 
    For nearly 11 years I worked downstate Illinois for a bank with corp HQ down in the loop on Monroe. The first Monday of each month I had to attend a 9:00 meeting. I would drive up Sunday afternoon and stay at the Palmer House. Then that evening I would enjoy a nice steak dinner at that old school steak house on the company dime of course. 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    "Last time we were there, he took us to Cafe Ba-BA-Reeba for Tapas and they were excellent."

Indeed they are. Went with a dozen people, and by the end the small plates pt left us 3/4ths mobile.
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    stonewh said:
    My buddy came through and got us a reservation at Bavettes for one night, the plan is to get our name on the list at Lou Malnatis (and wait) another night, so still up in the air for the other. We land shortly after 8 so are thinking we may try our luck at Girl and the Goat, we are fine with the bar if that is all available. He also recommended us going to 3 Arts Club Cafe for brunch one day, if anyone is familiar with that. We aren't really the type that likes an itinerary so will probably be winging it during the days. We will be adding Kaiser Tiger to the list for a beer too, maybe some curling. 
    Kaiser Tiger is a good spot too.  The Bacon Grenades are killer.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,112
    Options
    +1 on Lou Malnattis- its my favorite.

Nice restaurants I have thoroughly enjoyed are-

Rosebud Steakhouse- i had the best meatloaf I have ever had here.
    http://www.rosebudrestaurants.com/restaurant/rosebud-steakhouse/

Volare- very good fine dining
    volarerestaurant.com

I am always there for work so I usually get to enjoy fine dining on someone elses dime.... but I never really have time to wander around.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • A_Smalltown_Egg
    Options
    Focker said:
    Anyone dine at Alinea?

Our Lift driver to Revolution was a chef at Gibson's.  Was a fun ride picking his gray matter in the backseat.

We fit 6 in a prius cab barhopping.  Being the big guy, I was gifted shotgun, 4 in the back. Lol
    I was at Alinea once with a visiting French winemaker, on his dime as a bonus. It was pretty spectacular.  The good is incredibly unique, interesting and delicious.  Service is spot on through out.  The wine pairings were fun and perfect.  They do not miss a beat from the time you pull up until you get into your car and I mean that literally...it was a vicious snow storm when we were there and without even having to mention my car by the time we left it was pulled up, warmed up and all of the windows cleaned.  All that being said, while I absolutely loved it and consider it one of the best dining experiences I have had I had no urge to go there again on any sort of a regular basis while places like Trotter's (when it was there), Naha, Tru I wanted to go to frequently.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Focker said:
    Anyone dine at Alinea?

Our Lift driver to Revolution was a chef at Gibson's.  Was a fun ride picking his gray matter in the backseat.

We fit 6 in a prius cab barhopping.  Being the big guy, I was gifted shotgun, 4 in the back. Lol
    I was at Alinea once with a visiting French winemaker, on his dime as a bonus. It was pretty spectacular.  The good is incredibly unique, interesting and delicious.  Service is spot on through out.  The wine pairings were fun and perfect.  They do not miss a beat from the time you pull up until you get into your car and I mean that literally...it was a vicious snow storm when we were there and without even having to mention my car by the time we left it was pulled up, warmed up and all of the windows cleaned.  All that being said, while I absolutely loved it and consider it one of the best dining experiences I have had I had no urge to go there again on any sort of a regular basis while places like Trotter's (when it was there), Naha, Tru I wanted to go to frequently.
    Thank you.
    That is kind of what I imagined, a one stop check off the "list" memorable spot.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• APND02
    Options
    If you’re willing to spend, Chicago Cut is my favorite steak restaurant on this planet. 
  • Focker
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Two of the gals I work with are from Chicago, and moved here recently.  Ones Hispanic 80 year old grandmother adored Frontera, thought that was as solid as a review could get.

Found out frozen Home Run Inn pies are $5.99 at the Silvis, IL Wally World.  May have to toss one or two in the egg for fun.  Need to try the Little Village fresh stuff though.

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Focker said:

Found out frozen Home Run Inn pies are $5.99 at the Silvis, IL Wally World.  May have to toss one or two in the egg for fun.
    After I retired 12 years ago I got hooked on the personal size Home Run Inn pizzas for an occasional lunch. They are not bad for a frozen small pizza and quite reasonable in price. Give a couple a try - not sure why I got off of them actually LOL!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Focker
    edited November 2017
    Options
    RRP said:
    Focker said:

Found out frozen Home Run Inn pies are $5.99 at the Silvis, IL Wally World.  May have to toss one or two in the egg for fun.
    After I retired 12 years ago I got hooked on the personal size Home Run Inn pizzas for an occasional lunch. They are not bad for a frozen small pizza and quite reasonable in price. Give a couple a try - not sure why I got off of them actually LOL!
    Thanks buddy.  I do go slummin' for frozen pies on occasion, as they are quick and efficient at filling pieholes, with ice cream following.  =)
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    (sigh)

I can understand the appeal of a ready snack, but when Chicago restaurant and bar tips descend into personal frozen pizzas, I have to say "FFS, STOP!"

Instead of seeing th OP in my minds eye convivially sharing a Lou Malnatis pie and pitcher of beer with friends, as one should in a city as friendly and ripe for fun as Chicago, I now imagine him holed up in a Quality Inn in Naperville sitting on his bed alone in his underwear watching bad cable while slowly but steadily working his way through a case of personal pizzas Leaving Las Vegas style until coronary disease dims whatever light was left in his eyes. 

Chicago is a fun city. Go out instead. 
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • Focker
    Options
    I descended to the lowly Southside for $5.88.
    Brunch did not suck.  QC passed.

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,832
    Options
    I’m in Chicago now. Hit Eatily 2 days ago.  Had dinner at 7 Lions (dined with locals who suggested it) and went to Hamilton last night.  Now at the airport to fly to New York.  Good times. 

Only problematic part was a working dinner 2 nights ago where a filet mignon was turned to pot roast.  Not good pot roast.  

Overall good trip.

And for those who are going, picking up some Garrett's popcorn is a worthwhile endeavor.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX