Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT-Chicago

The wife and I (late 20's early 30's) are headed to Chicago next weekend for a quick getaway, we both are not very touristy people however are open to suggestions on must do's. I think she wants to do the Architecture River Cruise which is fine, we have heard about The Girl and the Goat and The Purple Pig, any other suggestions? Anyone have a bar/brewery that they really liked? Staying in the Gold Coast/Old Town area. Thanks
Birmingham, AL

Comments

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Was there a couple weekends ago- we went to purple pig for lunch and it was solid. Take a look into Second City- good way to spend an evening and something different. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    3 Floyds. Awesome brews. If they have Zombie Dust it is a must have. Just over the Indiana line. https://www.3floyds.com/brewpub/
  • GrillSgt said:
    3 Floyds. Awesome brews. If they have Zombie Dust it is a must have. Just over the Indiana line. https://www.3floyds.com/brewpub/
    The food is pretty good also.
    Mundelein, IL
  • stonewh
    stonewh Posts: 169
    I love brewery's but we aren't planning on renting a car and that looks like it is almost an hour from where we are staying, thanks for the rec though.
    Birmingham, AL
  • kbr718
    kbr718 Posts: 74
    Monteverde for Italian--in the Randolph/Madison restaurant corridor. Pizzeria Uno for the original Chicago stuffed pizza. On a clear night, drinks at the Hancock Signature room on the 95th floor. The Green Mill is the quintessential Chicago Jazz club--though it's on the north side. Closer to where you're staying is Andy's Jazz Club on Hubbard (the food is also pretty good).
    LBGE Chicago, IL
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    stonewh said:
    I love brewery's but we aren't planning on renting a car and that looks like it is almost an hour from where we are staying, thanks for the rec though.
    Their beer is available in Chicago. Website should tell you where. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited November 2017
    My only trips to chicago were for flight connections thru o'hare. =) If I ever do get there, I will HAVE to try real deep dish pizza. A few places come to mind (in random order); Pizzeria UNO (the original, not the same as the franchise joints around the country), Lou Malnati's, Giordano's, Pizano's, Pequod's, Pizzeria Due and Gino's East. I've seen all listed in various "best deep dish" lists. All I can think of offhand.

I hear they have pretty good beef in chicago too. =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    If you're near the Purple Pig, you are also near:

Howells and Hood - they have Allagash Curieaux on tap.  You're welcome.

Eatily - a very interesting grocery store/restaurants/market combo.  Everything there is either made in house or imported from Italy.  Around the grocery store they have multiple restaurants - a beef restaurant, a seafood restaurant, a pasta restaurant, etc.  There is some overlap.  And in the restaurants they serve much of what they have for sale in the grocery area.  For example I had a glass of wine that I really liked at the pasta restaurant (brisket pasta - best pasta I've maybe ever had) and the waiter pointed me to where I could find the wine in the grocery store area for $15/bottle.  The wine in the restaurant was "restaurant priced".

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,001
    It's a local chain, but I never miss Portillo's for either (both?) a Chicago dog and an Italian beef.  
    I miss Chicago.  

Curry smells a hell of a lot better than a Big Mac, just sayin'  

• kbr718
    kbr718 Posts: 74
    Botch said:
    It's a local chain, but I never miss Portillo's for either (both?) a Chicago dog and an Italian beef.  
    I miss Chicago.  
    And if you go to Portillo's, don't forget the chocolate cake! 
    LBGE Chicago, IL
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829

Portillo’s became my wife and daughters favorite place to eat.  Depending on what your interests are, below is a short list of things we enjoy:

Deep Dish Pizza:  Pequods, Gino’s.

Beer/Breweries:  Revolution Brewing, Pie Pizzeria, Map Room, Hopleaf, Half Acre Brewing.

Scenery: Navy Pier, The Bean, RiverWalk, Buddy Guys Blues (personal fav), Magnificent Mile, Uber into Bucktown.

You could spend a week’s worth of vacation on the museums alone in Chicago. 

Arturo’s Tacos, Portillo’s, Jay’s Beef, get the wife some Garrett’s popcorn.

And too many other options to name, and bother with on such a short trip.  I’m there several times a year and depending on the season, always run out of time to get things in.

Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    If you like Greek food than I highly recommend Santorinis in Greektown (Halsted and Adams) Eataly Chicago Market for Italian. You could send hours there eating and shopping all sorts of Italian food.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    dstearn said:
    If you like Greek food than I highly recommend Santorinis in Greektown (Halsted and Adams) Eataly Chicago Market for Italian. You could send hours there eating and shopping all sorts of Italian food.
    Eataly Chicago is a theme park I need to conquer each ride.  Would be a nice multi-visit lunch spot.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited November 2017
    Portillo's is great.

At the good spots, you can find the flagship Alpha King, Anti-Hero, Fist City, Green Line, on tap, which pair well with just about any grub.

Grand Lux Cafe beignets with a cafe mocha, are an experience.  The raspberry and whiskey sauce....

Signature Room, top tier.

You're a 30 min or so uber from Revolution Brewing if that's your thing.  So many places, so little time.  Have fun with it.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• poster
    poster Posts: 1,200
    +1 for Eatily, and Portillos my favorite is Hugo's Frog Bar, Ditka's is alright if theres a game on
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    You won't get into Girl & The Goat unless they have a cancelation. Booked way in advance. 

My wife and I became friends with the group that owns that resto as well as several others: BOKA Group. We supported them when they opened their first resto (BOKA) in Lincoln Park where we lived for 10 years. 

They have always secured a table for us or friends visiting if we give them a reasonable notice. A week or 2. 

We just got my wife's CEO a table there last week, which is good for her!

You could go early and see if they have a cancellation or eat at the bar which is FC,FS.

The food is outstanding and Steph is almost always in the kitchen. 
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    There was a fella not long ago that documented every place ate at, slept in, farted on, and everything. Hmm..bthe name leaves me though. I let you know when I remember the guy. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,704
    PURPLE PIG!!!!!

YES!  During the Ace Hardware convention order the summer, I ate there two nights in a row with Chad & Tracy from Kick Ash Basket, and my buddy that works for Big Green Egg.  We each ordered 3-4 dishes and just passed the plates around.  WOW!!!!!

My favorites were the bone marrow, broccoli, beef tenderloin, & beets.

We waited 90 minutes to get in there on Friday night, but it was worth it.  Highlight of the trip!!

If you can get a seat back by the chef's station, it's fascinating to watch them assemble......and funny to watch the chef yell at all of them!!

• stonewh
    stonewh Posts: 169
    A whole lot of good ones in here thanks guys. I think we are definitely going to try Lou Malnatis one night and I have a friend that lives there trying to get us a reservation for Bavettes, figured a steak one night and deep dish the next wouldn't suck.
    Birmingham, AL
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    stonewh said:
    The wife and I (late 20's early 30's) are headed to Chicago next weekend for a quick getaway, we both are not very touristy people however are open to suggestions on must do's. I think she wants to do the Architecture River Cruise which is fine, we have heard about The Girl and the Goat and The Purple Pig, any other suggestions? Anyone have a bar/brewery that they really liked? Staying in the Gold Coast/Old Town area. Thanks
    By the way, the Architecture River Cruise is a great way to see the city. It's what we always did with visitors. 
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    edited November 2017
    My parents have a place in the Gold Coast so I spend a lot of time up there.  The recommendations above are solid.  If you are looking for a dive bar to stop and have a few that are not overly priced check out, Streeter's Tavern, Pippin's Tavern, Jake Melnick (not really a dive but have great wings and bloodys) and Timothy O'Tooles.  Best steak I've had up there was at Chicago Cut.  It's right on the river.  Maple and Ash is another good steak house in the Gold Coast.  I have not eaten there yet but my parents really enjoyed it.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• poster
    poster Posts: 1,200
    big and littles is a good dive place for some quick lunch
  • dbennett561
    dbennett561 Posts: 59
    edited November 2017
    Not a brewery but-

• Chicago Pizza and oven grinder.

It's a house / restaurant across the street from where the St. Valentine Day massacre took place. Their pizza is very unique. The ingredients are put into a bowl, dough on top then put in the oven. When it arrives at your table the server turns the bowl over to reveal, the pizza pot pie. It's delicious. Take a look- cash only.
    http://chicagopizzaandovengrinder.com/history/  

• Pippins is a "hole in the wall" Tavern

• John Hancock building has a nice brunch as well, on the top floor of the building.

Tampa, FL
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,972

You have a lot of great options - partially depends on how relaxed or expensive you want the weekend to be! 

If it's nice you could head east towards the lake.  A stroll through the Lincoln Park Zoo, and adjacent conservatory, is nice - and free.  Grab lunch or dinner at Mon Ami Gabi, practically across the street, always dependable steak frites.

If you want fancy/upscale in the same area, North Pond is a great spot.  Beautiful setting and the food is awesome.  I think it's very underrated/underappreciated.  Also BOKA is great if you want pricier fare that's more modern/up todate.  Also a great bar if you just want a drink there.

Lots to see/do in Lincoln Park.  Take a stroll up and down Halsted for shopping.  Kingston Mines is fun for music - two stages alternate so you always have blues to listen to.

The place I'd really like to go now is Bohemian House. 

http://www.bohochicago.com/menus/

Steak house I'd like to try is Maple and Ash - I've heard great things.  Also near you.

I second the vote for a drink in the Hancock on a clear evening. (You tell them you're going up for cocktails, not dinner.) One, it's the best skyscraper in the world.  Two, your wife will be impressed with the view from the women's bathroom. 

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    The architecture boat cruise is a must, particularly the one at sunset. Sounds geeky, but it is really cool.
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    SloppyJoe said:
    Where a vest 
    lol
    that pizza pot pie is on the menu soon, i like that idea
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Stoogie
    Stoogie Posts: 173
    My wife and I just spent a weekend there in late October.

+1 on the Signature Room for drinks after a dinner.  Do your best to get a window seat.

For one of our meals we went to Trattoria 10, for Italian.  If you go make sure to get the seared pork belly.  I'm still thinking about it.  

For another meal we went to Rosebud Prime.  While it wasn't bad, I wish that I would've just booked a reservation at Gene and Georgetti's for steak.  

+1 on the Architecture River Cruise.  Dress warm, though!

Large BGE

Neenah, WI