Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fire Pit owners......with cooking grates

northGAcock
northGAcock Posts: 15,164
edited October 2017 in Off Topic
I am looking for an accessory to my fire pit so that I can roast oysters, cook a steak or burger etc. I see this on the Amazon site which in concept would work. Wondering if any of you have something that you might suggest based on your own experiences?

Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
Run me out in the cold rain and snow

Comments

• northGAcock
    multi level.....how nice.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,734
    are you going with a round pit. if you build the back high and the front low it throws more heat forward
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited October 2017
    I pack a Raichlen Tuscan CI grill with removable legs, small footprint for stowing.  Fits on the Weber kettle as well.  You can raise it up if needed with bricks, versatile.  But it's best to establish embers, and cook with the direct, even heat vs the raised direct uneven flames.  

Some of those cheap firepit grills have been sprayed with a high temp black paint, which will come off into your food, so be careful.  Looks like the one pictured may be one of them.  I would cook with a DO or make coffee on it, foil packs, but that's about it....no bueno for searing.  Another reason I went with iron.  

It's good for the campground pits where you don't know what, has been done to/on them.
    Some use this in their fireplaces and WFOs.

I also use a portable Coleman pit that came with its own grid, thing packs down in its case to a spare tire size, really handy.

One could rig up a piece with a 22" round grid, lag screws, washers, and nuts.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Jeremiah said:
    That video made me miss my Kentucky bluegrass yard.  I hate the St Augustine down here.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • northGAcock
    are you going with a round pit. if you build the back high and the front low it throws more heat forward
    Yeah.....Pit has been in for a few years. 

• Robin I just called this guy and he has a larger version called the Big Daddy that I'm going to order this week. 

http://billybobcampfirecooking.com/FAQ.html

The arms all come off for storage as well as adjust in height and I'm going to concrete the rod in the ground. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• northGAcock
    Robin I just called this guy and he has a larger version called the Big Daddy that I'm going to order this week. 

The arms all come off for storage as well as adjust in height and I'm going to concrete the rod in the ground. 
    I like it......let me know when you get it and have tried it out. Looks solid....and yet can be broken down for storage. 

• Yeah it's made out of 9/16 cold roll. He said one of his clients has one in Montana and he just leaves it up at his hunting camp in the elements year around. 

I also like the fact that it's easy to move up and down. (And that you can do 2 spatchcock chickens or similar surface on it while cooking in a Dutch oven at the same time)

I'll let you know when it comes in. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• northGAcock
    Yeah it's made out of 9/16 cold roll. He said one of his clients has one in Montana and he just leaves it up at his hunting camp in the elements year around. 

I also like the fact that it's easy to move up and down. (And that you can do 2 spatchcock chickens or similar surface on it while cooking in a Dutch oven at the same time)

I'll let you know when it comes in. 
    I will reach out to him for pricing....but do you know what the dimensions of the grate is on the larger model?

• Robin I just called this guy and he has a larger version called the Big Daddy that I'm going to order this week. 

I like it......let me know when you get it and have tried it out. Looks solid....and yet can be broken down for storage. 
    Just checked out the website and watched the video. WOW..that looks awesome.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • I will reach out to him for pricing....but do you know what the dimensions of the grate is on the larger model?
    I talked to him while I was driving and tried to write it down. I hve 36 inches from base to end and I think the grate runs the whole length. 

I want to say he said $260-80 ballpark. The little one is $100 but the grate is way too small to do more than half a chicken or two steaks. 

South of Nashville, TN

• fishlessman
    if i was cooking over an open pit i would want it to swing away and be able to raise and lower it. you could also modify the pit like this and regulate how much coals are burning in it for different cooks

Image result for fire pit cooking grate
    fukahwee maine

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Sunnydaze firepit cooking accessories. My BIL brought his system up for the shrimp boil. We cooked pots of food on it. Worked out well. You might want to look them up on line.
    The system he bought was a modification done at the manufacturer, so they at least will customize to your specs.
    I had seen these in use before, and the all looked pretty darn smart and functional. Easy set up, and if you wanted, you could take them down and store, not taking up a whole lot of room, to do so.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    edited October 2017
    We always do it with a large square of sheet metal placed on blocks above the coals of a wood fire then cover the oysters with wet burlap.  You could probably get a sheet online fairly cheap.  

There is a company that makes one......but you gotta pony up the cash!!
    https://bullsbayoysterroasts.com/

Edit - You're looking for something with more "multi-function"

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited October 2017
    All I have is an old, rusty folding cooking grate that we used to use camping so no help there. But if you google fire pit cooking, there are a ton of ideas. Don't rule out a rotisserie either! That should be fun. Doesn't look like you'd have enough room for a pig, but you could do a few chickens... or some tree rats. =)

Or, just get some rebar or maybe some expanded metal (or both) and do some real pit cooked meat. Might need a lid too. And another pit to get the coals ready. LOL.
    Image result for skylight inn pit

But if you're on a budget, don't forget that the model posted by DoubleEgger is only 25¢ at Aldi! :rofl:

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• northGAcock
    We always do it with a large square of sheet metal placed on blocks above the coals of a wood fire then cover the oysters with wet burlap.  You could probably get a sheet online fairly cheap.  

Having grown up in the SC Low Country myself.....I have done the oysters that way many times. It is how I know it to be done if you will. Loved looking at the sight and appreciate your sharing it with me. What I am working with is an existing fire pit....looking to add some cooking functionality. So I am trying to find something that will allow me some flexibility. 

• northGAcock
    All I have is an old, rusty folding cooking grate that we used to use camping so no help there. But if you google fire pit cooking, there are a ton of ideas. Don't rule out a rotisserie either! That should be fun. Doesn't look like you'd have enough room for a pig, but you could do a few chickens... or some tree rats. =)

Or, just get some rebar or maybe some expanded metal (or both) and do some real pit cooked meat. Might need a lid too. And another pit to get the coals ready. LOL.

But if you're on a budget, don't forget that the model posted by DoubleEgger is only 25¢ at Aldi! :rofl:
    ....and I have an Aldi near by..

• northGAcock
    YukonRon said:
    Sunnydaze firepit cooking accessories. My BIL brought his system up for the shrimp boil. We cooked pots of food on it. Worked out well. You might want to look them up on line.
    The system he bought was a modification done at the manufacturer, so they at least will customize to your specs.
    I had seen these in use before, and the all looked pretty darn smart and functional. Easy set up, and if you wanted, you could take them down and store, not taking up a whole lot of room, to do so.

Appreciate your sharing Ron. I looked at their website quickly....and will return. I think one of my requirements is to have flexibility with height. In other words,  I will need to be able to move the cooking surface up and down depending on the size of my fire. Not ruling these guys out....just need to dig in a bit more.

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207

Having grown up in the SC Low Country myself.....I have done the oysters that way many times. It is how I know it to be done if you will. Loved looking at the sight and appreciate your sharing it with me. What I am working with is an existing fire pit....looking to add some cooking functionality. So I am trying to find something that will allow me some flexibility. 
    I caught on to that right after my post.  Apparently I have a reading comprehension problem early in the AM.

Let us know what you find out because I'm in the planning stages of building a pit in the backyard with my son......little bonding time.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • northGAcock

Q....enjoyed looking at the site. Appreciate your sharing. 

• fishlessman
    any small weld shops/ iron work shops in the area. you could have a heavey hook like this made and make a removable spinning post to put it away. add a chain and add a hanging grid/ dutch oven/etc. i did this with an upside down tomato plant hanger this year, would easily hang a grid. all you would need extra is a stud driven into the ground that stays ther, a pipe that fits the stud and hook the right height thats removable. and one of those hanging type grids

Image result for hanging plant hooks

fukahwee maine

• fishlessman

this hook design is nicer but more involved, easier to adjust pulling the chain

Image result for fire pit grill

fukahwee maine

• Carolina Q
    I just watched the Billy Bob thing... me likey! I don't need one, but I like it a lot. Looks like I would like Montana too!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• northGAcock
    I just watched the Billy Bob thing... me likey! I don't need one, but I like it a lot. Looks like I would like Montana too!
    No kidding right? Love the guys approach to life. Can't be all bad.

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    @northGAcock Go by your local high school Ag shop. I bet they will fabricate whatever you want for a minimal fee...

Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • I have one similar to that one we use all of the time when we camp....works well.  The other campers in our group liked it so much that they bought one for themselves.   Lots better than the worn out grates at the individual campsites.  
    Cheers.
    LBGE  Campchef Pro 60 gasser with griddle & grill box .
  • Carolina Q
    edited October 2017

...I'm going to concrete the rod in the ground. 
    @Killit_and_Grillit, if you don't want the rod sticking up out of the ground all the time, why not drive an oversize black pipe into the ground (with or without concrete) and slip a loose cap over it when not in use. Remove cap, insert rod, cook.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut