Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Your Favorite "Fall Meals"??

Options

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,170
    Options
    Shoe leather is pretty tasty this time of year. 
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Green chili chicken soup
    Green chili chicken enchiladas
    Beef stew
    jambalaya
    beans and cornbread

Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,466
    Options
    Spring has me thinking fresh herbs and tiny vegetables, while the summer's first ripe tomato, and ear of sweet corn, have me drooling.
    Fall and Winter don't really have me thinking specific ingredients, but rather cooking vessels:  the slow cooker, and more recently the pressure cooker.  

Freshly-roasted green chile comes at the end of Summer, not early Fall.   ;)  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Beef Stew.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    have done sloppy joes two weeks in a row, seem to be craving them
    Yo Fish.....what are your ingrediants? Reason I ask is I have been making mine for years with BBQ sauce, onion, peppers, brown sugar, ketchup a dab of mustard and red wine vinigar. I like mine but curious what you / others use? Huge fan of the Joe!
    pound burger, 1/4 cup cumin not measured, some paprika, 8 or 9 shakes worcestershire sauce, half of a medium sized yellow onion chopped as fine as possible, did 3 tsp of fermented hot sauce last weekend, might back that down this weekend, and enough ketchup to make it look right
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    Options
    if you dont like canned raisin bread you're not cooking it right. slice it, brown it under a broiler, cover it with too much butter, and enjoy =)
    fukahwee maine

• vcool
    vcool Posts: 26
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Baked beans (not BBQ beans, but maple/tomato/salt pork style beans), and Chili are my fall go-to's  They're on deck for the next couple weekends on the egg.  Oh and pea soup when it gets just a little cooler.
    Ottawa Canada, Cigars, Hunting, Fishing and Egging
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    Big ol' pork loin, stuffed with fall apples, something green (spinach works just fine), something cheesy (fontina, havarti -- creamy is good).  Add a layer of prosciutto on the inside or bacon to wrap the outside.  That to me is fall goodness.  Much easier than it looks, always comes out great -- very forgiving dish and a real crowd pleaser.  
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Chili & meatloaf would top the list here..
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    See what I mean??
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,025
    Options
    Wild Rice Soup and CoalCreek's MN A$$ Blaster Brisket Chili
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296
    Options
    Gumbo and jambalaya.
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    How could I forget? Chicken pot pie..... Mmmmmm
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Favorite "Fall meals"? I don't have any. Never understood the concept. For me, if I enjoy a dish, I don't care what time of year it is. Good food is good food. If I'm in the mood for chili or beef stew in July, I'll cook some in July.  Besides, with the weather we've had so far this Fall, it might as well BE July!

As for Sloppy Joes, Ree Drummond has a good recipe that I just made tonight (This thread got me in the mood). Highly recommended! This is her pic (I had fries and asparagus with mine. =))
    TPW_3791
    http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/sloppy-joes/

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options
    Beans and ham ... with some brown sugar and a little bit of hot sauce.
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Oyster Stew.  Stewing oysters are only good in months ending in "ber".
    Flint, Michigan
  • fishlessman
    Options
    Favorite "Fall meals"? I don't have any. Never understood the concept. For me, if I enjoy a dish, I don't care what time of year it is. Good food is good food. If I'm in the mood for chili or beef stew in July, I'll cook some in July.  Besides, with the weather we've had so far this Fall, it might as well BE July!

As for Sloppy Joes, Ree Drummond has a good recipe that I just made tonight (This thread got me in the mood). Highly recommended! This is her pic (I had fries and asparagus with mine. =))
    TPW_3791
    http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/sloppy-joes/
    theres certian things better during certain seasons. apples are one, a good crisp cortland apple and a chip of cabot cheese off the wheel is hard to beat right now. cant stand offseason apples imported into the area. then theres the ribeye price drop after xmas, corned beef price drop after easter, lamb drops in price after greek easter, maine lobster prices drop after the 4th, farmers market veggies in the spring
    fukahwee maine

• Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Soups and stews, roasted mammals, birds, and fish. We take advantage of seasonal items as much as possible. 
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    northGAcock said: I know one thing, I butter my bun and put it on a hot cast iron griddle to brown it. Helps keep the bun from soaking up and moisture while you chomp on it. 
    Try mayo one time instead of butter. It makes for a savory crunch. Awesome with grilled cheese sandwiches too. 
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    Steak and kidney pudding. Just eating one now.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Brisket Chilli
    Chicken or turkey pot pie
    Smoked Mac-N-Cheese
    Seasonal veggies and in particular seasonal squash
    Any comfort food dish is good with me. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    Most anything slow braised in gravy but lamb shanks are the ultimate for me. Slow braised lamb in a red wine sauce over mashed potatoes...  Then off to bed under the covers with a big storm raging outside. Zzzzzz :)
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    We eat less sandwiches, tacos and salads and more soups, stews and chili. We also do a tradition from growing up breakfast for dinner more in the cooler months. And way more baked goods. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    texaswig said:
    We eat less sandwiches, tacos and salads and more soups, stews and chili. We also do a tradition from growing up breakfast for dinner more in the cooler months. And way more baked goods. 
    Same here, we're "Brinner" fans too.  Waffles, pancakes, biscuits and gravy.  Nice to heat up the oven on those colder days too.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Teefus said:
    northGAcock said: I know one thing, I butter my bun and put it on a hot cast iron griddle to brown it. Helps keep the bun from soaking up and moisture while you chomp on it. 
    Try mayo one time instead of butter. It makes for a savory crunch. Awesome with grilled cheese sandwiches too. 
    Will try that. Gonna make some this weekend. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • LDR
    LDR Posts: 414
    Options
    Chicken and dumplings with cornbread!
  • dannys
    dannys Posts: 164
    Options
    Braises for me too. Osso Buco with risotto Milanese is what I crave. I'll do lamb shanks, beef stew, my version of chicken Provencale.

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Some good ol pulled pork with rice and hash....coleslaw. I'll have some bread and butter pickles and a slice or two of white bread. Of course I would be enjoying with some mustard based sauce. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Picadillo. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA