Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Where did this crack in my LBGE come from?

I was doing some steaks last night, I'll admit I had it HOT (900) for a brief period of time. I did notice smoke coming from the bottom of the egg, further investigation revealed a small (hard to see, but it's there) crack running down the middle of the base front to back. Am I pushing this thing too hard with my searing temps?

Comments

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    edited October 2017

I think more is involved to crack an egg, including bad luck.

I've been seering on a kettle that I've modified to get up to high heat.  Maybe I'm being over cautious.
    Phoenix 
  • CanDid
    CanDid Posts: 106
    edited October 2017
    The reason it cracked is because you're using the KAB without the firegrate. That would void the warranty also.
    BGE XL
    NWArkansas
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    It seems that the KAB has been frequently mentioned in the last two years when folks speak of cracked bases. It seems to be more prevalent in XLs without the fire grates.
    Mine did it, and it was covered under warranty.
    I have since placed the fire grate back inside for the last 2 years or so, and there are zero issues.
    I doubt if the second instance would be warranted.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Ive got a XL and noticed a hairline crack about 4 months ago. It was directly in the middle of the bottom of the egg. It was warrantied and I got a new base. I was using all factory guts as well.
    I as well sometime like to sear my steaks at 900 degrees and do 550 degree cooks. Not sure if the high temp had anything to do it with it or like the other guy said, bad luck..

Also, is there a MAX temp per BGE that you are not supposed to go above when you cook?
    Alot of folks do clean burns and Im sure those temps run into 1300ish degrees..

XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.
  • derka123
    derka123 Posts: 102
    Hmm thanks for the info guys. It sounds like I need to use my KAB in addition to the OEM firegrate, which I was unaware of. Thanks for the info!
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    It's ceramic, it cracks. That's why you have a warranty. 
  • I disagree with the KAB being the culprit. I have many eggs, each has cracked. A KAB has been a recent item in my arsenal, but my only egg that has suffered a cracked base (the mini) did not have a KAB. Do we blame the KAB for all of the cracked fire rings as well?
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I disagree with the KAB being the culprit. I have many eggs, each has cracked. A KAB has been a recent item in my arsenal, but my only egg that has suffered a cracked base (the mini) did not have a KAB. Do we blame the KAB for all of the cracked fire rings as well?
    Agree with this I have had many eggs and my only base not to crack yet is my mini max and it's my only egg with a KAB. Believe I have had 4 crack so far in the last 10 years.
  • CanDid
    Do we blame the KAB for all of the cracked fire rings as well?
    That's ridiculous. The firebox and fire ring are meant to protect the base and in doing so, some crack. The difference in the box and ring cracking is that they do not affect the function of the BGE. The base being cracked does.

Yeah, some bases crack that are not using a KAB, but there are a good number that have cracked using a KAB sans firegrate. Why risk it? And how about when you call your dealer to claim a warranty on your cracked base, you mention to them you were using a KAB sans firegrate and see how far that gets you.
    BGE XL
    NWArkansas
  • CanDid said:
    That's ridiculous. The firebox and fire ring are meant to protect the base and in doing so, some crack. The difference in the box and ring cracking is that they do not affect the function of the BGE. The base being cracked does.

Yeah, some bases crack that are not using a KAB, but there are a good number that have cracked using a KAB sans firegrate. Why risk it? And how about when you call your dealer to claim a warranty on your cracked base, you mention to them you were using a KAB sans firegrate and see how far that gets you.
    Funny
  • Sundazes
    Sundazes Posts: 307
    I had the base on my lg crack two years before I even heard of the KAB. 
  • Lit
    CanDid said:

Not some bases crack all bases crack. With or without KAB and high heat or.no high heat. My XL base cracked and it had never had a KAB and don't think it had ever been over 350 at the time it was only for low and slows. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,022
    CanDid said:

Please share your data.  I am mostly interested in the % of the population with KAB that have cracked vs. the % of population  without KAB that have also cracked.  Normalized for usage would be ideal.  No comparing a monthly summer user to a year round daily user, unless usage variations is accounted for.

I would also like to have your thermocouple results from the base for KAB vs. Non-KAB runs.  Prefer temp vs. Time plots as I expect rate of temp change to be of importance.

Based on your comments that clearly state the KAB is the problem I am sure you can provide meaningful proof to support your claim, besides you "read it on a forum".
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Replacement costs of the ceramics is built into the cost of a new BGE.  They realize a certain percentage will fail, so the list price allows for those falures and replacements. Same thing applies to KJ.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    CanDid said:

You do realize that all the ceramics are fired at the same temp(2450F ish) correct?  So why does the KAB encourage cracking?  What does the grate do for you? 
  • Here’s my data. I have six eggs. Five of them have a KAB. The one without a KAB has a cracked base (and I still cook with it). I am going to blame the KABs in the other five eggs, I know they somehow had something to do with the crack in the non KAB egg. 
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,505
    It begs the question, why is this warning on KAB of all sizes (not just XL)?

canuckland
  • Dunno. My data suggests the question was not begged. But others seem to have conclusions based on data they’ve thought up. 
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,505
    @cookingdude555 just wanted to throw that into the mix, it wasn't specifically directed at you, my apology if it came across as that because I posted immediately after you.
    canuckland
  • @Canugghead, you’re fine. At second glance my reply looks pissy. Online communication sucks sometimes, we need to go back to everyone just talking in person around the grill. 
  • CanDid
    Please share your data.  I am mostly interested in the % of the population with KAB that have cracked vs. the % of population  without KAB that have also cracked.  Normalized for usage would be ideal.  No comparing a monthly summer user to a year round daily user, unless usage variations is accounted for.

I would also like to have your thermocouple results from the base for KAB vs. Non-KAB runs.  Prefer temp vs. Time plots as I expect rate of temp change to be of importance.

Based on your comments that clearly state the KAB is the problem I am sure you can provide meaningful proof to support your claim, besides you "read it on a forum".

Sad to hear that coming from you. Oh well, I'll get right on that because data is warranted with every argument on here unless you're in the 1,000+ post club, right?

Based on my comments I did NOT “clearly state” the KAB as being the problem. Don't make statements misrepresenting my comments until you actually read them. And I’m not trying to bash the KAB, I love mine. What I said was not to use the KAB sans firegrate.

My argument is that without the firegrate, the radiant heat from the lump will be much more intense on the bottom of the base and CAN lead to a crack in the bottom of the base, whether prematurely or over time. This question is being brought up more and more on the forum and I will continue to point to the KAB-XL that states, "We still recommend using with your grill's lower charcoal grate" and to read “Voiding The Warranty” on the BGE website. Members can draw their own conclusions from that.

I don’t have data. I have other’s experiences to go off of so I don’t have to make their mistakes.
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1207918/effects-of-high-flow-aftermarket-fire-grates/p1

BGE XL
    NWArkansas
  • CanDid
    Here’s my data. I have six eggs. Five of them have a KAB. The one without a KAB has a cracked base (and I still cook with it). I am going to blame the KABs in the other five eggs, I know they somehow had something to do with the crack in the non KAB egg. 
    Mad props to ya! I'll go buy five more eggs and post "Nice cook!" a thousand times and that'll make everything I say legit. By the way, you didn't mention it so I'm just assuming that you removed the firegrate from all of your eggs that have a KAB because that's my only argument. And since you just recently added them, they retroactively prevented the bases from cracking, but somehow the one that doesn't have a KAB....whatever, I digress. The firegrate has not taken anything away in the performance of my KAB so I'll continue to use them in tandem.

BGE XL
    NWArkansas
  • CanDid
    RRP said:
    I'm breaking my own promise to myself of never posting unless specifically being asked for my opinion...but to me this thread deserves input from eggers other than newbies.

I've been an egger for 17 years now with 4 eggs - two of which ( L & S ) which both have had a KAB for sometime now and neither have a grate under the KAB. I regularly do high temperature burn outs North of 1,000 degrees and I regularly do 600 to 700 degree sears

To date - I have NEVER had a cracked base. Also I'm only on my second fire box on both...in fact my replacement fire box on my work horse Small is still on  a shelf! Yuppers...17 years later!

These eggs are fired in kilns at temperatures in excess of 2,400 degrees so why do the naysayers think using a KAB LIKE I DO regularly is going to destroy their BBE?

off the soap box...
    No worries about breaking your promise, I think everyone is entitled to and should have an opinion. That’s what this forum is for, but obviously others don’t think so. Anyways, it seems like more of the issues are coming from the newer eggs. I haven't seen posts on the older eggs cracking as much as the newer ones. (Sorry, I don’t have the data to back that up. It was just an observation.)

And don’t hate on the “newbies” so much. We’re the one’s that support innovation and pay for your warranty.
    BGE XL
    NWArkansas
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited October 2017
    CanDid said:

Sad to hear that coming from you. Oh well, I'll get right on that because data is warranted with every argument on here unless you're in the 1,000+ post club, right?

Based on my comments I did NOT “clearly state” the KAB as being the problem. Don't make statements misrepresenting my comments until you actually read them. And I’m not trying to bash the KAB, I love mine. What I said was not to use the KAB sans firegrate.

My argument is that without the firegrate, the radiant heat from the lump will be much more intense on the bottom of the base and CAN lead to a crack in the bottom of the base, whether prematurely or over time. This question is being brought up more and more on the forum and I will continue to point to the KAB-XL that states, "We still recommend using with your grill's lower charcoal grate" and to read “Voiding The Warranty” on the BGE website. Members can draw their own conclusions from that.

I don’t have data. I have other’s experiences to go off of so I don’t have to make their mistakes.
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1207918/effects-of-high-flow-aftermarket-fire-grates/p1

Not clear why it is sad from me, but my questions were meant to prompt thought.  There are a lot of factors involved.  Ceramic cracks propagate from defects in the ceramic.  Over time heat cycling will cause a defect to grow until it cracks.  I personally do not think the KAB is the issue, but aside from anecedotal evidence I have nothing to support my view.  I think one would be better off keeping ~1" of ash evenly along the bottom of the base to protect it from falling lit lump and radiant heat than using the grate instead of KAB.

The original KAB was not meant for the XL sans fire grate because the large span could not be supported by the KAB without possible warping.

Also, I reread  your posts.  On initial reading I got the impression you were blaming the KAB.  Upon rereading I see you were saying better safe than sorry.

A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Also, post counts are irrelevant.  Good ideas come from all corners.  A couple hundred means someone likes to participate.  A couple thousand means we should find better things to do ;)
  • Lit
    CanDid said:
    RRP said:
    I'm breaking my own promise to myself of never posting unless specifically being asked for my opinion...but to me this thread deserves input from eggers other than newbies.

I've been an egger for 17 years now with 4 eggs - two of which ( L & S ) which both have had a KAB for sometime now and neither have a grate under the KAB. I regularly do high temperature burn outs North of 1,000 degrees and I regularly do 600 to 700 degree sears

To date - I have NEVER had a cracked base. Also I'm only on my second fire box on both...in fact my replacement fire box on my work horse Small is still on  a shelf! Yuppers...17 years later!

These eggs are fired in kilns at temperatures in excess of 2,400 degrees so why do the naysayers think using a KAB LIKE I DO regularly is going to destroy their BBE?

off the soap box...
    No worries about breaking your promise, I think everyone is entitled to and should have an opinion. That’s what this forum is for, but obviously others don’t think so. Anyways, it seems like more of the issues are coming from the newer eggs. I haven't seen posts on the older eggs cracking as much as the newer ones. (Sorry, I don’t have the data to back that up. It was just an observation.)

And don’t hate on the “newbies” so much. We’re the one’s that support innovation and pay for your warranty.
    My large and medium bases that cracked were both somewhat older they would have.both been in the 12-15 year old range from now. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    ive had 3 bases crack or fall apart, never had a kab. one went during an overnight low and slow, one during a 350 degree turkey cook, one small just delaminated. my small never went over 750 degrees, it just would not get hotter. pretty sure my current large is cracked but im not looking. ive done cooks over 1200 degrees with no issues, bge has brought them to 1200 degrees and tossed water in them in testing with no issues. it just happens
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • CanDid said:
    Here’s my data. I have six eggs. Five of them have a KAB. The one without a KAB has a cracked base (and I still cook with it). I am going to blame the KABs in the other five eggs, I know they somehow had something to do with the crack in the non KAB egg. 
    Mad props to ya! I'll go buy five more eggs and post "Nice cook!" a thousand times and that'll make everything I say legit. By the way, you didn't mention it so I'm just assuming that you removed the firegrate from all of your eggs that have a KAB because that's my only argument. And since you just recently added them, they retroactively prevented the bases from cracking, but somehow the one that doesn't have a KAB....whatever, I digress. The firegrate has not taken anything away in the performance of my KAB so I'll continue to use them in tandem.

Nice cook
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    It gets easier to try and link cracked bases with KAB as there are more and more KAB users.
    I really think many of the cracked bases are predetermined from the start. You either start out with a perfect base and have no issues or you start out with a base that already has issues. Issues that started during manufacturing or sometime before the Egg made it to your patio. MANY Eggers seldom use their Eggs and many more never push them to super high temps. The active Egggers on this forum, over all, make up a small percentage of the Egghead market. But we are the ones who probably use our Eggs more and also push the temps more than most. Stands to reason that we would see more cracked everything on this forum.
    Does the KAB cause the base to crack or does it promote/speed up a smaller hairline crack that already existed? Who knows...
    As Ron pointed out, Eggs are Kiln fired at much greater heat. But over time, it seems higher heat and moisture would slowly break down any ceramic part.I have never lost a dome due to cracking but I think I have gone through 4 bases all pre KAB. But I have stopped taking my Egg to Nuke temp clean burns. Now I just do full load of cheap lump at 500-700 and let it burn till the lump is gone. Does not give me the pretty white interior but it does burn of all the gunk.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas