Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Talladega Infield this weekend!!

Options
Thatgrimguy
Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
edited October 2017 in EggHead Forum
Bringing the Grocery Cart out to Frontrunner Club 1 in Turn 4 for my very first NASCAR experience. I won the trip through Hyundai over the summer. I'm going with a group that has been going for over a decade!  

Menu:

Pork Belly Burnt Ends
Beef Plate Ribs (NAMP 123A)
@EggObsessed Pineapple Gems
@SGH Best Appetizer (but made into my stuffed mushrooms)
Bacon Weave Pig Candy
Gumbo
St. Louis Cut Berkshire Pork Ribs
Berkshire Pork Butts for Pulled Pork

3 day event. Enough food for 2 weeks. Makes sense to me!!!! At least there are 5 RVs in our group, so should be 20 or so people. Plus I tend to make friends with neighbors!
XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum

Comments

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Sweet Home Alabama....lord I am coming home to you. Great menu you have there.....wish it was Darlington.  B)
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Options
    Scott, after this weekend you will never be the same! But that being said, after a few of your cooks the whole damn infield will change! Everyone there is in for a treat!  
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • mtasker
    mtasker Posts: 88
    Options
    i'll be parked just outside of turn 4.  just throw some over the fence!
  • jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    Looks like an awesome time! Love the menu!
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,760
    Options
    Menu sounds great!!
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    I'm going to have an extra belly and beef ribs for Brisket Camp the next weekend!! I'll be well practiced!
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • dbennett561
    Options
    Menu looks great. I grew up going to Daytona infield for both races, Dega is on my bucket list.

Tampa, FL
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,760
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Bringing the Grocery Cart out to Frontrunner Club 1 in Turn 4 for my very first NASCAR experience. I won the trip through Hyundai over the summer. I'm going with a group that has been going for over a decade!  

Menu:

Pork Belly Burnt Ends
    Beef Plate Ribs (NAMP 123A)
    @EggObsessed Pineapple Gems
    @SGH Best Appetizer (but made into my stuffed mushrooms)
    Bacon Weave Pig Candy
    Gumbo
    St. Louis Cut Berkshire Pork Ribs
    Berkshire Pork Butts for Pulled Pork

3 day event. Enough food for 2 weeks. Makes sense to me!!!! At least there are 5 RVs in our group, so should be 20 or so people. Plus I tend to make friends with neighbors!

You can also get the NASCAR experience by flushing Skittles down the toilet--its like watching a 10 second NASCAR Race
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I hope you like drinking... ;) 

7 cases of beer, 3 bottles of whiskey, and mason jar of apple pie shots for 4 guys in three days. We didn't even stick out in the crowd of people at the race. We ran out of booze after the race on Sunday. 

You'll have a blast! Lots of fun. Bring some hearing protection if next to the track. You'll even be better set up with a smoker! Enjoy
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    I hope you like drinking... ;) 
    Speaking of... I should make some bourbon slushie 
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    This is on my bucket list.  Camping infield at a NASCAR event.  I don't follow racing at all, I just think it would be a blast.  You certainly will make friends!  The menu looks great!  You will probably be on TV.
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Options
    Scott, I have a very good friend that drives a truck for NASCAR and pulls the "kitchen trailer" I just talked to him he is on the way to the track now. I told him to look for you in turn 4 in a yellow and white retro Winnebago. He can get you in places around the track that you might enjoy. Have a great weekend! See you at Brisket Camp.
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    Avoid the drunken fights! Always some drama going on out there. 
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    2nd the hearing protection. Even better would be a scanner, that way you are protecting your ears and can still know what’s going on with the race. The folks camping around you are in for a treat. Enjoy!
    Snellville, GA

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Have fun Scott.  I went to my first one a few years back.  The tailgating put football tailgating to shame - very fun.  The first 15 minutes of the race is also really fun.  The feeling of the engines in your chest when they start the race is incredible.  The rest of the race I could skip past - it's a lot of the same.

I'd go again in a heartbeat, but mostly for the tailgating - which you will no doubt take to the next level.

Phoenix 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Enjoy ole buddy. I haven't got to go in years but I use to love it. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I've been to Dega twice.   The party is unreal.  I'm betting that your food will bring the experience to the next level.  

My most rememberable part was when I walked down to the catch fence and the draft of the cars blew the hat off my head.  It was unreal.   Enjoy brother!!  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Make sure you look both ways before you cross the track, those cars are going faster than you think.  :o

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Dude, I'm so jealous. Talladega is on my bucket list. Sometime in the next few years, I'm taking my son down there for a weekend.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Firemanyz
    Firemanyz Posts: 907
    Options
    Since you will be 30 min away you may think about visiting the CMP store in Anniston. Not sure if your are interested in guns but this is where they sell M1 Garands. Check out the website thecmp.org for more info. I was just there last weekend. Aside from smokers it’s another expensive hobby. Also they have a new high tech shooting range right near the race track. 
  • spray
    spray Posts: 57
    Options
    We went to both races at Daytona for many years in the infield.  Stopped going a couple years ago when we sold our motorhome, but it was always a good (and sometimes crazy) time.  The racing is just part of the show.  Met a lot of interesting and good people, including some drivers, crew members, and even team owners.  Talladega is much crazier from what I've heard.  You're in for a good time and your neighbors are going to love you.
    Large BGE and MiniMax in St. Petersburg, FL
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Options
    sigh....I used to have so much fun at the races!  Unfortunately I just don't have any friends now who enjoy them as well.  Also got tired of Jimmy Johnson dominating the Monster Mile.
  • 55drum
    55drum Posts: 162
    Options
    Before the restrictor plates came out....the old saying was

"If you want to test your car at high speeds...go to Daytona...If you wanna air your engine out...go to Talladega"
  • Webass
    Webass Posts: 259
    Options
    When we lived in Alabama we had 4 grandstand tickets to the May race.  One year we swapped them for 8 in the infield.  Rented a 15 passenger van, loaded it up with food/drink and had a ball.  I felt like we were in the middle of a Mad Max movie.  The infield crowd was as entertaining as the race.  Have fun!  

Lenoir City, TN -  Bama fan in Tenn Vol's backyard. 

LBGE, Weber Spirit 

• Thatgrimguy
    Options
    This is so freaking cool! This is so freaking cool!! This is so freaking cool!!!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I'll have to put it on my bucket list.
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Awesome brother! That will definitely be good times. When are you going up? If you end up with a little spare time before the race there is a great place called CMP talladega marksmanship park that has a really sweet sporting clays course you should check out. We were there today and it is top notch, I've never seen anything like it. If that's not your thing then disregard. Not trying to detract from all that is talladega nascar, have fun!
    LBGE
    AL
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    Firemanyz said:
    Since you will be 30 min away you may think about visiting the CMP store in Anniston. Not sure if your are interested in guns but this is where they sell M1 Garands. Check out the website thecmp.org for more info. I was just there last weekend. Aside from smokers it’s another expensive hobby. Also they have a new high tech shooting range right near the race track. 
    I live close to the track and the CMP. The CMP is a great place to go spend a few hours or the day.
    They have nice outdoor pistol ranges and an excellent electronic scoring 600 yd rifle range. The entire complex is first class. The first time I visited I couldn't believe how nice it was. Every range has a range officer who is there to ensure safe shooting and they don't mind helping an inexperienced shooter learn how to shoot.

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    Having lived close to Talladega for the last 25 years, it is remarkable how attendance at the track has decreased over the years. 
    In it's heyday, the I-20 interstate would be packed with campers and all sorts of improvised ex school bus campers.
    I think I have read the track was setup for 175k spectators. It has been reduced to around 80k now.
    I have noticed a few campers on I-20 this week, I heard the the last race attendance was better than it had been in many years.
    I hope everyone who goes to the race has a great time. looks like the weather is going to be excellent. 
  • TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
    Options
    Guess I missed @Firemanyz post about the cmp, my bad with the redundancy.
    LBGE
    AL