Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Trying to improve boneless chicken breast

Options
Trying to eat a little less red meat these days so I thought I would cook some boneless, skinless chicken breasts.  Rubbed them in salt, pepper and garlic powder.  Had some home made salsa from the weekend. Decided to spread the breast in salsa then some hatch Chile cheese.  After I pulled them off I added some sliced avacado.  I know the plating is sloppy but it was really really good.  Don’t know why the pics ended up in the middle and out of order.  Thanks for looking. 
Midland, TX XLBGE

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Love chicken breasts! Never understood why they get such a bad rap. Season well, but mostly... don't overcook. Easy. Like the avocado idea.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Options
    Thanks @Carolina Q the salsa was really spicy so the avacado helped. Used peppers from the garden. Underestimated how hot they were. 
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • Woodchunk
    Woodchunk Posts: 911
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Nice, hot peppers are a go to item in our house. We usually cook a whole package of the breast at a time, later used for wraps, salads, sandwiches, pot pies. They freeze well.
  • Kitarkus
    Kitarkus Posts: 181
    Options
    Skip the cheese and you'd have a downright healthy (and still delicious) meal.  

Sincerely,

Mom
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    My suggestion is to leave the bs breast at the store and buy the bs thighs. Instant upgrade! Yours do look quite nice however. Enjoy!
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    My suggestion is to leave the bs breast at the store and buy the bs thighs. Instant upgrade! Yours do look quite nice however. Enjoy!
    "A three-ounce portion of chicken breast without the skin contains 142 calories, 3 grams of fat and .9 grams of saturated fat," she says. Meanwhile, a skinless chicken thigh of the same size contains 170 calories, 9 grams of fat, and 3 grams of saturated fat.
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    dmchicago said:
    "A three-ounce portion of chicken breast without the skin contains 142 calories, 3 grams of fat and .9 grams of saturated fat," she says. Meanwhile, a skinless chicken thigh of the same size contains 170 calories, 9 grams of fat, and 3 grams of saturated fat.
    I never said it was better for you. Just better!
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options
    Looks good.  I make them fairly often.  I coat with my favorite rub for max flavor and pull at the optimal internal temp and they turn out really well.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Nice cook. Chicken breast is good eats when embellished. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,171
    Options
    That looks really good, and most importantly, healthy. I have got to get busy eating better and doing more meals like this. The lower-carb approach works for me if I can just get disciplined to adhere to it.
  • drumdudeguy
    Options
    I cook them Dixie style. Marinade in Italian Dressing beforehand. At the end of the cook, add Honey Mustard, Cheddar Jack Cheese, and Bacon.
    Charlotte NC - Large Big Green Egg (2009) w/Nest and Handler
    Accessories: PSWoo, Woo, Adjustable Rig, Smokeware Cap and Temperature Gauge
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Nicely done sir!
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Options
    Thanks everyone!  I prefer dark meat (insert pun) but the boss lady like the breast. What can I say.  So that’s what I grabbed.   Trying to go low carb. 
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • cheeaa
    cheeaa Posts: 364
    Options
    I cook them Dixie style. Marinade in Italian Dressing beforehand. At the end of the cook, add Honey Mustard, Cheddar Jack Cheese, and Bacon.
    I'm no honey mustard fan but we do Italian breasts all the time. Will definitely add some cheese and bacon next time. Thanks!
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    Biggest improvement would be to add bone and skin. 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,618
    Options

Three good slits, stuff with a relish made from chopped garlic, picadillo peppers, sun dried tomatoes and top with a little mozz. Lots of flavor in there, you just can't flip them on the grill.  
  • bgebrent
    Options
    Legume said:

Three good slits, stuff with a relish made from chopped garlic, picadillo peppers, sun dried tomatoes and top with a little mozz. Lots of flavor in there, you just can't flip them on the grill.  
    Excellent embellishment brother. 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    My biggest boob enhancement, was sous vide.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Chicken breast is kinda like mushrooms, eggplant, zucchini etc.. It all depends on the real taste, what you put on it. We like breaded and cheese. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • bgebrent
    Options
    Focker said:
    Help me here. SV adds nothing to knowing how to cook a lean protein to temp.  But I see the fail safe. 

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Focker said:
    Help me here. SV adds nothing to knowing how to cook a lean protein to temp.  But I see the fail safe. 

You can cook it to 140 instead of 165. Retains much more moisture.
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Focker said:

You can cook it to 140 instead of 165. Retains much more moisture.
    What he said.

Raw chicken is the scariest thing in most kitchens, bug wise, but a breast gets hammered at 165.  The SV allows you to kill bugs just as dead but more slowly by holding a low temp for a long time (140 in this case).  This also applies to whole turkey breasts, depending on how big an SV you have.
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    Options
    Boneless, skinless, tasteless.  Give me the thighs!
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Trying to eat a little less red meat these days so I thought I would cook some boneless, skinless chicken breasts. 

The breast look outstanding. Be careful what you say around here.....if word gets out about "less red meat", you might get kicked out of Texas. =)
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Focker
    Options
    Second biggest boob enhancement if not using sous vide...

Cooking them gently, lower and slower, raised direct.

High heat and boobs do not play well together, causing them to dry out/firm up.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Focker said:

SV improves the texture for reasons mentioned above.

Chicken breasts are one of the best uses for SV IMO.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    To each his own. Tried 140-145° (I forget which) SV breasts once, but won't be doing it again. Center was far too cool and the texture was like chewing on a wet sponge. Not an enhancement at all. Much prefer traditionally cooked 165° breasts.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    They look good, but, erm, avocados are kinda pure fat. Not that fat is bad. And, uh, cheese, depending on the kind can be just a hard form of butter.

FWIW, I've come across some good Asian marinades and rubs that do wonders for bland. Lemon grass, kaffir lime leaves, ginger, rice vinegar, etc. Might just be because its different, but the zing is good.
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    I like to use Caesar dressing as a marinate for chicken breasts. Leave it on thick and grill it nice and brown. Yum!
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    Grab a pork tenderloin instead. 

It takes flavor better, cooks faster, and it stays moist.

Its also as good or better in in terms of fat and calories against a B/S less breast  
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax